Poll: Do you use a VCR, TiVo, or neither?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: VCR, TiVo, or Neither?

VCR, TiVo, or Neither?

VCR, TiVo, or Neither? What do you use?

I haven't quite talked my wife into buying a TiVo yet. She kind of likes using commercials for getting other stuff done.

JR.
    VCR, 2 of them

agentcarver
    Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivo.. .

Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivo...

(Say like the "Ricolo" in the drug ads)

We use a VCR but with 2 kids we go through them every 6 months so my next investment will probably be TiVo.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock.

vcr... 2 of them here as well.

here's a sad statement. i don't really even know what tivo is or how it works.

between that and having no cable, i really am behind the times!

I use 2 VCRs. I'm awfully slick with 'em, too. I'm like a living Tivo.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Sid, TiVo is a VCR without a tape, but instead, a 30gig hard drive. It digitally records two shows on different channels, while you watch a third. Or, you can record a show on one channel while watching another you've recorded.

The nice thing with them is, if you let TiVo get 5 minutes into a show, you can watch it using TiVo, and fast-forward through commercials.

TiVo also knows your viewing habits. You tell it you like Clint Eastwood, it'll automatically record anything with him in it for your viewing pleasure later. If it thinks you like dramas with Sally Field guest-starring, it'll catch 'em all.

Also, if you want to record, for example, Alias, it'll let you record either just first-run showings, or all of them (it'll catch all the re-runs that show up on ABC Family, for example).

It uses a subscription service so it knows exactly what's on when, so you don't have to punch in the channel or anything. Just the name of the show, or actor, or whatever. You have to pay like $12.95 per month for the subscription, or a one-time "lifetime subscription" for $249. That's in addition to the TiVo box, which runs around $300. You can also get an additional hard drive, etc.

TiVo is definitely what every hard-core TV-watcher needs. I need one!

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    You gotta have a Tivo---I just can't explain how it has changed the way I watch TV.

John, the price has gone down too...you can sometimes find the machines cheap -- we got ours for $119. Also the lifetime sub is gone now and the monthly fee is down to $4.99/month.

Efficiency is the key here. You can watch TV quickly, efficiently, and when you want. I will never watch TV without Tivo again- ever.

Tivo- because life is too short for crappy tv.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

BF, I was just on the TiVo web site about a week and a half ago, and they still had their "old" prices up. When did they change?

If I can get a subscription for 5 bucks, I'm all over that. And did you get yours NEW for $119, or from like eBay or something?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast