Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By PWS
  • 1 Post By Uncle David
  • 1 Post By PWS

Thread: The Last Kingdom--BBC America

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The Last Kingdom--BBC America

The Bernard Cornwell books are about to be a TV series called Last Kingdom, BBC America, starting Sat., Oct. 10th. Just saw a newspaper review raving about it. If you haven't read them, well worth it---set in days before there was an England, when the Danes were fighting it out with future king of England---9th century. The hero is a Saxon, kidnapped as a boy and raised in Denmark--so mixed loyalties.
    bee stung lips likes this.

FORT Fogey

Re: The Last Kingdom--BBC America

Thanks for the reminder!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Forgot this was on last night but am tickled pink at the prospect of having yet another period drama to add to my weekly TV lineup. I'm watching it as I type this. Will report back afterward.

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I didn't know about it either, but I'm certainly going to take a look.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I am traveling and the local paper carried the news in their entertainment section, or I wouldn't have known either. Of course I don't have access to a TV right now so so far it hasn't done me much good to know it! I look forward to your reports.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I'm really enjoying this show this far. It has a "Vikings" show sort of feel to it and is holding my interest from week to week.

Sent from my SGH-I527M using Tapatalk
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I just finished binge watching the first three seasons of Vikings, and I really enjoyed it. I stumbled across The Last Kingdom this weekend, and watched the first three episodes. Not quite as good as Vikings for me, but it shows great promise. Definitely on my viewing list now.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

If you like the TV show, Uncle David, you will probably really enjoy the books--there are several, best read in order. Available on Kindle.
    Uncle David likes this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    If you like the TV show, Uncle David, you will probably really enjoy the books--there are several, best read in order. Available on Kindle.
    You don't find having read the books makes it frustrating watching the TV show?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, at times, but if the TV show veers too far from the book (e.g., Under the Dome) I try to look at it as another writer's take on the same premise. My problem usually comes when they start similarly and then the TV show runs out of book material or doesn't like that a character got killed off and makes a right hand turn. But I've watched several Pride and Prejudice versions for example and enjoyed them all even though I'd read the book. I'm sure the book gives much more of the hero's thinking than the TV show can....and detail about warfare.
    I haven't watched this show yet, so can't comment on it.

+ Reply to Thread