Poll: How Long Will Reality TV Be "Hot"?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Long Will Reality TV be "Hot"? Guests CAN Vote!

How Long Will Reality TV be "Hot"? Guests CAN Vote!

For a while now we have been hearing that Reality TV is a "fad". Yet every season new reality shows hit the airwaves. How long do you think this will last?
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

FORT Fogey

Let's keep it real!

I think Reality Shows will be around a long while. Like all trends (i.e. quiz shows, variety shows, sitcoms, courtroom dramas etc.) they will lose their edge unless a steady stream of new ideas are implemented in the formats of the new shows. Audiences are fickle and tire quickly.

We have already seen twists on basic ideas, such as "Help, I'm A Celebrity..." which really pissed Mark Burnett off because they 'borrowed' a lot from "Survivor."

"Joe Millionaire" was a "The Bachelor" rip-off in an exotic location with a slight albeit tacky twist.

However, the good news is that these shows are still less expensive to produce than a sitcom where the stars are paid $1 million or more per episode.

When the reality show is excellent, like "The Amazing Race" and "Survivor," then it's far more entertaining to me than anything with fake pathos or a laugh track.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Amen CaliGirl!

If they would stick to quality reality TV, the genre would get a lot more credit.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

FORT Fogey
    LOL, Birthday Girl, you and I have been on the same page since DAY ONE!

I agree CaliGirl. I was actually thinking about Game Shows when I thought of the poll. I don't know when they first aired, and many have come and gone (and come again), but I find it hard to believe people thought they would be around for a long time.

And Bravo, you hit the nail on the head!

Leo
    Premium Member
    It's going to be as part of the TV scene as sitcoms, dramas, and the such. There might not be as many ones (don't count on Am I Hot? 2 ever appearing) as there are now, but those that survive will be the quality ones.

hottie-boom-bottie!!! lilgiggly's Avatar
    of course most everyone in here is gonna vote that "reality tv is here to stay". after all, this site is called "FANS of reality tv". ya know!?!
    :monkeybut

Well, true, but just because we're fans doesn't mean we like all the shows. I would pay money to never have to watch a freakshow like Are You Hot?

plus we're intelligent enough to know that even if we like something it may not last

Also, around to stay may be in the lead, but it didn't get 100%, right now it's at 59%

CCG
    Originally posted by lilgiggly
    of course most everyone in here is gonna vote that "reality tv is here to stay". after all, this site is called "FANS of reality tv". ya know!?!
    that's exactly what i was thinking lilgiggly!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast