+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: From Bad to Worst For ABC's "The One"

FORT Fan

Nick and Aubrey

WEek 2 had surprsingly little about the Nick and Aubrey hookup except to make it look like a huge mistake for Aubrey. They spent a lot of time on Nick flirting with the female judge.

Austin also came across as more or less incoherent whenver he had to answer a question.

At this point, they don't have a "character" to make the show genuinely interesting, though I think they're trying to do that with Michael Cole who seems to be a rock take on Bill Murray's medley singing lounge act.

Quote Originally Posted by boskeroo View Post
    WEek 2 had surprsingly little about the Nick and Aubrey hookup except to make it look like a huge mistake for Aubrey. They spent a lot of time on Nick flirting with the female judge.

Austin also came across as more or less incoherent whenver he had to answer a question.

At this point, they don't have a "character" to make the show genuinely interesting, though I think they're trying to do that with Michael Cole who seems to be a rock take on Bill Murray's medley singing lounge act.
    I agree with you about Nick and Aubrey. I don't even like the female judge, Kara.

They spent a lot of time on Nick flirting with the female judge.
    That I thought showed what a loser he probably really is. I hope he gets the boot tonight, he can't sing nor is his background story remotely interesting.

The other one who came across as slightly delusional was Jackie Mendez who blamed singing first for her appearance in the bottom 3. She went on about no one watching at the beginning, the sound being horrible etc. I thought the judges should have just said stop making excuses Jackie, you were in the bottom 3 because you sucked up the stage. Disco hits should never be turned into a Ramada Inn lounge song. Yet she did another lounge singer impersonation last night too.

Also Adam not being able to sing. This revelation came out after he performed last night and the judges are going to work on that. If he can't sing what the hell is he doing in a singing competition?

Let's keep the thread focused on the article. Discussion of the show should be taken to the show discussion thread.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I wonder how many of these contestants tried out for American Idol
    and didn't make it!! I think I am going to give this show one more
    week to see if there are any improvements. It doesn't help that they
    are in the same time slot as LCS and Rock Star.

Not sure if this link/information belongs in this thread. Although considering the negativity and conjecture of the article, it seems to be the perfect response from ABC.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/theone/index.html

Too bad, so sad, NOT!

FORT Fan
    I'm not surprised with One's poor ratings. Fox clearly steps up the ante - after Idol, its Dance. America's Got Talent has some magic, rap, juggling, etc. and of course Regis - so it's still chugging along. I like CBS' Rockstar the most, but I guess most viewers are into pop than rock. Having said that, CBS did have a reality segment with Rockstar in its first season, which didn't go well, so they yanked it off the air and now post it online on MSN. People watching music competiton are interested in the music and not others' personal lives (we got the soaps for that). No wonder, the One (= Idol + Big Brother) concept is not flying. Plus I hate the host - can't understand a thing he says. Ryan Seacrest is the best and Brooke Burns is a little irritating but she works too. Well now, the secret is out. One has been cancelled by ABC.
    Last edited by SurferBlonde; 07-28-2006 at 02:25 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishindilly View Post
    Some of the kids had talent, but the production is terrible. They're running the vocals so much more up front than the music. With no effects, and so much mid range on the singers, it would be tuff for anyone to sound decent. The "music experts" are just awful. They want to box these kids in so they can jump on them later to move out of their comfort zones. It's all so predictable.
    The backup band in the first episode was just as bad as the singers themselves. It sounded like they were using a $49.00 Casio keyboard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123