+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Magicians - SyFy

FORT Newbie

Re: The Magicians - SyFy

Anybody care to make any guesses how this first season will wrap up now that a 2nd season is guaranteed? Readers of the books may have an advantage, although the show runners have changed a great deal. For instance, who is the beast? There are two story arcs going on at the same time: Q and the Brakebills kids, Julia and the Free Traders. In the books, both these arcs have terrifying turning points. We this first season end with one or both? I don't think the Brakebills arc can end the same simply because all the actors and actresses have been confirmed back for season 2.

I didn't like this last episode. It got strange and confusing. The end of the episode seemed forced for titillation sake. If it continues down this confusing path, I'll tune out. I didn't read the books so I have no idea if it is following them.

Quote Originally Posted by annemik View Post
    I didn't like this last episode. It got strange and confusing. The end of the episode seemed forced for titillation sake. If it continues down this confusing path, I'll tune out. I didn't read the books so I have no idea if it is following them.
    The only reason the ending sex scene happened is in the group's last battle magic practice session Penny and Alice did not bottle their emotions they just meditated and practiced. Margo, Elliot and Quentin DID bottle their emotions and you are only supposed to do it for 3 hours, they went over that time limit and did 3.5 hours. They were told the rush of emotions is very dangerous as it is very intense and on top of that they got drunk together so with lowered inhibitions plus a reaction to extreme emotions BOOM stuff happens. At least they did not show it in graphic detail more as fuzzy memories. On top of that sex is a major trigger point for Alice as she grew up in a house with a lot of orgies and sex happening and kids don't want to see that they want their parents to act like adults and not self indulgence whiners. Finding Q in bed with Margo and Elliot was an epic disaster for Q and Alice. The entire scene was handled rather beautifully especially when the camera pulls back and you see Alice and I am not sure sure if she wants to vomit or practice battle magic the trio.

I like how the show is handling the consequences of magic. In the Harry Potter films you just wave a wand and TA DAH stuff happens and if you mess up that's OK the professor will fix it, it's all fun and games. On the TV show Once Upon A Time they constantly preach "all magic comes with a price" and it is dealt in a very heavy handed manner. Here on The Magicians the cost of magic can be your life, your eyes, your mind, its more that you really need to know what you are doing else the magic will not do as you command and you won't like the consequences. Or as in what happened to Margo, Elliot and Q it is more a reaction to doing the spell they did and not handling it very well or not realizing exactly what could happen. It more a natural effect than a karmic order that bad must happened like they do on Once Upon A Time.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 04-10-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    Arielflies and annemik like this.
    No goat killers on my island.

The Magicians Season 1 Episode 11
    Remedial Battle Magic
    Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 28, 2016 on Syfy

The Magicians - Season 1, Episode 11: Remedial Battle Magic - TV.com

Quentin and friends get a crash course in battle magic prior to a showdown in Fillory. As preparations take place, frustrations build and lead to some students growing closer, while others are pushed apart. Elsewhere, Julia and Kady have their limits tested while on a mission with the Free Traders.

I liked this episode. I like that we see more of Julia's explorations into the existing supernatural world that exists side by side in the city. Luv'ed the vampire's commentary that Pixies are dicks and lycans are rapists and the shapeshifters all headed out west in the '50's. I liked that the vampire Bjorn was not the typical stereotype that we viewers see everywhere of what a vampire is and how they are. I wonder if it really is a god visiting Julia?

I liked that the group was smart to use a probability spell to find out it giving the button back would solve their problems.

I liked Q's speech to Kady that just because someone who you gave an s@#t about does you wrong does not mean you stop caring.

Luv'ed the professor's speech to Penny about when someone cares about you and offers you help don't be a dick take it.

The Magicians Season 1 Episode 12
    Thirty-Nine Graves
    Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 04, 2016 on Syfy

The fall out of Margo, Elliot and Q's ménage à trois starts the episode with the three plus Alice and Penny all in a room with Penny discussing the trip to Fillory and no one saying a word but it's obviously a HUGE issue. When Alice goes to drink her sorrows in her room Penny follows and they have sex that Q hears through Alice's door. Nothing is shown. After I like Q saying his night with Margo and Elliot was a stupid mistake after drinking and overdosing on emotion magic and not on purpose while Alice's night with Penny was meant to hurt Q. That entire scene was handled very nicely. Later when Alice is being Alice and feeling uncomfortable with Penny, I luv Penny's reply that is was just fun, that they are friends and not feel awkward and not to do that bulls@$t Alice routine and get down on herself let it go and focus on solving the problem of getting to Fillory. Very nicely done.

I must say that when we first met Margo and Elliot they looked like the cool kids, the wise masters, but now they come across as petty, and selfish, and self-centered, alcoholics and drug addicts. Pretty pathetic especially when Elliot almost gets killed and messes up Alice's invisibility shield cause he is high on a psychedelic carrot.

I was surprised how quickly the Free Traders that Julia and Kady were hanging out with were able to get in contact with the Goddess and have their petitions granted.

Liked that Julia and Q were able to get back together and that the story so far is a
    Click to see Spoiler:
    massive time loop that Jane Chadwin set up and the title refers to the number of times Q has been killed and that number 40 is the last time he will have a chance to do anything as Jane Chadwin is dead and cannot reset the time loop.
    Did not see that one coming. It does explain the references that the Librarian makes to Penny and the gang.

The entire gang was able to travel to the Neitherlands with the idea of going to the library to find a way into Fillory. Q was separated from the group and sent back to Earth. He reconnects with Julia and they use time magic to go back to England of April 19th, 1942 two days before Jane Chadwin goes on a trip to Fillory and they follow her using the portal she did. Because Fillory is magic they should be able to find there rest of the group with no problem or at least that is the plan.

Each episode is crafted beautifully and until I think about and start writing comments I don't realize how complex each episode is and how much information is packed into each episode. Can't wait for the season 1 finale.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 04-10-2016 at 02:42 PM.
    annemik likes this.

You explained Episode 12 beautifully, Bearcata. When I watch it, I get somewhat confused, but your review helps with clarity. I find this series much more intellectually challenging than most of the current fantasy/sci-fi shows. Eliot is probably the most complicated character. I think his current state of mind has been adversely affected by his previous relationship with Michael(?). He had fallen in love with him and then when finding he was a bad guy, he was forced to kill him. Now, he doesn't seem to care what happens to him, but he selfishly allows his emotions to endanger his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by annemik View Post
    You explained Episode 12 beautifully, Bearcata. When I watch it, I get somewhat confused, but your review helps with clarity. I find this series much more intellectually challenging than most of the current fantasy/sci-fi shows. Eliot is probably the most complicated character. I think his current state of mind has been adversely affected by his previous relationship with Michael(?). He had fallen in love with him and then when finding he was a bad guy, he was forced to kill him. Now, he doesn't seem to care what happens to him, but he selfishly allows his emotions to endanger his friends.
    To clarify, Michael was not a "bad guy" he was possessed by The Beast and that was what was so horrific was that Eliot killed a man he loved or at least was intensely infatuated with but he knew was possessed and not himself. What is even worse was it Michael's personality Eliot was in lust with or was it The Beast's. See there is tons of stuff to go over in your mind and anguish over. Bad for the character delicious for the viewer.
    annemik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    To clarify, Michael was not a "bad guy" he was possessed by The Beast and that was what was so horrific was that Eliot killed a man he loved or at least was intensely infatuated with but he knew was possessed and not himself. What is even worse was it Michael's personality Eliot was in lust with or was it The Beast's. See there is tons of stuff to go over in your mind and anguish over. Bad for the character delicious for the viewer.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'd forgotten Michael was possessed. That made it even more emotionally difficult for Eliot to handle. This series has plot twists and turns gallore!

The season 1 finale was EPIC!

Some summaries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ma....S._TV_series)

Episode 11: "Remedial Battle Magic"

When probability magic shows them that the only chance they have of not being killed by the Beast is to travel to Fillory, Quentin, Alice, Margot, Eliot, and Penny work on learning battle magic to prepare for a showdown. The Beast is driving travellers insane and leading them to kill themselves, including Penny's mentor, so Penny uses drugs to try and block out his voice, leading to an overdose. Professor Sunderland helps him shut the voices out. After a successful and then drunken night, Quentin sleeps with Margo and Eliot; Quentin wakes up to find Alice at the end of the bed. Kady and Julia search for clues to help them summon a god, and Julia is visited in her dreams.
    Episode 12: "Thirty-Nine Graves"

Alice and Quentin fight following his infidelity, and she sleeps with Penny as revenge. Quentin, Alice, Penny, Eliot, and Margo travel to the Neitherlands, where they are ambushed and Quentin falls back to Earth. The others hide in the library, until Eliot gets them kicked out, after which they find Josh Hoberman, a member of the missing class from Brakebills, who leads the rest to the fountain that leads to Fillory. Meanwhile on Earth, Quentin talks to Dean Fogg, who reveals to him that Eliza was Jane Chatwin and that she had been using an enchanted watch given to her by Ember to create a time loop and attempt different ways of killing the Beast. After 39 failures in which Quentin had died, this time she changed the starting circumstances by making Julia be rejected from Brakebills so that she would learn magic by herself. Quentin finds Julia, tells her this, and they find a way into Fillory, where they are 70 years early.
    Episode 13:"Have You Brought Me Little Cakes"

Having travelled to Fillory, Julia and Quentin discover they've been followed by Martin Chatwin, who they promise to help. They commission a blade to help them kill the Beast, and meet the Watcherwoman, a future Jane Chatwin, who takes them to when they need to be. They rejoin the group, collect the knife, and Eliot marries a local girl as he has been named future High King. Quentin and Julia meet Ember, who gives them power and unlocks Julia's memories, revealing that her friends had accidentally summoned Reynard the Fox, who killed her friends and raped Julia. Quentin and Julia rejoin the others, who had been rescuing Victoria and discover Christopher Plover, who reveals that the Beast is Martin Chatwin. Josh and Victoria escape, and the rest travel to the source of Fillory's magic to ambush the Beast. However, Julia has taken the knife from Alice, and while the rest of them are injured, with Penny's hands cut off, Julia holds a knife to the Beast's throat. Julia makes a deal with the Beast to kill Reynard the Fox, and they leave, with Quentin the only one left standing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast