+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Shannara Chronicles (MTV)

Re: The Shannara Chronicles (MTV)

Heads Up:

Spike will be airing the next six episodes two at a time for the next three weeks.

Episode 5 & 6 will air on November 8 2017.

Episode 7 & 8 will air on November 15 2017.

Episode 9 & 10 will air on November 22 2017.
    No goat killers on my island.

I like Wil's new look. His hair is shorter and he's picked up quite a bit of muscle. He looks more mature and way hotter. It seems kind of scattered this year with new characters and a new plot. So far, it's rather tedious to watch IMO.

Season 2 Episode 5 - Paranor - November 8, 2017

Paranor (Episode) | Shannara Wiki - Exploring the Magical World of Shannara | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Allanon and Mareth manage to trap Bandon inside Paranor. However, as insurance Bandon has poisoned Flick, and only he has the cure that can save Wil's uncle from death. Lyria wants to help King Ander Elessedil fight the Crimson. Garet Jax visits the family of one of his slain men from the Border Legion. Cogline returns to tell Eretria about her past.
    Cogline is a Druid who uses both science and magic, I like that. He is like a punk version of a Druid.

Eretria is one of Apocolypse's Children a bloodline of demon and human and can be used as a weapon for good or evil.

Mareth and Will take a trip to Shady Vale about 30 years in the past.

This story really likes to hammer the idea of predetermined destiny to the point it is really annoying.

Season 2 Episode 6 - Crimson - November 8, 2017

Crimson (Episode) | Shannara Wiki - Exploring the Magical World of Shannara | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Wil and Mareth search for the Warlock Lord's skull which Allanon has hidden in Shady Vale. Eretria explores her newfound power over darkness. Queen Tamlin sends Garet Jax after General Riga. Wil duels Bandon with unexpected results. Lyria and Ander Elessedil's wedding ceremony commences.
    I do think it is better watching this series several episodes at a time, more of the story is revealed and as a viewer it is easier to gloss over the weak parts.

I do not see Wil as a chick magnet but it seems he had hooked Amberle, Eretria, and now Mareth. As actors Wil and Mareth have chemistry and when you look at them it is believable that they may have feelings for each other.

Eretria kills the wraith, cool.

Ander dies, was totally not expecting that.

Season 2 Episode 7 - Warlock - November 15, 2017

Warlock (Episode) | Shannara Wiki - Exploring the Magical World of Shannara | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Eretria and Lyria escape the Kingdom of Leah and seek out Cogline. As darkness falls across the land, Eretria sees Amberle in a vision once more. Wil and Mareth try to find a way to heal an unconscious Allanon. In Graymark, Bandon attempts to resurrect the Warlock Lord.
    This is the strongest episode so far marked by outstanding scenes between Allanon and Mareth in the Dream World and later in the real world.

Queen Tamlin is totally royal accepting defeat and the consequences of her actions and is Queen to the very end. Riga sucks.

This season seems to be full of powerful women with it being revealed that Eretria is from a powerful bloodline of demons and humans, Lyria is from a magical bloodline that protects the Heavenly Well from which the magic of the Four Lands pours, and Mareth not only is the next Druid, she is also the heir to the throne of Arbalon.

The reveal of the Warlock Lord was wicked.

Season 1 is airing on Netflix.

Season 2 Episode 8 - Amberle - November 16, 2017

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...-2-ep-8-recap/

I figured out during this episode one of the things they did to make the show speed up and feel like things where constantly happening: they took out the travel. They have to go to the Ellcrys, boom, theyíre at the Ellcrys. No seven daysí ride with camping scenes and pitfalls along the road. This is something the folks who are doing Lord of the Rings over at Amazon Prime might want to think about.

This episode was a lot about accepting who you really are and what other people really are. Wil goes into the Ellcrys, sees Amberle, and must come to peace with both his father and her. Allanon has to accept that his time may be drawing to an end and that Mareth is his daughter. Mareth must accept her destiny. Eretria has not choice but to accept her dark side. Bandon must accept that Catania never loved him and that the Warlock Lord believes in tough love. Tamlin must accept her fate and General Riga must accept that he wasnít really the big bad of this story.

