Poll: Could you perform an unprepared 5-minute stand-up routine? (Guests may vote)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could you do an unprepared 5-minute comedy act?

Could you do an unprepared 5-minute comedy act?

Saturday, on NBC's Meet My Folks (10pm Eastern), we meet Melana Scantlin, 2002 Miss Missouri, and her folks. We also meet the 3 unlucky hopefuls vying for a trip with Melana.

The parents take the kids to a comedy club, where the guys are asked to perform a 5-minute stand-up routine. Could you do it?

No way! I wouldn't know what to say! I can be funny, but stand up comedy would be difficult.

jin
    Absolutely not! They might laugh at the look of stark raving terror on my face tho.
    That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.
    Dorothy Parker

When I see more than three or four people looking at me(expecting me to say something) I get very nervous and start crying. My heart beats rapidly and I fall just short of a panic attack.

On my wedding day everything was wonderful as I walked down the aisle, until everyone stood and looked at me. All these people who loved me and came to see me marry the man I love threw me into a near panic attack. It was all I could do to get down the aisle and up the little stairs to the preachers. I am sure it did not seem so intense to everyone else, but I was sweating and my heart was pounding like crazy. I focused as hard as I could to get the vows out and by the time we kissed I was Ok. Two seconds before walking down the aisle I was laughing and joking with my dad. Two seconds after I kissed my husband I was laughing and joking again and as happy as can be.

A five minute comedy act would surely killl me.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I could do it, I may not be funny but I can do it. I just stand up and talk. There are days I could just talk about my life and people would keel over laughing at how messed up it can get some days.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I could do it.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I've done plenty of embarassing things in my day, so this would be right up there. I don't have a problem with speaking in front of groups, as I've done it so much. But I'd just get up and talk for 5 minutes. I can never remember good jokes on demand.

If you want to teach an 8-hour class of people on a subject they didn't want to be there to learn anyway, you've got to learn how to be spontaneous and funny. Trial by fire.

I'm like nimcp. I can probably stand up there and bullshit my way for 5 minutes, but I probably won't be funny.

I can't tell a joke even if my life depended on it. Once in a while I'll come up with a joke, but that is a rare thing for me.

*typo

Nope..i can't do it~
    i'll probably get some stage fright or something...
    well basically i'm a pretty lame person....i'll probably come up with something that turns people off...
    each time one loves is the only time one ever love...differences of object merely intensify the passion

Insert Funny "Quote" Here nofx242's Avatar
    Id be able to do it, but dont know how much of it would be funny and original.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast