+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MTV staged key scenes of Osbournes, claim stars

MTV staged key scenes of Osbournes, claim stars

From Mediaguardian UK:

MTV staged key scenes of Osbournes, claim stars

Claire Cozens
    Wednesday November 27, 2002

Some of the best-known scenes in The Osbournes, the reality TV show that became a cult hit in the US, were staged for the cameras, two of its stars claimed today.

Ozzy Osbourne's teenage children said two pivotal episodes in the first series were engineered by the programme's producers for dramatic effect.

They included a family meeting where an attempt by the veteran rocker and his wife Sharon to have a frank discussion with their outspoken offspring led to an explosive row.

"The most fake thing about that show was the family meeting, because that was an MTV idea," said 18-year-old Kelly Osbourne.

Her brother Jack, 17, said another scene in which Sharon calls a pet psychiatrist to deal with the family dogs who resist being house trained was also generated by producers.

"The dog and the dog therapist, that was an MTV thing," he told US television network ABC.

But the teenagers' claims were fiercely denied by their father.

Ozzy Osbourne's publicist said: "Nothing is ever scripted or planned on The Osbournes. Ozzy and Sharon would not have done it unless it were all real."

MTV also said any suggestion that producers had manipulated the action was false.

"You could not stage anything with that family. That is the beauty of the show," said a spokesman for the station.

The claims came as the eagerly awaited second series of The Osbournes was aired in the US.

Series one was MTV's most successful production and one of the most talked-about shows in America.

That whole dog therapist thing did seem pretty fake to me, just like a lot of the stuff on the Anna Nicole show seems fake.

The family meeting, though, seemed pretty real. I kind of got the impression watching it that Jack and Kelly didn't know they were being filmed because it looked like it was shot from a "hidden camera" up by the ceiling. I'll bet they're pissed that they didn't know they were being filmed, so now they're telling everyone it was fake.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

That's kind of the impression I got, too, Holly. They didn't like it, their friends gave them crap about it, so they say "yeah, it was all faked by MTV".

I find them wildly entertaining, whether they are staged or not.

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    Ozzy has said that the show is reality based when he was on Howard Stern. Especialy the part about him and the remote control, Ozzy said he was encouraged to act out.

That's true, they've never claimed this was a true reality show. It's, I believe they've said, a "reality-based family sitcom".

+ Reply to Thread