Riga tosses Anders body into the falls and demands that Tamlin bow before him. She does at first, but eventually she chooses to leap to her death rather than succumb. Riga finds out where Allanon and the Codex are and that Allanon has a daughter. He uses that to capture them both. But when he learns that Graymark has gone quiet, he leaves ordering the Druids to be burned alive.

Meanwhile, Bandon asks the Warlock Lord to resurrect Catania, who then rejects him, and the Warlock Lord has fun with her. He then shows Bandon the truth: that she never loved him, and that love is a weakness. Bandon slays her again and can now stand beside his master. Riga and his men show up to Graymark. The Warlock Lord uses magic to kill off all the Crimson but Riga, who is immune. So the Warlock Lord traps him in the keeps gate and then chops off the Generalís head. I had hoped Jax wouldíve had the chance to kill him, but this works, too.

Outside the Ellcrys, Eretria is trying to help the Chosen get away from the Crimson and does pretty well for a while, but eventually they surround them. Then a Mord Wraith shows up, destroying the remaining Crimson and plunging inside of her. One of the Chosen sees this.

Inside the Ellcrys, Wil is fighting the idea that he can stop the Warlock Lord. When he used the Sword of Shannara, it showed him that he failed and he accept that as the truth. But he wasnít ready for the truth, and thatís why the sword broke. The power of the sword is that it shows whoever touches it the truth about themselves. Thatís how it defeated the Warlock Lord in the first place, revealing to him that he was actually already dead. (Itís in the novels.) Wil talks with the young version of his father again and makes peaceÖ and then he has to accept that Amberle is truly gone and will never come back. That it was her destiny, and she chose to go through with it. Once he accepts it, the sword is whole once again.

And we end with Allanon and Mareth about to be burned while Wil and the infected Eretria reunite, and we see the Chosen that saw the Mord Wraith is now dead.

Next week we get the last two episodes of the season back to back. Whatís interesting in the trailer below is that we see the back of Allanonís neck, and itís clean. No runes. The runes on his skin are the source of his power, and theyíve established that as those runes disappear, so do his powers. Will they continue on the path they appear to be on, killing off Allanon and ignoring the book continuity ó or will there be a quick bait and switch at the end? I for one canít wait to see how this all wraps up.
    Best scenes:

Watching the Warlork Lord decapitate General Riga.

Watching Wil finally grow up instead of being a wallowing, whining, youth.

Season 2 Episode 9 - Widerun - November 22 2017

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...ecap-wilderun/

The Penultimate episode is an important one and it shows just how off from the books theyíve gone. This whole season has been a departure from the novels by Terry Brooks, but since itís coming off the second book in the original trilogy, you kind of assumed certain people were safe based on where the third book goes even if it is fifty years in the future. Yeah, turns out thatís not the case. The episode starts with Lyria and Eretria going with Cogline for safety. The Warlock Lord trying to take over Eretria. He asks Bandon what he truly desires and we learn that Bandon wants power so no one can ever hurt him again. The Warlock Lord shows him the Codex of Paranor that tells how power canít be shared and he understands. Then attacks the Warlock Lord only to discover he is not powerful enough and Bandon is killed. Jax, Slanter, Mareth and Allanon arrive at Graymark too late to discover the bodies of Riga and Bandon. Allanon sends Jax and Slanter to go guard the well while he and Mareth head to protect Lyria. Upon arriving at Leah, Jax presents the head of Riga to the Captain of the Crimson and convinces them to join in protecting Heavenís Well.

It all boils down to a battle at where Cogline and his people live. He has a place to protect Lyria from the wraiths but the problem was they put Wil and the possessed Eretria into the area, allowing her to attack them and take out Wil, getting what the Warlock Lord needed. Meanwhile we get the confrontation between Allanon and the Warlock LordÖ but since itís in the second to last episode and weíve already lost Bandon and General Riga, there are no more villains. The odds are not good for Allanon. Even when heís joined by Cogline, who is an interesting amalgamation of science and druidic magic. Mareth also joins in, but none of them are enough to defeat the Warlock Lord with the Sword of Shannara. The Episode ends with the Warlock Lord getting the upper hand and things looking very bleak for our heroes
    Luv'ed the opening scene with Allanon and Mareth about to be burned on the stake and bonding as father and daughter and as druids.

Shocker Brandon dies ... for a sec there I thought Bandon was going to become the new Warlock Lord.

Oh No! Allanon, say it isn't so, he can't be dead. Manu Bennet adds a lot of gravitas to this show and as the best actor and presence he will be sorely missed. It was fun to watch Manu play both Allanon and the Warlock Lord. I liked the interaction Allanon had with the little boy and for a moment I was thinking "son"???

With Queen Tamlin dead and King Ander dead, Lyria is now the Queen of Leah and Mareth the Queen of Abarlon. With Eretria as a hybrid demon/human powered by a wraith there is a lot of girl power here, in fact Powerpuff Girls.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 11-25-2017 at 08:43 AM.

Season 2 Episode 10 - Blood - November 22, 2017

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...0-recap-blood/

And here it is, the season finale for The Shannara Chronicles season 2. Bandon, Allanon’s former apprentice who resurrected the Warlock Lord is dead. General Riga, the leader of the Crimson who wanted to destroy magic is dead. King Ander of Arborlon is dead. Queen Tamlin of Leah is dead. Eretria is under the control of the Warlock Lord and has captured Lyrie, the key to Heaven’s Well. The Warlock Lord is kicking Allanon, Cogline and Mareth ass and the Shannara, Wil Ohmsford, arrives just in time to see Allanon die. Yes, die. Which means we are completely off the rails of the novels by Terry Brooks and anything might happen next.

The episode is fast paced and holds nothing back. The Warlock Lord send Eretria to make sure the flood gates on the damn stay open awhile he takes Lyria to infect Heaven’s Well, the source of magic in the Four Lands. Wil, Mareth and Cogline head after them with Cogline heading to help Garret Jax and Slanter at the damn. The Warlock Lord gets into the well and drips his blood into the water, and it begins to spread into the Silver River. Eretria tricks her way into the control room for the damn and sabotages it. By the time Cogline gets there, he and Jax are able to force the Mord Wraith out of her, but can’t do anything about the water.

It comes down to Wil and Mareth… the Shannara and the Druid. The battle isn’t going there way at all, the Warlock Lord is way to powerful. At one point, knocking away the Sword of Shannara and running Wil through with the Warlock Blade. Mareth uses her ablities to fling the Sword of Shannara back to will who then plunges it into the Warlock Lords heart and kills him. Wil then removes the blade from his midsection and plans to heal himself when he notices the water in the well is still infected. It isn’t until a drop of his own blood falls into the water that it begins to clear. He realizes he can’t heal himself, he must bleed into the well. He gives Mareth the stones then plunges into the water. His blood cleansing the river and saving the day.

In the aftermath. Lyria is crowned Queen of Leah. Jax is made her general. Mareth, who should be on the throne in Arborlon, is going to go with Cogline and Eretria to study being a druid. But she senses something, checks the Elfstones and they’re glowing… and she’s certain Wil is alive. We then cut to Wil waking up in a group of skeletons with demons flying overhead… so, he is still alive for now.

This was a great season of television. The show cut out a lot of the things that drag down fantasy epics… like long journeys and annoying side trips. Instead it told a fast paced, straight forward story with a lot of great characters and important things happening each week. There was no filler. 10-Episodes was perfect. Plus it didn’t follow the normal tropes of the bad guys and good guys having their face off moments. The two villains through most of the season, Riga and Bandon, were actually killed by the final big bad. And after killing Allanon, killing Wil didn’t seem that far-fetched, but then showing him at the end builds excitement for season three… and there better be a season three now. For me, this is one of the best series on television.
    Cable TV series that have relatively short 10 episode seasons need to have a lot of impact. Either have brilliantly written episode or change up the scheduling and air two episodes at a time. Also considering the later have of the season would be competing with the start of the major retail shopping season also known as the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays it was very smart of the Spike scheduling department to air this season this way. I also find when there is a show I have issues with character and plot wise it is so much more tolerable when you see multiple episodes at one time. I did find once Wil stopped wallowing in his angst in episode 8 after he had talked to Amberle I liked his character better. This actor does not do angst well.

I liked how the episode ended and with all the main characters dead and looking as if Cogline would be teaching/training Mareth and Eretria to be Druids I was surprised and then not surprised to see that Wil was alive. Since he was in the Forbidding maybe he can find Allanon.
    GolfGrrl likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345