Poll: Could you perform an unprepared 5-minute stand-up routine? (Guests may vote)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could you do an unprepared 5-minute comedy act?

I'd have a hard time feeling comfortable on stage and I don't know how my sense of humour, which tends to be witty and sarcastic, would play off in a comedy act.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

LG.
    I've got at least 5 minutes of lawyer jokes on tap at any given minute, including the "golden rat statute" one which can go 3 minutes by itself if you get going. I'd probably bomb, but that wouldn't stop me from talking for the whole 5 minutes. People with rotten veggies don't scare me.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Fanatic
    I could. It'd be funny, but not funny ha ha.

I could do it.

I think the key would be to take the Carlin - Seinfeld approach and not so much tell jokes, but instead simply make amusing observations about things around you.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I have no problems talking in front of people, but still I voted that I'd run out of things after 30 seconds.

Although I agree that the best comedians take everyday things and just make them funny, it's the making them funny part that I'd have a problem with.

On second thought, We did watch about 3 hours of stand up the other day though, so as long as I could steal all the good stuff (gaffigan, berhendt,....) I guess I could do it if forced.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I used to be really good at talking in front of large groups. I'm really out of practice though. It doesn't scare me, I just say "um" too much.

I just saw a former co-worker on Premium Blend this weekend. It taught me something. You don't have to be all that funny to get lots of laughs. Just go on last after everyone has had a chance to get those giggles goin' and plenty of drinks in'em.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12