(Registered members may comment here)

Finishing the competition in sixth place is Jaeda, the 18-year-old student from Parkersburg, Iowa. Jaeda will best be remembered for missing her beautiful brown locks – especially since she never let us forget in numerous one-on-one moments with the camera. Tyra’s makeover team went for a sculpted, daring cut that highlighted Jaeda’s striking cheekbones…but personally, the style looked a little more Star Trek than Monster’s Ball to me, so I feel her pain. It doesn’t matter what I think, though; has Jaeda come to terms with her pixie cut? The pain of the haircut may be gone, but I suspect that for Jaeda it is the judges’ words that will be with her for a long time.

Hello Jaeda, good morning!

Hi!

I’m from FansofRealityTV.com. It’s nice to talk to you today.

Nice to talk to you too.

What a roller coaster ride, huh?

Oh, yeah! (laughs)

So first off, I have some general questions. How tall are you?

I'm about 5'10" and a half.

So how did you come to be on the show?

Well, my dad was looking on the Internet and there was a list of all the cities that Top Model was coming to for open calls, and we saw that there was one in Minnesota, which is only a couple of hours away from us. My dad was like, "Why don't you give it a try?" And I thought that would just be so awesome because I have always wanted to give modeling a try and stuff. So I went, and there were hundreds of girls. After waiting all day I got my on-tape interview with Tyra. And three months later they called me and said I made the top 30, and then I went to L.A.

So that means you got to interview with Tyra from the very first?

No, it was a tape where someone else would ask me questions, and they would videotape my answers, and then they would give the tape to Tyra to review later.

What was your favorite photo shoot?

My favorite photo shoot was the wobbly runway. I absolutely loved that. At first it was scary and nerve-wracking, but then it was just so fun and exhilarating. I was just like, "ahh!" So that was probably my favorite shoot.

About your hair, do you still hate it?

(laughs) No, I actually like it and I’m keeping it short. It’s funny how things change after the show.

What changed it for you, was it seeing yourself on television?

Yeah, that, partially, and also that I was just in such an unfamiliar environment on the show. It was just fast and unexpected, so once I got home and kind of relaxed, I was like, dude, I love it! It’s kind of late, but, you know.

Do you think you overreacted about the hair? It seemed like you felt like it would make or break you as a model.

Um, to a certain extent I feel like I didn’t have to make such a big deal about it, but that’s just how I was feeling at the time. I couldn’t really, I don’t know. But yeah, I did kind of make a big deal about it. But it was also kind of a big deal.

I heard a rumor that you were quite the cut-up when you were in the house, but we didn’t really see that. How do you feel about your edit on the show?

Yeah. (laughs) I don’t feel like I was portrayed very well on the show. They showed me as kind of pouting around all the time, and I was totally the opposite. I was kind of like Caridee actually, I was always goofing off and that stupid stuff like that, and they didn’t show that side of me. I was really excited to be there and I was really having a blast, and they just didn’t show that. It’s funny what they don’t show.

About the commercial, was it the language barrier, or just the filming that made it difficult? Or was it having to work with that particular male model?

The hardest part was the language barrier. I could deal with the model. He didn’t like black girls, whatever – I could deal with that. But the fact that he was supposed to go over my lines with me, and I didn’t know anything about the language – I think that is what hurt me the most.

There was kind of a leap in logic in what we saw. We saw the model saying that he didn’t like you, or he didn’t like the way you were practicing cozying up to him, and then everyone was talking about him saying that he “didn’t like black girls.” So did he actually say that?

Yeah, he actually whispered that in my ear. Well, not – it wasn’t a whisper, he came close and said, “I usually don’t like black girls.” And I was like, “Okay,” and I don’t know if a camera was on me at that moment or not, but I was kind of like (making dropped-jaw noise). And some of the other girls heard it -- Eugena heard it.

What a jerk.

Well, it was just random, you know? It was like, “Ooookay.”

What was the most difficult part of the experience for you?

Oh, just being away from home in such a critical place. It wouldn’t have been so bad if things had been going a little smoother. But just being judged all the time, and trying to be perfect, and not being able to do what the judges wanted. I tried so hard and they still have stuff to say. That was the hardest part of the experience.

Was there ever a time where you felt like you had done really well and could coast a little?

There were times when I felt I was doing very well, but then I would find out the next day at panel, gosh, I guess I didn’t do so well. Because they all have different opinions. Like, Mr. Jay would say, “That was awesome, Jaeda! You did amazing!” And then I would go to panel, and they would say, “Ew.” So it kind of depended, you had to have a happy medium.

Who were you close to in the house?

I’m close to Brooke. She’s the one I was closest to. Right now I talk to Eugena, and I actually talk to Melrose a lot too. Now I’m more close to Caridee, too.

People always want to hear your opinion of the other girls in the house, so I’m going to read off their names and you could just say a few words about them, okay?

Oh yeah, sure.

A.J.: I kind of liked A.J., it’s just that we never really talked or understood each other. But her personality is really cool.

Amanda: Yeah, I talk to her a lot. I was pretty much friends with everybody. She was a little more spunky than her sister, Michelle. Michelle was a little more laid back and goofy, and Amanda kind of had the attitude. She was nice.

Do you think it was an unfair advantage to have them both in the competition?

At times I did. I thought everything they do the judges were going to like. When they posed together as Siamese twins, I thought that there’s no way they could go wrong there. So it was like, okay, but you know, we dealt with it.

How about Brooke?

Brooke is just an absolute angel, just a sweetheart. I can never picture her being rude to mean to anybody. She always tolerated people being rude to her and she was just a sweetheart about it.

Who was rude to her?

Sometimes Monique would say rude stuff to her. Actually, when [Monique] had that little fit, she said things to everybody, and Brooke was just nice to everybody.

Caridee: She’s a crazy girl, she’s awesome. Her personality is so cool, she’s just like…(pause)Oh, my gosh! She’s nuts, but she’s so full of energy that it just makes everyone around her happy.

How about Eugena?

Some people say they didn’t like Eugena but she was one of my favorite girls. There was just something about her, you know, her little attitude, just the way she would talk. I loved it. She actually was one of the girls I was pretty close to.

What about Melrose?

She was fun. She kind of had an attitude, like she was the best thing ever, and that she was old thought that meant everything she said and did was right. Which, I don’t agree with, but we had some good times. It wasn’t all bad. They kind of portrayed her just as a bitch and that wasn’t what she was.

Megg: That was another one I didn’t really understand. She was kind of like, Rock and roll! and then…rock and roll. That’s all I got. (laughs) She was nice, she was cool and all, but I didn’t really click with her.

Anchal: Hmm, let’s see. She was pretty cool at times. Sometimes she had an attitude – the attitude of Melrose. She and Melrose went at it a bit. It wasn’t all bad, though.

What did you think of Monique?

Monique was sort of weird. I talked to her and I was nice to her – we never had fights or problems – but I don’t know what led her to do the things she did in the house. (laughs) It was just kind of random. I was like Okay, what are you doing that for? I don’t know.

Did you get to know Christian?

She was a sweetheart. She was only there for a little bit and I didn’t get to know her, but she was sweet. She really had her head on straight. She was a smart girl.

Can you tell us what it was like at the acting challenge? It seemed to go from silly and fun to dead serious in a heartbeat.

Yeah. (laughs) I actually liked that. It was like all the emotions we bottled up in the house, all the things nobody talked about – it all came out. It was really therapeutic. We just kind of let everything out. And hearing what the other girls thought, I liked that.

No one ended up with hurt feelings about it?

I don’t think so. I think we all knew what was going on. We were in this situation, in this house together -- I think most people were mature about it. At least, I was. I don’t know, someone could have been upset by it but nothing was said.

So Tyra described you as having nine lives in the competition. Did you take that to mean that you stayed longer than you deserved?

That’s what I felt when she said that at first. She said, (imitating Tyra) Girl, you have nine lives in this competition!” and I was like, “Umm, okay.” But I try to think of it in a positive way, you know, like they kept me around because they must see something in me. They wouldn’t keep somebody around they didn’t want to be there. I try to see it that way but it did upset me in the beginning.

What did you think of Tyra’s speech at the end where she doubted your passion, but that you had great bone structure and just needed a little more time?

The thing is, I have always wanted to model, and she knew that. But I never won any challenges, and I guess she thought I was coasting along. I was really young, I was 18 – I was three months older than Brooke, and she was the baby – so I wasn’t exactly sure what I wanted to do. And I was there with all these other girls who were 21 and up, and they were at a point in their lives where they could say, “I know what I want to do, and I want this.” If modeling is going to be all critical like it is on the show, I’m kind of like, “Shoot, do I really want to do this?”

Did you tell one of the other girls that if you didn’t win the competition, you wanted to go home and have kids?

(horrified) What?

It was Monique [in her FORT interview] who said that.

Oh God, no! (laughing and moaning) No way! Oh my God, no! I definitely don’t want to have kids for a very long time. That’s hilarious, though!

I’ll dig up that interview. You’ll have to come check out the interview on our site.

No, I’m not ready, I’m not even close! I’m still a kid myself, kinda! There is absolutely no way that will happen in the near future.

So what are your future plans, then?

Right now it depends on any offers that I get for modeling. If I get any offers I will move to L.A. or New York or wherever I’m needed. If it doesn’t happen, then I will finish up school and see what happens. If I can get a little work on the side, great, I’ll try to keep the doors open.

Is there anything else you’d like the fans to know?

I appreciate the support. The show really helps girls who want to model, and I appreciate the opportunity. I love the fan support, it really helped.

Be sure to read Monique’s interview by clicking here – it’s the fourth question from the end. Thanks to Jaeda for a fun interview, and many thanks to CW for letting us talk to her.