+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The Magicians - SyFy

Re: The Magicians - SyFy

I have to wonder where & for what audience this show was filmed for. There have been a lot of F bombs dropped on this show, in various contexts. I wonder if it was originally supposed to be on HBO or Showtime or something?

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I have to wonder where & for what audience this show was filmed for. There have been a lot of F bombs dropped on this show, in various contexts. I wonder if it was originally supposed to be on HBO or Showtime or something?
    I really noticed the f bombs in episode 3 but they are doing something to the sound so you don't really hear it, even in the close captioning they do this "faa@$".
    No goat killers on my island.

The Magicians Season 1 Episode 4
    The World in the Walls
    Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 08, 2016 on Syfy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ma....S._TV_series)

Quentin wakes up in the mental hospital he admitted himself to in the first episode, where his memories of Brakebills and magic are treated as delusions. It is revealed that Julia and Marina have produced the elaborate hallucination, and the only way to get him out involves summoning of a demon bug. Dean Fogg lowers the Brakebills wards to do so, allowing Marina and Julia in, where they steal Marina's memories of her time at Brakebills before she was expelled. Quentin, with help from his visions of Jane Chatwin and Penny, is able to escape. Marina cuts Julia off after being reunited with her memories.
    The reason this dream that Qunetin wakes up in is so real is that he had committed himself before that he does suffer a bit from depression and lack of confidence and that deep inside he does think or thought there was something wrong with him. It is his fear, his weakness and that is why is was hard to realize what was going on. Only someone who really knew him would be able to attack him like this and late in the episode you realize that Julia is responsible with the help of Marina. Julia is just playing a mean joke on Quentin to get him back for hurting her, for dismissing her magic. But later you realize that Marina is playing Julia and a lot of people. Marina was at Brakebills and 3 months before graduation was kicked out and at that point they can't wipe all your memories of Brakebills but they can strip your mind of it's knowledge of magic. Katy also helped set up the spell and she does help the group find Quentin but she is also safe from Marina's vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    SyFy has just green lighted a second season.

On February 8, 2016, the series was renewed for a second season consisting of 13 episodes which is set to air in 2017.
    Arielflies likes this.

The Magicians Season 1 Episode 5
    Mendings, Major and Minor
    Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 15, 2016 on Syfy

The Magicians - Season 1, Episode 5: Mendings, Major and Minor - TV.com

The students are distracted by personal issues when their focus should be on training for the upcoming Welter's Tournament

Quentin visits home after his father is diagnosed with inoperable brain cancer. He struggles with accepting that magic cannot save his father, and eventually opens up to him about magic. Julia tries to find other hedge witch safe houses in New York after being cut off by Marina with the help of Pete, but nobody else has nearly as many spells. Marina erases James' memory of Julia to prevent her telling him about magic. Alice returns to Brakebills, and Eliot and Margot try to use her connections to get a mentor. Penny practices astral projection, and discovers a woman chained in a dungeon by the Beast. Based on the crest on the doors, Quentin surmises that Penny has travelled to Fillory.

I know Quentin is supposed to suffer from depression, that desperation, that wallowing in deep, dark, lonely places, comes across so much sometimes that I find it uncomfortable to watch. Overall in one sense it's good people who can do magic find a place to do it in but there are so many things that can go wrong, horribly wrong. The entire 3rd class that went missing and Penny actually found one of them, a girl named Victoria chained up in a dungeon by the moth headed man. OTOH Q dis paring over his father's cancer diagnosis was uncomfortable but it broached a subject about if you have all this power or access to this power why can't Q fix his dad and should he? Then there is Julia, I wonder if she is an example of current kids who are raised today, praised and awarded ribbons for even participating in events and get hissy fits when things are not given to them when they ask. I do wonder about the boyfriend loosing his memories as I didn't think Julia was going to tell him anything. Very much an episode where everyone was questioning should they be there, what are they doing, should they be doing it, and who are they, and what do they want to do with their lives?

The Magicians Season 1 Episode 6
    Impractical Applications
    Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 22, 2016 on Syfy

The Magicians - Season 1, Episode 6: Impractical Applications - TV.com

The first-year students face something called "The Trials," a series of unconventional and emotional tests, which result in expulsion from Brakebills for those who fail.

The first-years must pass a set of challenges called "the trials" set by the third years. During these, Quentin and Penny reconcile, Alice and Quentin share secrets, and Kady confesses the truth about her using Penny. Quentin turns into a goose at the end of the trials. Meanwhile, in an attempt to steal spells from Marina, Julia teams up with an older hedge witch who also has connections to Marina. The older Hedge witch turns out to be Kady's Mother and dies in the process of stealing the cabinet of spells from Marina's safe house.

I liked this episode it wasn't full of Quentin's usual despair and that makes it much more enjoyable to watch. The kids are under going a trail that is administered in 3 parts, first an impossible spell, second a test that is actually one of communication and team work, and lastly revealing a deep secret to another, those who past are transformed into
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Canada geese and fly away

Then there was the Julia story arc, she is still trying to find a safe house and hedge witches that will help her. She teams up with Hannah, Kady's mom to steal Marina's spells and Hannah ends up dead. Turns out Hannah tried to steal something before and 2 people died and Marina cleaned up the mess and in turn Kady in enslaved to her. Kady admits to Penny that she has been using him, lying to him during their revealing secrets right after he tells her he is falling in love with her.

The Magicians Season 1 Episode 7
    The Mayakovsky Circumstance
    Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 29, 2016 on Syfy

The Magicians - Season 1, Episode 7: The Mayakovsky Circumstance - TV.com

An uncompromising professor pushes boundaries both in magic and in the personal lives of his first-year students. Meanwhile, Julia must decide whether she's ready to accept help and what that means for her future as a Magician.

Quentin and his peers travel to Brakebills South in Antarctica to study with Professor Mayakovsky, who puts them through several challenges. Eliot and Margo prepare to travel to Ibiza, and with the help of newly-met Todd and Mike, summon a Djinn as a gift for the organisers of the party. When Eliot starts sleeping with Mike, he chooses to stay behind and Todd goes with Margo. Julia's sister picks Julia up from the police station following the death of Kady's mother, and insists on helping her to avoid their mother having Julia committed. Mayakovsky engineers Alice and Quentin into a relationship, and tells Kady that her mother has died and she is no longer welcome at Brakebills.

Liked it as it was really intense on how to use magic, on how to be magic.

Kady lets down her shields and lets Penny read her but so does Maykovsky and he tells her her mom is dead and that they know she was stealing at Brakebills and it doesn't matter that Marina forced her into it so she had to decide and leaves so Brakebills won't punish her and Penny can train as a Traveler.

Eliot and Margo were trying to produce "magical gin" instead they got a "real djinn" as in genie in a bottle.

Julia basically agrees to go to rehab else her mother could force the choice, it also looks as if Julia's boyfriend may have gotten his memory back that was a bit unclear.

The Magicians is halfway done with season 1 it is 13 episodes long.

The Magicians Season 1 Episode 8
    The Strangled Heart
    Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 07, 2016 on Syfy

Eliot and Mike grow closer while Quentin and Alice spend time apart, until Mike, while attacking Quentin, stabs Penny with a cursed blade. Recognizing a similar event in the Fillory and Further books, Quentin and Alice are able to save him. Mike pretends to have blacked out and remember nothing until Eliza confronts him, at which point he recognizes her as Jane Chatwin, and seems to kill her, before being killed by Eliot. In rehab, Julia meets a chaplain named Richard who was trained at Brakebills and who introduces her to religious magic.

As I mentioned before the series has finally hit it's stride with a good balance between self exploration, further education at Brackbills, Julia exploring magic outside of Brakebills and the mystery of the Beast. While this show has a tendency to be dark and full of despair with both Quentin and Julia just wallowing in dark depression and melancholy and that simply drags the show down, the writers are handling that better and you don't get depressed along with the characters. I like how the therapist, Richard, at the rehab center didn't let Julia's intellectual cynicism get him angry and he didn't simplify the concept of letting your higher power help you and guide you. I like how Richard explained that there were other options to using magic then what the hedge witches were doing. His comparison to hedge witchery as drug dealing was a hoot. Then there was Q and Alice still trying to figure themselves out as a couple. Q seems more settled, more sure of himself. Penny, I don't know we need to see more than the angry, young black man. Overall I liked the episode, it was interesting to see that the Beast took control of one of the alumni, Mike, and basically used him as a "meat suit" (also a Supernatural term) to attempt to kill Q. Why is it so important that Q be killed? What is the mystery of Fillory?

Thank you for not actually showing Mike kill the rabbit.

The blood, though, the blood, then the dragging out the entrails through the neck which transformed into the knife. I felt so bad for Eliot as he descended into the conclusion that Mike was not the happy, pretty boy he thought he was.

Good episode.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast