+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jack Osbourne Out Of Rehab

Jack Osbourne Out Of Rehab

Jack Osbourne Out Of Rehab

May 29, 2003
    http://www.teenhollywood.com/d.asp?r=38478&cat=1027

Ozzy Osbourne's troubled son Jack is out of rehab.

The 17-year-old reality TV star was spotted out of his rehabilitation clinic a little more than a month after his parents checked him in to Las Encinas Hospital in Pasadena, California, and then Visions Adolescent Treatment Center in Malibu for alcohol and marijuana abuse.

On May 24th, Jack was seen with his parents Sharon and Ozzy at Ralph's supermarket in Malibu, where the family has a beach house. A subdued Jack helped his dad load their car with shopping.

Later, Jack went out with a pal for coffee.

A Visions employee has refused to say whether or not Jack has completed treatment.

Liar Liar pants on fire Snaggletooth's Avatar
    I guess the big questions this year will be.
    1' how bad will Jack's hair be
    2. How fat will Jack be off drugs
    3. How long will Jack stay off drugs
    4. Who will be the first to take a crap on the rug : Jack or the dogs?
    19,000 dollars a year will buy a lot of Champagne....for the right woman

JR.
    LIFE IN THE POP LANE
    Osbournes reveal maturity amid the madness

By Renee Graham, Globe Staff, 7/8/2003

When it was announced in April that Jack Osbourne, the 17-year-old son of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, had checked into a Pasadena, Calif., hospital for what was then called ''an undisclosed addiction,'' the news was met by some utterings of ''I told you so.''

Given his father's well-documented battles with various addictions, some believed Jack's problem was inevitable. Add in the image of the family's life presented on MTV's ''The Osbournes'' -- an anything-goes orgy of late-night parties, club-hopping, and underage drinking -- and many viewed Jack's entry into rehab as dully predictable.

What was lost amid all the snickers and tongue-clucking was that it was Jack's courageous decision to tell his parents about his addiction and to seek help.

Unlike so many celebrities -- and even those who aren't famous -- Jack didn't seek help only after wrapping his car around a tree or waking up in a stranger's home. He didn't overdose; he wasn't ordered into rehab as an alternative to jail time. He identified his demon and, with his parents' support, acted to eliminate it.

Jack will discuss his addiction to the prescription painkiller OxyContin as well as his recovery tonight at 11 on an ''MTV News Special'' with reporter Gideon Yago.

Shortly after entering Las Encinas Hospital, Jack said his addiction began when he ''got caught up in my new lifestyle,'' referring to the instant fame he achieved after the family's MTV reality show became the most talked-about new program of 2002. (Jack also said he was deeply affected by his mother's diagnosis with colon cancer last year.) Once the show premiered, Jack became as big a star as his father, who's been a heavy-metal icon for more than 30 years, first as Black Sabbath's lead singer and then as a solo artist. Now in its third season, ''The Osbournes'' has never shied from showing Jack's hard-partying ways or his parents' effort to curb them. During the show's inaugural season, Ozzy poignantly warned his son against the dangers of substance abuse. ''I will not have dope smoked in my house or drugs at any time in my [expletive] house,'' he said. ''Quit this [expletive] smoking and [expletive] 'cause it ain't gonna lead to anywhere but bad places. Look at me.''

On tonight's special, Jack admits that while partying earlier this year, he observed his friends and had a revelation about the dead-end lives they were leading.

''A lot of them were near 30, unemployed, living off their parents,'' he tells Yago. ''They were heroin addicts, they were the world's biggest couch potatoes. And it was like, `I don't want to be like that. I don't want my life to be controlled by a drug.' '' Still stoned, Jack went to his mom's room, sat on her bed, and said, ''I'm going to pack my bags. I'm ready to go. I want to go. I need to go.''

It's a safe, sad bet that there are millions of teens abusing drugs or alcohol. How many of them, even if they were desperate for help, would willingly share that information with their parents? That Jack could not only recognize his problem but turn to his parents says something about the honest communication Ozzy and Sharon have established with their children.

Still, on the MTV special, Ozzy says he and Sharon bear some responsibility for Jack's problems because they ''never set any boundaries.''

''We just let them have the freedom. Sharon and I are still learning. We're not parents that say `We're always right,' because we're not.'' Whatever Ozzy and Sharon's failings as parents, they also deserve credit. If they allowed their children too much freedom, they also provided an open door, as viewers have witnessed, for those children to discuss what's happening in their lives. Say what you will about the Osbournes' unconventional home and lifestyle -- but when Jack got into trouble, when he needed his parents most, he knew they would be there. And because they were, they may have helped save their son's life.

This story ran on page F1 of the Boston Globe on 7/8/2003.

''We just let them have the freedom. Sharon and I are still learning. We're not parents that say `We're always right,' because we're not.'' Whatever Ozzy and Sharon's failings as parents, they also deserve credit. If they allowed their children too much freedom, they also provided an open door, as viewers have witnessed, for those children to discuss what's happening in their lives. Say what you will about the Osbournes' unconventional home and lifestyle -- but when Jack got into trouble, when he needed his parents most, he knew they would be there. And because they were, they may have helped save their son's life.
    I think that raises a good point.

Those kids know that Sharon and Ozzy love them. They didn't judge Jack, they got him help.

Kelly and Jack are unbelievably lucky for all their parents have given them.

Jack is so mature to discuss his addiction.

What crap, just a buch of PR to reabilitate his image so poor Mommy can get her new talk show off the ground without the embarrasing questions she would surely face on here failure as a mother....

This whole family is about the dollar

+ Reply to Thread