Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Punkin
  • 2 Post By redsox girl
  • 1 Post By FireWoman
  • 2 Post By 9Cloud
  • 1 Post By Debb70
  • 2 Post By Marlena_M
  • 1 Post By Critical

Thread: Please help me identify a tv series.

Please help me identify a tv series.

I had a tough night sleeping last night. I'm not sure why, but I was tossing and turning and fully away at 3:00 a.m. I turned on the tv and watched some show. I'm now trying to figure out what it was. I'm not sure if I was groggy or the show was jumbled, but it seemed to be rather scattered.

Here's what I learned about it. I've never seen it before, it was on one of the following USA, TNT, A&E, or Freeform, I think. It was set in modern day and had a cast of male and females who appear to be in their 30's and Americans. They seem to be working on some kind of a secret project or they have some kind of special powers where they work in offices. One younger guy seems to work in a basement. For example, one of the older boss types received a phone call about his grandson being born. He freaked out, because no one knew about that and he asked his female assistant if she had told anyone and she said no. It really bothered him. I don't know why. Later, the girl is talking to another man who freaks out because she knows something that he says no one else should know. I don't know if she is psychic or she's intercepting his text or emails. I don't know if it is supernatural or political espionage. lol

There is this one guy who is smoking pot from a bong and his lover returns and lays down with him and she says how nice she thinks it smells.

There seemed to be a lot of conversation with not much being said. I guess you have to know the backstory.

It seemed all the actors have brown hair.

I've looked at the various networks line ups and nothing looks like this. I don't think it was a movie, thought that is a possibility. It just seemed to look like a tv series episode.

Thanks for any tips. I'm not sure if it's any good, but I wanted to follow up with it.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-27-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Re: Please help me identify a tv series.

Halt and Catch Fire. It is just starting season 3 on AMC. This is one of my favorite shows! It's about early computer start ups in Texas. They just moved to Silicone Valley for this new season. This would be a great binge-watch as I noticed seasons one and two are OnDemand. It stars Lee Pace who was in Pushing Daisies.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Lynda

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Halt and Catch Fire. It is just starting season 3 on AMC. This is one of my favorite shows! It's about early computer start ups in Texas. They just moved to Silicone Valley for this new season. This would be a great binge-watch as I noticed seasons one and two are OnDemand. It stars Lee Pace who was in Pushing Daisies.
    I've been putting off seeing this-you know, Oh I'll catch up at some point. Wow, third season already? I better get a move on. Good for nights of insomnia.
    Punkin and Debb70 like this.
    "In 1948, I voted the Progressive ticket...and in 1952 for Vincent Hallinan. In 1956, I shall not go to the polls. I have not registered. I believe that democracy has so far disappeared in the United States that no “two evils” exist.There is but one evil party with two names, and it will be elected despite all I can do or say."W.E.B. Du Bois

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I have watched the first season and about half of the second season of Halt and Catch Fire.. admittedly I got bored with it. (I love Lee Pace and still couldn't continue on) But, based on what you said you know if it, your description is not that show. The only thing close is there is a "basement worker" but SHE was blonde. As Punkin said, H&CF is all about a computer start up company.. no supernatural or psych powers involved. Your description does have elements of a show called Alphas that was on SyFy. Which, sadly IMO, ended in 2013.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

These scenes were DEFINITELY part of the 2-episode beginning of Season 3 this week. I love it as I worked with computers in the 80's. Did anyone else? The first season made mention of "Adventure", one of the early word games where you are walking in the woods and come across a white building, etc.

Brings back many fond memories.

Thanks to all for your input. My initial impression is that it is Halt and Catch Fire. I'll look closer later. I have to run right now, but at least I have a start. Maybe, I just didn't notice the blondes. lol The new younger guy in the cast who appears to work in a basement looks familiar. In a scene that I saw, he was frustrated about something and said that he had an idea. The guy he was venting to, looked VERY interested and said, WHAT'S your idea? I got the feeling he might steal the idea. Anyway, if that sounds familiar, then it is Halt and Catch Fire.
    Punkin likes this.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Definitely H&CF

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Halt and Catch Fire definitely isn't a show you can just jump into easily. Better to watch the whole thing from the beginning because A LOT had happened and the relationships are complicated. I'd also recommend a healthy knowledge of computers and how they work or you may be hopelessly confused. I love the show, but I'm happy I worked in IT for a number of years, so I can follow most of the "shop talk!"

We do have a thread about the show, so let's move any discussion over there: Halt and Catch Fire on AMC
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread