+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Magicians - SyFy

Re: The Magicians - SyFy

However, Julia has taken the knife from Alice, and while the rest of them are injured, with Penny's hands cut off, Julia holds a knife to the Beast's throat. Julia makes a deal with the Beast to kill Reynard the Fox, and they leave, with Quentin the only one left standing.
    I couldn't believe that was the ending. It was so quick. Also I didn't hear the reason Julia and Martin vanished, so thank you.

Showing Alice swallowing the stuff and her eyes flashing, makes Julia's tale of rape and once the block on her memory is removed, her eyes flashing and the reason she is able to hold the knife. Why does it always come down to the power of men? I mean after Eliot is deemed royalty and married to the knife makers daughter, he has to get her pregnant before morning. Huh? No wonder Jane could never make it there or anywhere.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The Magicians Season 1 Episode 13
    Have You Brought Me Little Cakes
    Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 11, 2016 on Syfy

The Magicians - Season 1, Episode 13: Have You Brought Me Little Cakes - TV.com

Season 1 concludes with Quentin and Julia using time magic to get to Fillory, where they try to catch up with the students who are 70 years ahead of them searching for the Beast.
    Time loops, what confuses me about the time loops is that The Beast and The God Ember and the President of Brakebills are aware of them. Normally the only person aware of it is the person who is caught in it per some very good episodes of Stargate and on some other TV series. I hope this is explained a bit.

They throw some interesting twists into this episode. Just because the two main story arcs present Quentin and Julia as the main characters they are not necessarily the heroes where everything hangs on them to do certain things. When they say each person has a part to play that is very true therefore being very much a team victory versus a hero with sidekicks who die along the way and he mourns them but manfully carries on. What is so brilliant is that Quentin realizes he may not be The Beast killer that Alice is the better magician and she has a better chance to defeat The Beast, still it is heroic that he is that self-aware and can make the correct choice. Then there is Elliot as a Fillory King, everyone in this story is looking for purpose and knowing magic and using magic does not necessarily give you a purpose but it is amazing to watch Elliot transform as he accepts his destiny. What is shocking is Julia’s story as to what she thinks happens and what really happens and what she finally does. This was a fantastic ending to a very high quality show and I look forward to season 2. I just wish other writers would take notice of how to do a proper finale, giving an ending to the season and hooking you with enough of a cliffhanger that you must see what comes next.
    No goat killers on my island.

I just finished watching the finale. WHAT! I can hardly wait for next season.

Season 2 Episode 1 - Knight of Crowns - aired 25 January 2017

"The Magicians" Knight of Crowns (TV Episode 2017) - IMDb

In the aftermath of their clash with The Beast, Quentin and his friends scramble for a new plan, while Julia and The Beast strike a dangerous deal.
    Q runs through the forest looking for help and stumbles on a witches cottage very similar to a gingerbread house he gets her aid for a vial of his blood. When they return to the wellspring, Q finds Alice alive. She is still juiced with "godpower" and came back from the dead, saved Penny from bleeding to death, and brought back Eliot and Margo.

Julia is off with The Beast plotting vengeance against Reynard the Fox.

Penny has his hands sewn on and healed in a magic healing river and manages to insult the guardian who puts a spell on Penny's hands.

Meanwhile, Alice, Eliot, Margo, and Q follow the info from Q's Fillory books and find and crown themselves the High Kings and Queens of Fillory. Great bit about Swayze (yes, Patrick Swayze).

Enjoyed the episode it runs smoothly from the season 1 finale.

I tried to get into the new season and just couldn't. I found it very confusing.

Season 2 Episode 2 - Hotel Spa Potions - aired 1 February 2017

"The Magicians" Hotel Spa Potions (TV Episode 2017) - IMDb

Quentin, Alice, Penny and Margo seek a new weapon. Eliot struggles with being king. Julia and The Beast find an unexpected ally.
    Julia and The Beast/Martin Chatwin make plans and he constantly sings "show tunes" or what sound like "show tunes". They figure out that Reynard the Fox is after Hedge witches. The pattern being there are five, doing a ritual to a mother goddess and he rips out their hearts. The Beast tells Julia they need bait as Reynard knows who Julia is. He get Marina. Julia tells Marina what is going on but Marina doesn't really belive she needs to help Julia. Marina contacts a frenemy on the West Coast to warn her about Reynard killing Hedge witches but when she travels to San Francisco to meet with her, Marina finds her dead with her guts ripped out of her body. Marina seeks asylum at Brakebills but is denied. Marina ends up at Julia's apartment and agrees to help her.

Meanwhile Eliot finds out there are problems in Fillory and that as king he needs to fix them. Turns out the farmers always had magic and the crops grew themselves. Eliot draws on his painful childhood memories of growing up on a farm and provides the farmers with Royal Sh*t to fertilize the crops.

Meanwhile Q, Margo, Alice and Penny return to Brakebills to find any books and instructions about Battle Magic so they can defeat the Beast. After they are prepped with spells and cacodemon weapons they return to Fillory.

Again lots of stuff, the Julia sequences do not drag as they did in season 1. Julia does fight with desire for revenge and getting rid of her feelings of helplessness because of her rape. The Beast/Martin Chatwin offers her a partnership, a collaboration but can she trust him.
    Last edited by waywyrd; 04-08-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Season 2 Episode 3 - Divine Elimination - aired 8 February 2017

"The Magicians" Divine Elimination (TV Episode 2017) - IMDb

Quentin and friends prepare to face The Beast again, while Julia conspires with The Beast and their new ally to lure and trap Reynard.
    The culmination of two plans ends in victory for one and death for two.

This episode is basically the tie up of book one and it was smart of the writers/showrunners/producers to not to try to fit everything in into season 1. The two main plot lines are the four, Eliot, Margo, Q and Alice still trying to kill The Beast/Martin Chatwin and Julia and The Beast trying to trap and kill Reynard the Fox using Marina as bait. Both traps/plans reach a stage where they are being played out and look as if they will be successful until the need of Eliot, Margo, Q and Alice to have The Beast interferes with Julia's plan to kill Reynard. Penny snatches The Beast and Julia hooks a ride with him. Both Julia and The Beast are caught in the groups trap and Alice is about to hit The Beast with a mega spell when Q breaks the shield spell to rescue Julia. The Beast escapes the trap, Alice throws the spell and only injures the Beasts arm. To repower the spell Alice fills up with magic goes Niflin and while she destroys the Beast she is out of control and Q releases his cacodemon to stop what is left of Alice. Meanwhile Penny takes Julia back to New York. Julia finds a dead Marina and no Reynard. The scenes between Marina and Reynard were grusome especially when he tortures her cat familiar. Total yuck scene and the animal better be dead then live as Reynard left it. Total, total, yuck. It was very disturbing to me as a pet owner. Reynard is a total F**K and needs to be stopped but I totally don't get why he is using the ritual to call Lady Underground and then torture and kill her potential followers.

I must say the total comic relief to find that the God Ember has fouled the Wellspring of magic with his poop was interesting and strange especially when the Beast/Martin tried to open the door to the Wellspring and the smell was simply too much as was the design of the doorway to the Wellspring which looked very much like an outhouse.

Season 2 Episode 4 - The Flying Forest - aired 15 February 2017

"The Magicians" The Flying Forest (TV Episode 2017) - IMDb

Quentin and Penny embark upon a quest. Margo works on a way to help Eliot. Julia seeks out an old friend's help.
    So what happens the day after you defeat the Big Bad and your girlfriend dies in the attempt and you are mortally wounded? You get a new wooden shoulder courtesy of the Centaur physicians.

Eliot and Margo, espcially Eliot are now realizing they have to grow up and act like adults and actually rule Fillory. Now that the Big Bad is dead people are showing up where before it seemed and empty land with some enchanted beings populating it. Eliot wants to leave Fillory but can't but Margo makes a clay golem that Eliot can pilot and they go to Brakebills.

Julia finds Kady in a drug den and gets her to help fight Reynard. The need a spell to revive a dead Marina and find out what happened. They need a book from Brakebills for the spell.

Q wakes and remembers that Alice is dead. Penny is also at the Centaurs having his cursed hands looked at. The River Guardian really had messed with Penny's hands and the Centaurs won't help as they are scared of the curse and it seems the River Guardian.

Margo and Julia met as Julia tries copying the spell from the book she found. They have words and Margo helps Julia magically copy the book.

Q wants to find the White Lady and make her bring back Alice from the dead. Penny's hands try to kill him. Q chops off Penny's hands. They go to find the White Lady hoping she will grand them their wishes. They have to walk through the Flying Forest to find her. The Flying Forest actually is full of drugged air that makes them fly high therefore the name and not actually flying plants.

Eliot is at Brakebills in the golem body. The president agrees to help Eliot rule Fillory. They discuss the magic brown outs. Embers Divine Elimination is still messing with the Wellspring of Magic. In the golem body Eliot has sex with another student as well as having sex in his body with his wife.

Julia and Kady wake up Marina who tells them that a girl managed to vanish Reynard out of the world 40 years ago.

Q and Penny find the White Lady who grows Penny new hands. She cannot bring Alice back and Q just wants to go home. She does offer to separate him from his Shade but he refuses and she says he is wise as he will find a way back to Sadness.

Basically a transition episode between Book 1 and Book 2 showing the afterwards of a battle and folks picking up and getting on with their lives and seeing Q in his default mode of sad and depressed makes me want to stop watching altogether as that is what happened the first 3 or 4 episodes of season 1 and it was so hard and depressing to watch.

Season 2 Episode 5 - Cheat Day - aired 22 February 2017

"The Magicians" Cheat Day (TV Episode 2017) - IMDb

Life without magic proves difficult for Quentin. Julia deals with upsetting news. Eliot and Margo are faced with a new threat in Fillory. Penny returns to old stomping grounds.
    Q is working in an office. Emily, the girl from season 1 who tried to make herself pretty and ended up melting half her face and Alice's brother Charlie tried to fix it and went Niflin and died, works in the same office. A world without magic, the folks get by jerking off in their offices and drinking alot. Bored without magic, totally f**ked with magic. Q and Emily, get together after work get high and drunk and have weird sex or not at her apartment. She casts a spell on Q that makes him look like the professor she loved. The Russian one in the Antartic. Emily then casts the spell on herself and looks like Alice. Emily considers this a Cheat Day when she can cast spells. The next morning, Q feels a little quilty about what happened. He is glad to have been with Alice but does not want to do it again as Emily suggests. Emily is a bit hurt and put out that Q does not want to do it again. On this way home Q finally sends an email to Alices parents telling them she is dead. Once or twice on his way home it seems as if he sees Alice mouthing Help Me or is it delusion.

Penny is told the only way his hands maybe fixed is to go to the Antartic and get the Russian professor's help. Both are rude to each other. The Russian reveals that magic may be leaving the world and what is a magician with out magic. He is building a battery to store as much magic for himself as possible. Penny can still travel but not take people with him, he agrees to go get something from Fillory for the professor.

Russian Professor's name is Mayakovsky.

Julia and Kady research old newspapers trying to find the girl Marina told them about. Julia is pregnant and goes sees a doctor about an abortion. Either Reynard or the baby or is the baby a vessel for Reynard kills the doctor doing the abortion.

Eliot's wife tells him she is pregnant using a real life talking rabbit. Get it Rabbit Test. Some attempts to kill Eliot. The Fillorians United want the Children of Earth gone from Fillory. He calls himself FU-Fighter. Trouble is Ember is the one who decreed only Children of Earth can be kings and queens in Fillory. It was fun watching Eliot and Margo decide how to rule and of to kill or not kill the assassin, who is/was Fen's boyfriend.

Season 2 Episode 6 - The Cock Barrens - aired 1 March 2017

"The Magicians" The Cock Barrens (TV Episode 2017) - IMDb

Quentin teams up with Alice's dad. Margo uses her powers of diplomacy while Penny tries to save a kidnapped Fillory. Banishing Renard comes with some surprises.
    Q, attempts to raise Alice's Niffin while Margo and Eliot watch. Nothing happens and Q returns to Earth to attend Alice's memorial service and promises to return to Fillory to help rule. At Alice's parents home, Q sees her again, and breaks into her dad's study and into a armoire to find an Egyptian book of the dead. Both Alice's father and mother try a spell to return Alice. Alice's Niffin appears and tells Q that she has been hiding in the tattoo on Q's back that had held the cacodemon.

Julia and Kady find Dana, the woman who had vanished Reynard 40 yrs ago. Dana tells Julia she can banish Reynard but she must do it while giving birth to the baby. Dana had her baby but gave him up and he is now an influential man. Kady rescues Julia from Dana's basement and they take this beast that emits magic and has hid Dana from Reynard all these years. Julia and Kady take the beast (a Haxenpaxen) and Reynard finds Dana and punishes her. Ever notice the trail of bodies in Julia's wake?

Back in Fillory, Eliot and Margo greet Prince Ess of Loria (pronounced Princess) who wants a 50/50 split of the Wellspring and to marry Margo. Margo explodes and Prince Ess has his magicians transport Castle Whitespire to the Cock Barrens of Loria. Later Margo negotiates with Prince Ess (in bed) while Queen Fen (Eliot's wife) tells him that she knows Bayler the Fu Fighter in the Dungeon. Margo changes her mind and agrees to marry Ess, but Eliot feels betrayed by Fen and now thinks the marriage should be called off. In the meanwhile Penny was trying to find some moss for Mayakovsky, and also searches for the missing castle. Penny figures out that the castle is still there but covered by an illusion. He travels to Eliot and Margo and tells them. The final scene looks as if Margo will be agreeing to a marriage when in fact she lets the Lorian's know about their trick and declares war on them surprising Eliot as he was down for a bitch slapping but not a war.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast