+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Designated Survivor

FORT Fogey

Re: Designated Survivor

Not sure how I feel about this show yet. In today's political climate, I'm wondering how well the whole premise of it is going over with the American public, most of whom are already frightened about the possibilities of horrific terroristic activity here. I know it pretty much made me feel anxious, thinking "why not ... it could happen."

I do think KS did a good job in the role, minor unappreciated cabinet member dazed and confused yet rising to the occasion at the end of the episode with the quiet yet direct ultimatum to the Iranian ambassador. A good part of the reason I watch certain scripted TV shows is for escapism and entertainment, not to scare me any more than I'm already scared, so I don't know if I want to watch this show. Eventually they're going to have to identify the terrorists, which could have widespread implications. Even if they invent a fictional country or extremist group, it will be obvious that the names were just changed to keep from provoking the guilty.

I think I'm convincing myself to remove this one from my DVR.

It is very serious subject matter. I suspect that it will show just a fraction of how stressful and gigantic being in that role is. It's a very daunting task. I can't say that I would relish it. lol

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I don't understand why Keifer's character was chosen as the Designated Survivor. Really? The White House basically fired the guy but decided he should be runner-up in the event of a disaster??? Why was the Vice-President not made the Designated Survivor? It's hard for me to put away my natural questions and just let them tell the story the way they want to. I just don't see it happening this way in real life.
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

IIRC, they explained at the beginning of the episode that the designated survivor was usually a low level cabinet member and that being chosen to NOT be present at the State of the Union is seen as a punishment (or maybe I just read an article that explained that). If Kirkman was on his way out, the President wouldn't have wanted him there representing the administration in any way. This policy has been in place for a very long time and nothing catastrophic has ever happened, so it's not as if the choice of DS would be taken very seriously like, "Okay, which one of these people will make a good president?"

Wasn't he just told that they were looking into replacing him? He wasn't actually fired yet.
    KTinCT and AlwaysVeg like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

liver spotted hands Realitychick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    IIRC, they explained at the beginning of the episode that the designated survivor was usually a low level cabinet member and that being chosen to NOT be present at the State of the Union is seen as a punishment (or maybe I just read an article that explained that). If Kirkman was on his way out, the President wouldn't have wanted him there representing the administration in any way. This policy has been in place for a very long time and nothing catastrophic has ever happened, so it's not as if the choice of DS would be taken very seriously like, "Okay, which one of these people will make a good president?"

Wasn't he just told that they were looking into replacing him? He wasn't actually fired yet.
    That's a great point, because he wasn't fired yet they were going to make him an ambassador to something. So makes sense that he would be the DS as the president probably didn't want him there.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

Plus the Vice President (as President of the Senate) has to be there. Same with the Speaker of the House.
    KTinCT, sclilred1 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

"Everyone" except the Designated Survivor has to attend the State of the Union (per Wikipedia) - the President (and First Lady), the VP, both Chambers of Congress, and the Supreme Court Justices. That seems rather stupid to me, especially since the time of the event is publicized and everyone (our enemies included) know where and when. In today's climate, it seems like a rather stupid precedent. It leaves the country in a terrible quandary should something like the premise of this show actually occur. That being said, I love Keifer Sutherland and glad he is the star and I liked the episode I saw. I miss "24" and suspect this may be the replacement for the same audience.
    KTinCT and Coco46 like this.

American Idol Deluxe Arielflies's Avatar

I wonder how they'll choose a VP? Will they hold a special election for President and Vice President? I'm looking too far ahead for a TV show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Maybe Dennis Haysbert for VP. ;^)
    Coco46 and annemik like this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, if the Speaker can move up to VP (see Nixon's VPs) and become President then this one surviving member of Congress should be VP, no?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast