• 2 Post By momrek06
  • 2 Post By Punkin
  • 1 Post By momrek06
  • 1 Post By inthegarden

Thread: War and Peace on LIFETIME, A&E and HISTORY

War and Peace on LIFETIME, A&E and HISTORY

JANUARY 18th on Lifetime @9pm

War and Peace Full Episodes, Video & More | Lifetime

Lifetime, A&E Network and HISTORY will air the limited series event based on Leo Tolstoy’s enduring novel War and Peace.

Set against the backdrop of Napoleon’s 1812 invasion of Russia, "War and Peace" is a story of passion, romance, scandal and deceit surrounding the rising and falling fortunes of five aristocratic families – the Bezukhovs, Bolkonskys, Drubetskoys, Kuragins and Rostovs – in the waning days of imperial Russia.

Simulcasting in the US on the three networks on January 18, 2016, "War and Peace" features an all-star cast including SAG Award® and Film Independent Spirit Award winner Paul Dano ("12 Years a Slave," "Little Miss Sunshine"), Lily James ("Cinderella," "Downton Abbey"), James Norton ("Happy Valley"), Golden Globe® winner Gillian Anderson ("The X Files," "Hannibal"), Oscar®, Golden Globe and BAFTA winner Jim Broadbent ("Moulin Rouge!," "Iris") and others.
    Punkin and Imperfect1 like this.
    KAREN

Re: War and Peace on LIFETIME, A&e and HISTORY

All set on the DVR!!
    momrek06 and Imperfect1 like this.
    “It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” — Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Re: War and Peace on LIFETIME, A&E and HISTORY

I loved the book so much. I don't know if I can bear to watch this. I might wait to see what critics are saying. I might just be happier reading the book again!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Bumping to remind everyone TOMORROW night!!!!
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Bumping to remind everyone TOMORROW night!!!!
    Thank you! I had forgotten to set my DVR.
    momrek06 likes this.

Good adaptation and more detailed than the original movie with Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda.

Oh I really like it!

I will say I am not familiar with any of the actors except for Lily James.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06 View Post
    Oh I really like it!

I will say I am not familiar with any of the actors except for Lily James.
    I'm surprised to hear you say that. There are some pretty well known actors in this production, including at least one Oscar winner (Jim Broadbent, who's a prolific character actor) and an Oscar nominee (Stephen Rea), as well as Gillian Anderson, Paul Dano, who's been working like crazy over the last few years. Greta Scacchi isn't as "hot" as she was back in the 90's when she was in It Girl, but she's been working pretty steadily for the last 25+ years. Not to mention James Norton, who's gotten lots of buzz from Granchester.

I've considered watching just for Matthieu Kassovitz, who I've had a raging crush on since Amelie.

I'd be curious to read some reviews from people who know and love the book. With some adaptations, I don't care, but this is one of my favorite books. I don't think I could bear to see it ruined. One review I saw said it felt more British than Russian, which is sort of the kiss of death for me, especially since this is THE quintessentially Russian story. I think I'll be waiting until the jury is back on how faithful an adaptation this is.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm surprised to hear you say that. There are some pretty well known actors in this production, including at least one Oscar winner (Jim Broadbent, who's a prolific character actor) and an Oscar nominee (Stephen Rea), as well as Gillian Anderson, Paul Dano, who's been working like crazy over the last few years. Greta Scacchi isn't as "hot" as she was back in the 90's when she was in It Girl, but she's been working pretty steadily for the last 25+ years. Not to mention James Norton, who's gotten lots of buzz from Granchester.

I've considered watching just for Matthieu Kassovitz, who I've had a raging crush on since Amelie.

I'd be curious to read some reviews from people who know and love the book. With some adaptations, I don't care, but this is one of my favorite books. I don't think I could bear to see it ruined. One review I saw said it felt more British than Russian, which is sort of the kiss of death for me, especially since this is THE quintessentially Russian story. I think I'll be waiting until the jury is back on how faithful an adaptation this is.

Here is a great article on the cast.

War and Peace cast: who's who in the BBC period drama? Lily James, James Norton, Paul Dano and Jim Broadbent

AND I will say now reading this article Paul Dano, who I now realize was the brother of Olive that would not speak ... but its been 10 YEARS since I saw that movie.
    So I did not recognize OR realize that was him.
    And yes, I can say I do not recognize anyone else. Even with reading their BIO I posted.
    KAREN

Gillian Anderson - XFiles. Will be seeing her this evening on the short series. While I recognize many of those mentioned, I never read the book so can't comment.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread