+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Supergirl

Re: Supergirl

I think what it may be suffering from is "Greatest American Hero" syndrome latter season 2 and pretty much 90% of season 3 (though in fairness you can tell that quality was more due to money disappearing as the show wasn't renewed for more episodes midway - they only did 13 of a normal 24 season).

The problem with the latter seasons was they made it more Ralph and Bill chase monsters and bad guys instead of balancing them between real life situations/themes with a bad guy plot thrown in, such as "Plague" where Ralph deals with hypochondria while they have to prevent a smallpox outbreak. Or better yet, "Here's Looking at You Kid," where the duo was fighting with each other on what the suit was used for, leading to Ralph learning invisibility which was needed on the case they ended up solving.

Instead of those thoughtful "slice of life with a super suit thrown in" stories we had them later on search for the Loch Ness monster ("Carrie" - "Devil in the Deep Blue Sea"), et cetera.

The worst and most glaring was the pilot "Greatest American HeroINE" which Supergirl right now has as far as the dumbing down to audiences younger than a target one. There you had Holly so superficial as far as the suit (even wanting pumps for what was honestly a HIDEOUS redesign of the suit - a unitard instead of the two piece version William Katt wore), who knew everything perfectly (taking out some of the humor) and using a kid as a sidekick more than working with her ASSIGNED one Bill Maxwell (who honestly after the farewell with Ralph and Pam was the only reason to watch the second part).

There's no excuse really for it except to draw in some of the younger folks - the watershed hour requirements have long since passed, i.e. being required to say something educational in the process of the story. Case in point, "Battlestar Galactica: 1980" where they actually had to stop and talk about why they were putting their seat belts on (or I think this happened - been a while since I've seen said show, and this was gleaned from another post).

Now, do I like this show? - yes, because it does prove they can have a female superhero do well in prime time television and it's done with a more light tone that makes people more hopeful than downbeat. They also didn't try to redo the costume so much that people hated it or felt they were cheapening the character. Case in point - the FIRST "Wonder Woman" costume that Adrienne Palicki wore in the pilot attempt.

Does it need some maturing? - yes it does, or it'll become too saccharine a la "Glee" and it could lead to its downfall in season two. (And I'm not using "Glee" because Melissa Benoist was on that show too - I liked it the first season, but it became too sentimental and saccharine season two onward I wasn't surprised it ended season 6 when it was fresh enough to last longer with changes).

I think if they took a tone a bit more like "Forever" did - lighthearted but truly darker moments for all the characters, and a bit less cartoony, I think it'll improve this show quite a bit.
    PWS likes this.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Season 1 Episode 7
    Human for a Day
    Airs Monday 8:00 PM Dec 07, 2015 on CBS

Supergirl - Season 1, Episode 7: Human for a Day - TV.com

The best scene in this episode was Hank Henshaw revealing himself to Alex as J'onn J'onzz the last Martian the transformation, costume design and character design were impressive.

Since Jeremiah Danvers is dead who is the only other person who knows besides Alex? Superman?

As for the rest of the episode; well I feel as if the target audience for this show are young girls anywhere from 5 to 12 years of age. I am starting to feel that they are dumbing down the scripts and writing for that target audience and I almost feel as if I am watching a PBS KIDS show or a Saturday morning live action show or the Disney channel but with a superhero and not a princess. The showrunners need to fix that or they will start losing the adults.
    Funny you should say that! My 10 year old daughter LOVES this show. And my 14 yo son thinks it's pretty good. I don't mind watching it as I like the message it's sending my daughter. I compare it to Agents of Shield in that is has action, bad guys etc but it's played down a bit so that I don't mind my daughter watching and love that she is a strong female lead. Do I forget it's on...yes, does she forget its on...no!
    PWS likes this.

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by mcmomof2 View Post
    Funny you should say that! My 10 year old daughter LOVES this show. And my 14 yo son thinks it's pretty good. I don't mind watching it as I like the message it's sending my daughter. I compare it to Agents of Shield in that is has action, bad guys etc but it's played down a bit so that I don't mind my daughter watching and love that she is a strong female lead. Do I forget it's on...yes, does she forget its on...no!
    If I had young kids, I'd be watching it with them for sure. I think it's great that there are shows that you can feel comfortable kids your age watch, and that actually interests them. I thought it was straddling youth/adult entertainment pretty well with the first couple of episodes, but now, not so much.
    Each evening, I think, "Boy, things can't get any dumber." The next morning I wake up and think, "Things were so much smarter last night." - Ben Shapiro

Season 1 Episode 8
    Hostile Takeover
    Aired Monday 8:00 PM Dec 14, 2015 on CBS

Supergirl - Season 1, Episode 8: Hostile Takeover - TV.com

Kara faces off with Astra after her aunt challenges Kara's beliefs about her mother; and Cat is threatened with being removed as the CEO of CatCo after a hacker exposes her private and damaging emails.
    The midwinter finale. Supergirl season 1 has 20 episodes and will be back January 4, 2016.

This episode was better than last week's still a bit heavy handed with the duo plotlines of Kara feeling abandoned by her mother and Cat having a son from a previous relationship that she left with the parent who had time for the child. We see Kara's childlike cry and anger at being sent into space all alone while all her family and planet are destroyed. Then we see the other side as Cat describes trying to do the what is right for her first child and that was leaving him.

Then there is the entire Astra vs Kara and "is your mother really the saint you believe her to be" story. Did Krypton really blow up because the so advanced Kryptonians couldn't do without their level of lifestyle? Thereby lending itself to Astra trying to save Earth from an ecological disaster because we are dong the same thing. OK I am all for saving the planet so I have to let that one go. But if Astra's fight with Kara was supposed to be a distraction why did the other Kryptonians wait so long before they attacked the Lord building? That is not a distraction that is a very long pause while you wait for your enemy to figure out your next move.

James Olsen giving Win romantic advice???

Cat figuring out Kara is Supergirl ... really Kara is as bad at hiding her secret identity as Barry Allen is on The CW's The Flash.
    No goat killers on my island.

Tired of family, shopping, returning stuff, kids complaining and whining well the next NEW episode of Supergirl is on tomorrow.
    PWS and AmyKay like this.

Season 1 Episode 9
    Blood Bonds
    Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 04, 2016 on CBS

Just a comment on network programming. This episode is the first one to air in 2016 then there is a two week break because of award shows and episode 10 airs on 18th. Will people even have watched this episode of simply wait for the 18th and then wonder what happened to Aunt Astra? Way to keep ratings and viewers loyal networks.

Supergirl - Season 1, Episode 9: Blood Bonds - TV.com

Supergirl finds herself in a tense standoff with Non as she tries to rescue Hank from his clutches; and Kara is confronted by Cat about being National City's very own caped crusader.
    Luv Alex's bob (her hairstyle).

An interesting episode that basically arcs the Aunt Astra, Alura and Kara story.

Kara convinces Cat that she is not Supergirl with Jo'nn Jo'zz's help. Oh, yeah she now knows Hanks secret identity.

What is Max Lord up to?
    PWS likes this.

That whole shape shifting scam at the end was my favorite part of the episode. Clever way to get out of that.
    Bearcata and PWS like this.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

It was nice to see the show back after a two-week absence. Loved the conflict Kara had between family and friends as well as the end result for both, which showed how strong a bond they all have.

The bit where she finds out about J'onn J'onzz was also quite funny as was the end scene where both Supergirl and Kara appear. Though I know it wouldn't happen anyway, I was glad that this was done to stop Cat's interrogations of Kara being Supergirl. Well that and the scenes with CatCo and Cat in general are far more fun.

The less with General Lane the better. Annoying character to the point the normally unflappable Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge Stewart (Doctor Who) would be telling the Cybermen and Daleks to chase the man.

As far as Max's plans? - I think he's going to create a Bizarro version of Supergirl. That victim looks too much like Kara and there has been speculation of them brining said character into the show.

The only complaint I have is they're again skipping two weeks between now and the next episode. This show actually has a strong following and if they continue stuff like this it will kill the show like similar tactics with ABC killed off "The Greatest American Hero" back in the 1980s during season 3.

Supergirl Season 1 Episode 10
    Childish Things
    Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jan 18, 2016 on CBS

Supergirl - Season 1, Episode 10: Childish Things - TV.com

Kara does her best to support Winn and keep him safe when his father, the evil Toyman, breaks out of prison; Cat offers Lucy a job at CatCo; and Alex asks Hank to use his powers to help uncover Maxwell Lord's plans.
    Watching the Toyman episode.

I am having a difficult time finishing this episode, I do think it is a great show for kids and provides strong female role models and in this episode they are hitting the audience in the head with that concept incessantly to the point I am about to yell STOP.

What really pissed me off is the first confrontation between the Toyman and the FBI SWAT team that started shooting after one warning a clearly unarmed man and with a civilian (Winn) in front of them. With all the controversy of police shooting civilians with 100's of round of bullets for little reason they air this scene. Are the writers and producers stupid, dumb, inane? In terms of female equality I did think the female Special Agent in Charge was a dick ... yeah for girl power pick up on all the bad habits of arrogant A - hole male bosses.

This episode which I still have 16 minutes to watch is making me want to drop the entire show although I like the J'onn J'onzz character, but not the Alex harassing of him all to protect her sister, just dumb and the next two episodes do look interesting especially with the potential of seeing a
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Bizarro Supergirl

I hate dropping a show I have watched this long as I normally like to give a show at least one season to prove itself, yes, I have dropped shows after the pilots, Second Chance comes to mind, and several episodes, like Syfy's Defiance, but this is a show I was willing to give the one season chance and I this point I am on the edge.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 01-19-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Watched the last 16 minutes.

Again what is with idiot FBI female agent and her swat team firing on Win with all those people around, I am thinking stray bullets, ricochets hundred would have been wounded or hurt this is not an episode of GI Joe where no one gets hit or hurt, that entire scene was so stupid and inept it boggles the mind that they thought it was OK to write, film and air. What a bunch of idiots.

Then Max Lord bugs Alex's purse there go all the girls secrets.

+ Reply to Thread