+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Leftovers (HBO)

The Leftovers (HBO)

Anyone else watch this? Season 2 started Sun 10/4. The show creator is Damon Lindelof, of Lost fame. I swore I'd never watch a show by him again after the way Lost ended, but here I am, on Season 2 of this show .

HBO | The Leftovers | About the Show

More than three years ago, 2% of the world’s population inexplicably vanished. 140 million people, gone in an instant. No country, no state, no city was spared, except for one small town in eastern Texas. Population: 9261. Departures: Zero. This is the setting for a tale of two families: the Garveys, who have moved to this special place, and whose lives were forever changed by the Departure, and the Murphys, a local family, who seem to have been spared from an event that shook the rest of the world.
    The first season focused on what happened and was set in a different town. This season they moved the plot to a new town, and added new characters. You really need to see the first season to know what's going on.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Re: The Leftovers (HBO)

I like that the episodes are an hour long. This episode was pretty out there, especially the ending.
    Blow a kiss, fire a gun, we need someone to lean on

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

This has to be one of the strangest shows I've ever watched... and pretty much each episode I'm thinking "yeah, uhmm, that's enough for me, I'm out"... but I still... STILL... I keep coming back. I don't know what it is that keeps drawing me back to each new episode.
    PipSqueek likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FORT Fogey

I'm fascinated with how different the reactions are to remaining in the world. Some think they are cursed, others think they are blessed. The few different cults we've seen have been mind-boggling. The simmering arrogance in this new town is something that will probably backfire on the townsfolk.

This show simply intrigues me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    This has to be one of the strangest shows I've ever watched... and pretty much each episode I'm thinking "yeah, uhmm, that's enough for me, I'm out"... but I still... STILL... I keep coming back. I don't know what it is that keeps drawing me back to each new episode.
    Same here. The whole episode was full of WTF moments: naked girls running through the woods (why?), goat sacrifices in the middle of a diner (which didn't seem to faze anyone), firemen burning down houses, birds in buried boxes...then there's that whole weird opening sequence with the cavewoman.

So. Weird.

And who left that damn pie?
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I watched Season One and it seemed like after every episode, I was more and more frustrated and ready to bail on it. Ive seen the Season 2 previews, and it reminded me about the series. I wasnt sure if I had seen all of Season one or not, so I watched the finale last nite to remind me where I left off, and I remembered seeing it through before. Im going to give Season 2 a try tonight. Its strangely compelling, but, hugely frustrating as to the "whys".
    Hurting you is the last thing I want to do... but it's still on the list

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Same here. The whole episode was full of WTF moments: naked girls running through the woods (why?), goat sacrifices in the middle of a diner (which didn't seem to faze anyone), firemen burning down houses, birds in buried boxes...then there's that whole weird opening sequence with the cavewoman.

So. Weird.

Sounds like an episode of Twin Peaks! Ill have to watch tonight. I like weird. It just has too many frustrating nonsensical parts, that bother me.
    waywyrd likes this.
    Hurting you is the last thing I want to do... but it's still on the list

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post

So. Weird.

Read this:
    TVLINE | Was that your way of establishing that Miracle is a magical place right out of the gate?
    To talk about what our intention was with that sequence robs it of what we were trying to do. I don’t want to take away from the audience what meaning they derive from it. And that’s not me being cutesy. It’s more a matter of saying, “This show is all about affixing meaning to stuff.” From the perspective of the woman in the sequence, she sees an eagle fly over and she follows it. And that has meaning to her. And that earthquake has meaning to her. But to us, in a post-scientific realm, we’re basically like, “That was a bird and that was an earthquake. They have no meaning.” So is the earthquake a metaphor for the [Sudden] Departure at large? Is the cave a metaphor for what happens when you lose your family? That is not a question that I want to be answering [publicly]. I want the audience to be having that debate. I also understand that I’m inviting a fair amount of, “Oh, f—ing Lindelof. Again.”
    https://tvline.com/2015/10/04/the-leftovers-premiere-recap-damon-lindelof-spoilers/

Very illuminating.
    waywyrd likes this.
    Blow a kiss, fire a gun, we need someone to lean on

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    Quite right. We should expect this with Lindeloff! I love that he can laugh at himself 😀

Great start to S2. So many questions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast