Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bearcata

Thread: Shadowhunters - Freeform aka ABC Family

Shadowhunters - Freeform aka ABC Family

Shadowhunters Season 1 Episode 1
    The Mortal Cup
    Aired Tuesday Jan 12, 2016 on Freeform

Shadowhunters - Season 1, Episode 1: The Mortal Cup - TV.com

In the series premiere, a woman discovers on her 18th birthday that she comes from a long line of Shadowhunters, human-angel hybrids who hunt demons.
    In the first 5 minutes this TV show is way better than the 2013 movie ever was. Yes, it is aimed as the young adult market but that is what ABC Family or now Freeform is shooting for. The producers are handling how the supernatural and mundane world exist side by side quiet well and it makes sense visually. There are strong models for women and young girls, Jocelyn fighting off the Circle, Isabelle fighting demons with in a white vinyl mini outfit and a whip, and Clary accidentally killing demons with a sword. The best acting jobs were done by Jocelyn and Simon; Alex Lightwood's the weakest. Overall I good start to this fantasy series. The producers are planning to cover the first 3 books in two seasons.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Shadowhunters - Freeform aka ABC Family

Shadowhunters Season 1 Episode 2
    The Descent Into Hell Isn't Easy
    Aired Tuesday Jan 19, 2016 on Freeform

Shadowhunters - Season 1, Episode 2: The Descent Into Hell Isn't Easy - TV.com

Jace discovers Clary's memories are the key to finding Jocelyn and the Mortal Cup, but she has no recollection of her other life; and the Shadowhunters go to the City of Bones to face the Silent Brothers. Meanwhile, Luke continues his search for Clary; and Simon tries to come to terms with his best friend's new life.
    The world building continues and the story is actually quite fast paced if only the acting could match the world building this show would be terrific. I do think Simon is doing the best with the lines and the part he has been given. Isabelle would be terrific but she needs to turn it up a couple of notches she is depending too much on the red lipstick and barely there outfits instead of giving subtle attitude and a lot of it. Alec is a blancmange. All the kids need to turn up the acting. Overall this series is so much better than the movie and hopefully they will get their acting chops in line as this could be a really fun series and a huge hit for ABC Family/Freeform.

love loved the books. I actually really liked the movie too.... was disappointed that they never made a 2nd. The series has potential. I really like the characters they cast for Clary and Jace. I'm a bit worried that they are moving away from the book a bit and they are moving at record pace (wow... 2 episodes in and she's already been to the Silent Brothers?). I hope it sticks around a bit because after reading the books, I always wanted to watch them play out on film/tv, but I'm worried it isn't going to get the following. I like how they placed it right around PLL time slot, I hope that's enough to keep it around long enough to get some people hooked.

Shadowhunters Season 1 Episode 3
    Dead Man's Party
    Aired Tuesday Jan 26, 2016 on Freeform

Shadowhunters - Season 1, Episode 3: Dead Man's Party - TV.com

Clary convinces Jace, Alec and Isabelle to help her save Simon from The Hotel DuMort; Jace helps Clary learn more about her powers; Isabelle searches for intel; and Alec begins to question Jace's motives. Meanwhile, Simon meets the leader of the vampires, Camille.
    Still moving fast, this episode is the best so far, Clary is doing more and we are seeing some depth to her character. Simon also has more to do. I always felt sorry for Simon in the books as it seemed he was totally out of his depth. Unlike other book and TV series were the human friends become valuable allies author Cassandra Clare really developed Simon in that direction as she could have. I do give that the casting director certainly knows how to cast for the slinky young female and thankfully they are not dumb blondes I leave that to Jace. Alec stepped up his game this episode also as in the books I found him to be a bit of a whinny wimp especially in regards to his relationship to his parabati. Izzy was fleshed out also. I like a girl who know what she wants and is comfortable in her body and can fight in a mini bandage dress and heels. It's nice to see that actors getting some layers to their characters and giving them some depth. It is a tad uneven but if they continue to improve at this pace we should see some really decent stuff in about 4 or 5 episodes.

FORT Fogey

Great start with the first three episodes! I am hooked. Much better casting than the movie with the older characters. How I do love Aidan Turner and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, but Isaiah Mustafa and Allan Van Sprang are better suited to the roles of Luke and Valentine. The story is moving fast, and I'm ok with that as I've read the first book and saw the movie. Looking forward to see what comes next!

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    Great start with the first three episodes! I am hooked. Much better casting than the movie with the older characters. How I do love Aidan Turner and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, but Isaiah Mustafa and Allan Van Sprang are better suited to the roles of Luke and Valentine. The story is moving fast, and I'm ok with that as I've read the first book and saw the movie. Looking forward to see what comes next!
    The writers and producers did mention that since one book basically covers 1 week that they were going to mash up the first 3 books a bit and that we viewers would see a much faster pacing. To be honest the faster pacing and the presumed adrenaline explains the quick attraction between Jace and Clary that seem so forced in the movie where the pacing seemed rather slow.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

Shadowhunters Season 1 Episode 4
    Aired Tuesday Feb 02, 2016 on Freeform

Shadowhunters - Season 1, Episode 4: Raising Hell - TV.com

The Shadowhunters discover that Magnus Bane, the High Warlock of Brooklyn, may know how to access Clary's memories, so they attempt to lure him out by throwing a party. Meanwhile, Simon doesn't seem like himself after an encounter with a Downworlder.
    The story continues, Clary is getting more scene time, the actress still needs time to settle into the role and perhaps not screech so much. I wish I felt any chemistry between Clary and Jace, I think if the actor who plays Alec had the Jace role we would see more chemistry between Clary and that Jace.

Magnus Bane mmm.... good to see didn't feel the gravitas the role cries out for.

Isabella blossoms a bit this episode.

Glad to see Simon get some meaty scenes.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I too loved the books.. and liked the movie. I have some issues... one is the accents, or lack of in some cases. Izzy's bleeds through too much and I wish they let Jace keep his. I also can't get over Clary's hair, she looks like a carrot to me. I also agree with the Valentine casting choice, much more meat there.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread