Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From Bad to Worst For ABC's "The One"

From Bad to Worst For ABC's "The One"

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_6119.asp

From bad to worst for ABC's 'The One'

Second airing of 'Idol' wannabe sinks deeper

By Toni Fitzgerald
    Jul 20, 2006

Expect “The One” to be getting the boot any second now.

One night after posting ABC’s worst-ever series debut, "The One: Making a Music Star" sank even lower in its second outing, from a 1.1 to a 1.0 adults 18-49 overnight rating in its 10 p.m. timeslot. What’s worse, a rerun of the show’s two-hour Tuesday premiere averaged a startlingly low 0.6 from 8 to 10 p.m., tying with UPN for sixth in the timeslot.

It may end up the lowest-rated night in ABC’s history among 18-49s. The network managed just a 0.7 for the evening, tying the WB for fifth place and giving ABC its worst night of the year. It finished behind Univision every hour of the night, and earned just one-third of the Spanish-language broadcaster’s average at 8 p.m.

The 10 p.m. results episode of the show, in which the wannabe singers began to be eliminated, averaged a mere 2.6 million total viewers, 600,000 fewer than the previous night.

It’s hard to imagine ABC, which already yanked “How to Get the Guy” because of low ratings, letting this stinker remain on the air much longer.

The show is an “American Idol” ripoff that follows the contestants off stage and into their personal lives as they reside and train together while competing for a recording contract. The network promoted the show well, and other singing competitions, such as CBS’s “Rock Star: Supernova” and Univision’s “Cantando Por un Sueno,” have performed decently this summer. But viewers simply weren’t interested in bringing a “Real World” element to a simple singing competition.

Meanwhile, Fox led for the night among 18-49s with a 3.5 rating and 11 share, ahead of NBC at 2.8/9, CBS at 2.3/7, Univision at 1.6/5, ABC and the WB both at 0.7/2, and UPN at 0.6/2.

At 8 p.m., Fox led at 3.2 for the first hour of "So You Think You Can Dance," followed by NBC's 2.5 for "America's Got Talent," CBS's 2.2 for "Rock Star: Supernova," Univision's 1.9 for "La Fea Mas Bella," WB's new and repeat "Blue Collar TV" at 0.9, and ABC and UPN each at 0.6 for the first hour of "One’s" rerun and an "America's Next Top Model" rerun.

At 9 p.m., Fox's second hour of "Dance" was No. 1, averaging a 3.8, while NBC's second hour of "Talent" followed at 3.6. CBS's rerun of "Criminal Minds" was No. 3 at 2.2, followed by Univision's "Barrera de Amor" at 1.7, WB's "One Tree Hill" repeat at 0.6, and UPN and ABC tied again, at 0.5 for "Eve" and "Cuts" reruns and the second hour of "One."

At 10 p.m., CBS's "CSI: NY" rerun led at 2.5, ahead of NBC's "Law & Order rerun at 2.3, Univision's "Don Francisco Presenta" at 1.2 and ABC's 1.0 for the "One" results show.

Among households, NBC led for the night with a 5.7 rating and 10 share, ahead of Fox at 5.4/9, CBS at 4.9/9, Univision at 1.9/3, ABC at 1.7/3, WB at 1.4/2 and UPN at 0.9/2.

Looks like this show may be on the road to the graveyard. Can't say I'm surprised. Or unhappy.

I actually watched that 2 hr recap last night and all I could think off was "man, the talent sucks!!!" After watching Rockstar:Supernova and then tuning to The One, there is a large dropoff of talent/skills. These poor folks on the show make Taylor Hicks seem like America's most gifted musician. I mean, these amateurs were rubbish.

A couple of the kids could sing very well and I liked a bit, Scott Granger and Austin Carroll, but overall the talent was kind of weak. I am not surprised this series is going down in flames, way too many posers and not enough talent overall. I wonder if gets a 2nd week or not.

This is in no way shocking news.

I really tried to watch last night. I made it to the first singer and when the judges heaped mountains of praise on her, I turned the channel.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

one guy looks like a mini-George Micheals without the voice, another resembles the hormone-ragin' twin brother of AI's Will Makar. The poser chick is Carrie Underwood w/an identity crisis. One kid reminded me of Flock of Seagulls w/that crop of lettuce on his head. Bob Marley and Lenny Kravitz supposedly had a love child, arrgghh, I could go on and on but these contestants were a bunch of caricatures.

Awful show.

FORT Newbie
    Some of the kids had talent, but the production is terrible. They're running the vocals so much more up front than the music. With no effects, and so much mid range on the singers, it would be tuff for anyone to sound decent. The "music experts" are just awful. They want to box these kids in so they can jump on them later to move out of their comfort zones. It's all so predictable.

I wonder what the CBC thinks of this. They bumped their news so they could simulcast it and consider it a good set up for the Canadian version they are planning in the fall.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

It may end up the lowest-rated night in ABC’s history among 18-49s.
    Bwaaa haaaaa. Serves them right for thinking they can serve this crap up to us on a plate, with so little effort, and not pay the price. CBS' Rock Star is having problems and that's a GOOD show. This one? It's like take Idol, add Big Brother, subtract Rock Star and divide by the IQ of the smartest person to watch this show for more than 10 minutes.

And THEN to put it up the exact same NIGHT as Rock Star? Come. On.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast