+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Arielflies
  • 1 Post By Fo'Realz?

Thread: Childhood's End - SYFY

Childhood's End - SYFY

Childhood's End PREMIER 12/14/15

The teaser reads...Utopia, but at what cost.

Written by Arthur C. Clarke and hailed as a revolutionary work of science fiction since its publishing in 1953, Childhood’s End follows the peaceful alien invasion of Earth by the mysterious “Overlords,” whose arrival begins decades of apparent utopia, at the cost of human identity and culture. The true implications of the Overlords’ arrival may be far more dangerous, however.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: Childhood's End - SYFY (Mondays 8/7)

I guess I should comment since I watched all six hours of this mini-season.

Hmmm. Intellectual woo woo. Not so much science fiction as a Morality Play on the BIG STAGE. There were some surprises that bring about what could be some conversational conjecturing so I won't spoil just in case anyone else watches it on SyFy web or wherever it turns up.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Flummoxed Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, Wonderputt Champion Fo'Realz?'s Avatar

Re: Childhood's End - SYFY

Watched it all, and enjoyed - but yet, I can't say that I ended by feeling satisfied - if that makes any sense?
    Not sure what more I wanted from it ... but ... something ...
    “I wasn't raised to celebrate the misfortune of others.” ―Nikki Gil

Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

For instance, what was the purpose of the space station circling earth when the whole planet was to blow apart and would take out anything in close proximity. I don't know that I liked the "immaculate" conception absorbing all the children to create the energy to be the destroyer. Versions of Heaven and Hell flipped on its head.

The "Devil" working for the all-being on creating the destroyer, yet having sympathy for those who would perish. The leaving of a piece of music playing as the only remnant of earthly culture wasn't weird, but it was, as you posted, not enough to justify that which cannot be justified.
    Fo'Realz? likes this.

Flummoxed Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, Wonderputt Champion Fo'Realz?'s Avatar

Right - we were talking about it immediately after the ending (which felt quite abrupt, to me, by the way), and I remember using the comparison of an unfinished painting - where some parts of the canvas/story have been worked in intricate detail, apparently refined to satisfaction - but some areas show only basic sketch work, and still other areas where the picture seems muddied from being over-worked.

Yeah, my mind works kinda crazy, I know - but, following through with that - I suppose that the reason why I had the mixed feelings (instead of straight up disappointment) was because I felt like the "finished" bits really did appeal to me enough that I was left wishing that the "whole" canvas was more cohesively finished.
    Arielflies likes this.
    “I wasn't raised to celebrate the misfortune of others.” ―Nikki Gil

Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

I was reading before this aired that there have been problems in the past trying to put these particular books onto film. Perhaps reading them would pull it all together.

What I did like was that there was no saving earth. It's fate was decided the moment it was born. There is still a God, but it is not the loving benevolent Father humans need to feel hope. Rather it was the Devils (straight from the religious etchings) who had to deal with loss of hope by providing a hospice type comfort. The levels were interesting...no more war, no poverty, no disease...but, then, no more children to be born as the end was near.

One part I thought overdone was the "false" prophet they picked to communicate with humans. They spent way too much time on his learning about love before he died from radiation poisoning. I really liked the story of the last Astro Physicist and how he pushed and pushed for science as truth until the very end.

Putting together the animal ark was interesting. Are they going to populate a new world with the animals? Well, Except for Noah's family and animals, the flood destroyed all humanity on earth earlier in man's existence.

Disjointed, but fascinating in parts for discussion.

Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it - and you might be surprised that the reality won't be worth the dream. Those were my take-aways from Childhoods End. I did enjoy it though.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I watched Childhood's End on demand this weekend and one thing I didn't understand is why the aliens came to help humans evolve just before they got destroyed. That made no sense to me. And why did the aliens deem Earth's animals worth saving but not man? Shouldn't they have brought back some human specimans to go with their menagerie?
    Current Pools: Big Brother 18
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2016: Consummate Overachiever Who’s Most Likely Reminiscing About The Florida Keys

https://www.facebook.com/pikachuFL

It was more metaphysical than logical. The Devils gave man what he said he wanted, and God took it all away.

I liken the saved animals to Noah's Ark. They will be set to roam another planet. In other words, they are the innocents not to be doomed my man's or the planet's fate.

FORT Fogey

Interesting mini series. Still mulling it over. Really liked the tenacity of the last scientist. Surprised at how many folks just accepted everything.

+ Reply to Thread