Poll: Do you use a VCR, TiVo, or neither?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: VCR, TiVo, or Neither?

I voted TiVO, but only because I have the DiSHTV TiVO wanna be. Not nearly as cool as TiVO, but still LOVE IT.
    Can't record one and watch another (unless you're watching something you have recorded... then you can also record something else). Can't record two at the same time either (which would make sense with the previous statement)
    CAN pause, rewind, FF etc.
    It truly is a cool toy
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I am adding on late here, but let me add another voice for TiVo.

Fantastic idea, and when it is running it is great. The only down side is that if you ever need to get them on the phone, you had best be ready for an hour on hold.

Check out eBay for good buys on the players.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Bill, I've heard that they're not the best-built objects in the world, and the chance of a breakdown (with a long service turnaround) is pretty high. I wonder if buying from eBay would be advisable for something like this? I know Amazon has the new Series2 right now for $300 (after a $50 rebate)...And so did Best Buy in last week's ad.

If I can get one cheaper, I'm all for it, but not if it might increase the chance I have to go without it

I just want to be sure.

I bought one off eBay, but then again you do have to be certain of the seller.

Mine was a refurbished model, and I got it for about 50% off. Now the division of the company I run here in Portland sells a lot of high end electronics (alas, no Tivo's) so I knew who the refurbisher was, and that the equipment would probably be fine.

The receivers are way too expensive in my view considering that they are really a subscription box with a hard drive. But that is a function of the manufacturing really being limited to Sony and Phillips. I expect that to change in the next year.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

I read that one of the problems with the "real" TiVo boxes breaking down is that they subcontracted out the production. But after a lot of complaints, they bought the company who made the boxes, and started making them themselves. That should help a little, but all of those old, poorly-made boxes are still out there, somewhere.

The Sony and Phillips knock-offs should be better quality, but I don't think they're making anything Series 2 compatible yet.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Bill, glad to see you are a Tivo enthusiast as well!

Agree with you completely on the phone thing! In fact (TRUE STORY), the last 2 times I have called I have put the phone on the foyer table after calling them, left and walked the dog (a little over a mile), come back and still had 10-15 minutes to spare
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

BF, yes it is true, their customer service is trying to say the least.

But when it works, which is almost 100% of the time, it is indispensable.

Careful, Bravo! You're jeopardizing your chances to be Tivo's spokesperson with negative talk. This could be a huge money-making gig for you, if you play your cards right!
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Yeah, they need me to be a consultant first!

As Bill said, the product is indispensable. The problem is that they haven't kept the inventory and amount of customer service lines up with the demand. And with xmas just around the corner, they need to get with it!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast