+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Supergirl

Re: Supergirl

This episode bugged me action wise because Supergirl used sprinklers and froze water to supposedly stop 12 bombs. Now those bombs would've had to be tiny in order for that to work and even then there was a high chance shrapnel would still fly afterward.

I agree too as far as the bullets flying everywhere but no one being hurt.

The quicksand bit was nonsense because it didn't look like it was deep enough to have smothered Supergirl (think the Giraffe in quicksand "seven stages of grief" parody in "Robot Chicken to see my point).

I cannot see a plastic toy gun fire a real bullet. They did not explain if the weapon fired plastic bullets or real ones, which would've been detected as well.

"Invisible" cameras? I would think that J'onn J'onzz would be able to detect the heat of them or sound - he IS an alien after all, and the little camera on the bag... it's so blatantly big on the strap and items that you'd think that big sis would see it on the camera bag.

Seemed like the only thing that was played realistically was when Winn was waking up from being chloroformed by his dad (The Toymaker), and even then his head cleared up a bit faster than I'd presume someone being drugged with a dose that could potentially kill you should've been as far as cleared head.

Just sloppy writing on what could've been a good episode on the human struggle to not become like parents if they're bad.

Really I think the only things I liked were the Supergirl version of the toy monkey and the doubts that Winn and Kara have on their feelings for each other.

There wasn't a whole lot of good in this episode - even some of the weakest episodes of "The Greatest American Hero" at least had logical moments or genuine fear moments even if the bad guy was ridiculous. Case in point, "The Shock Will Kill You" the alien was ridiculous - it looked like a Rutan in "Doctor Who" with a mouth that could for some bizarre reason turn 270 degrees to bite Ralph. Still the FEAR of being electrocuted by that monster and the fear of shuttles bringing back some sort of weird space plague allowed the scares in that episode to work.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thoughts on the Winn kiss? I thought all that was quite "real"...and sad... I'm not sure how they come back from it. Personally I find Win (Winn?) more appealing than the guy she's so stuck on...who HAS a girlfriend already...although they do seem to have a few issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Thoughts on the Winn kiss? I thought all that was quite "real"...and sad... I'm not sure how they come back from it. Personally I find Win (Winn?) more appealing than the guy she's so stuck on...who HAS a girlfriend already...although they do seem to have a few issues.
    Honestly I felt that scene and the reactions afterward were more realistic than anything in this episode, and yes I'm taking out the bad guy plot in this argument.

Winn genuinely loves Kara, while she opines for Jimmy Olsen. I really think she's a young woman who is just trying to figure he way in a world she wasn't from and add to it hormones, it just feels real in this case.

(Honestly if I had to choose, I'd date Winn and be good friends with Jimmy Olsen. There's a charm with Winn I see and can relate too, while Olsen is kind, caring but more of a friend for me. Plus, he's dating and I wouldn't try to break up the relationship.)
    PWS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    Honestly I felt that scene and the reactions afterward were more realistic than anything in this episode, and yes I'm taking out the bad guy plot in this argument.

Winn genuinely loves Kara, while she opines for Jimmy Olsen. I really think she's a young woman who is just trying to figure he way in a world she wasn't from and add to it hormones, it just feels real in this case.

(Honestly if I had to choose, I'd date Winn and be good friends with Jimmy Olsen. There's a charm with Winn I see and can relate too, while Olsen is kind, caring but more of a friend for me. Plus, he's dating and I wouldn't try to break up the relationship.)
    The romantic relationship between Kara and Jimmy seems forced. He has to be 10 years older then she is, more mature, more worldly and in had been in a full relationship with Lucy Lane who again is at least 10 years older, has been to college, was an officer in the Army and has a JD masters. What is Kara, she is an entry level personal assistant who is just learning what she can do and what she can be. They are just at different levels of maturity and where they are in live and in their careers. At times it seems as if Jimmy treats her more like a little sister and that kinda screams incest to me. I know that may seem kinda stretching it but that is how their relationship comes across to me.
    PWS likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The romantic relationship between Kara and Jimmy seems forced. He has to be 10 years older then she is, more mature, more worldly and in had been in a full relationship with Lucy Lane who again is at least 10 years older, has been to college, was an officer in the Army and has a JD masters. What is Kara, she is an entry level personal assistant who is just learning what she can do and what she can be. They are just at different levels of maturity and where they are in live and in their careers. At times it seems as if Jimmy treats her more like a little sister and that kinda screams incest to me. I know that may seem kinda stretching it but that is how their relationship comes across to me.
    No it does - from the producers' writing. I think they really could've gotten rid of that triangle quite honestly. While I did like the reality of the scene between her and Winn, I think it would've been better if the scene was different and she kissed Olsen, he say he wasn't interested in her that way and then she and Winn could work on their relationship.

It's just producer forced is all - I can't blame the actors who are really working hard to make those scenes believable.
    PWS likes this.

Season 1 Episode 11
    Strange Visitor From Another Planet
    Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 25, 2016 on CBS

Supergirl - Season 1, Episode 11: Strange Visitor From Another Planet - TV.com

Hank is confronted by his painful past when a member of the alien race that wiped out his people kidnaps Senator Miranda Crane. Meanwhile, Cat's estranged son arrives in National City.
    I liked this episode as it seems it has veered back to what was originally supposed to be, more of a family show. I liked that we found out more about the background of J'onn J'onzz the last green martian. What he is 317 yrs old, I swear he doesn't look a day over 200. I still don't like the preachy morality stuff and really what is keeping the "white martian" from telling everyone that Hank is an alien? I do think that as a show they do the human part of Kara better then the Supergirl part of Kara, seeing Kara bring together Cat Grant and her estranged son Adam is a prime example. I liked how they left us with a bit of cliffhanger with the Danver's sisters watching Max Lord's version of Supergirl. The preview was priceless, someone is a Frankenstein fan or or should I say "Young Frankedstein" fan with the "she's alive" quote.
    PWS likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Poor Winn-- another rival, and in a lot of ways a much more appropriate one.

I'm a little confused as to how old Cat's son is supposed to be... did he drop out of undergrad or a Master's program? Confusing. I'm hoping the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Poor Winn-- another rival, and in a lot of ways a much more appropriate .
    Especially since he's being played by Blake Jenner, Melissa Benoist's husband IRL. Great chemistry with those two.
    PWS likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I liked this episode as it seems it has veered back to what was originally supposed to be, more of a family show. I liked that we found out more about the background of J'onn J'onzz the last green martian. What he is 317 yrs old, I swear he doesn't look a day over 200. I still don't like the preachy morality stuff and really what is keeping the "white martian" from telling everyone that Hank is an alien?
    Probably nothing - but a. the security group probably wouldn't believe her, and b. there IS the chance that the jail they use to secure the white Martian blocks out her voice/changes it if she mentions J'onn J'onzz or him in any other capacity than what we see.

I do think that as a show they do the human part of Kara better then the Supergirl part of Kara, seeing Kara bring together Cat Grant and her estranged son Adam is a prime example. I liked how they left us with a bit of cliffhanger with the Danver's sisters watching Max Lord's version of Supergirl. The preview was priceless, someone is a Frankenstein fan or or should I say "Young Frankedstein" fan with the "she's alive" quote.
    I do agree here though her super heroine side is also good (of course I also watched a "Mary Sue" version with Holly Hathaway in the 1986 "Greatest American HeroINE" attempt).

The banter between Kara and Cat over Kara's writing the letter to Adam was priceless, realistic and touching. I wasn't a fan of Calista Flockhart when she was in Ally McBeal, but she has shown that she is a lot more layered as an actress with this role.

And there definitely was a good moment when they saw "Kara" and the car at the end. It was a nice lead-in to the next episode. I also like the fact they have the Max Lord version looking exactly like Kara - no flaws or anything, at least for the moment as - if speculation is correct - that facade will eventually change.

Supergirl Season 1 Episode 12
    Bizarro
    Aired Monday 8:00 PM Feb 01, 2016 on CBS

Supergirl - Season 1, Episode 12: Bizarro - TV.com

A twisted version of Supergirl, one who's the mirror image of the Kryptonian hero, sets out to destroy her National City counterpart. Meanwhile, Kara grows closer to Cat's son Adam.
    I kinda liked this episode and wondered how they would have the Bizarro Supergirl look. What I don't like is Maxwell Lord. I don't understand his motivation for doing what he does and I don't find him interesting as a villain and I think they totally overuse his character as the bad guy. If you want to see how a bad guy is portrayed watch the old Smallville series and watch Lex Luthor, watch how he was written and how the actor brings him to life. I also find it amusing that Win and James are bonding and are members of the "Friends of Kara" club. Kara has not one, not two, not three but four guys pinning over her, the fourth being Hank but in a father/daughter way we should all be so lucky. This is a step up though from the previous episodes.

+ Reply to Thread