+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Leftovers (HBO)

Re: The Leftovers (HBO)

The Matt/Mary storyline has always made me feel uncomfortable. I can't really explain it. And now that she's pregnant, it's even creepier. I was on the fence as to whether she really did wake up for a short time or if he just imagined it, even the part where she "talks" to him about needing to get back in for the baby's sake. But then the guy sitting next to Matt while they were trying to get back into Miracle also mentioned they had to get back in or they'd lose the baby. Or maybe he imagined that too?

Honestly I fast forwarded through most of the episode because of that whole story so I'm not sure why at the end he decided to take the guy's place in the stockade. Does he think he sinned because he got his comatose wife pregnant, or is he trying to repent for something else?

I wish I could like the firefighter and understand why he's like he is, but I just don't care for him at all. Not even a little.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I feel for the pastor, in a way his wife departed too.
    Blow a kiss, fire a gun, we need someone to lean on

FORT Fogey

Finally all caught up, and this is just compelling television! Why is John so adamant that nothing miraculous should happen ever? I'm almost afraid to learn the answer. What is Kevin going to do when/if they match his fingerprints to the handprint on the car door? Nice to see what's going on with Laurie and Tom. While those Guilty Remnant folks are crazy with a horrible mean streak, it makes me even more uncomfortable that Tom is the new Holy Wayne. I can't imagine that ending well for him. And yeah, Laurie is angry.

Each of the new episodes are so very very dark and heart wrenching. This last one about the preacher and his catatonic wife was so sad and ponderous that I wanted to look away at times. I don't know where this is going, but I wish it would get there and we can get a little better idea of what is going on. I may be wrong, but I think the girls were taken because there can only be a certain balance of people actually living in Miracle. When the new family moved in, it off-set the balance, so the girls had to disappear. I might be all wrong with that conclusion because you can never tell with this show. I'm still watching.

It's strange how a show so cryptic can be so fascinating. I don't know what the heck I'm watching, but I can't not watch.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth." — George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner View Post
    He didn't rape the wife, right ?

Most of the time I don't know what the hell was happening in this show. But I somehow can't stop watching.
    I sure hope not. But I don't know if he's imagining all this or telling the truth. This is one of the strangest shows I've ever seen...

No idea why he would leave his wife with his sister and take off to be put in those stockades. Does he feel the need to punish himself? But for what...raping his wife? Whacking that weirdo with the oar (I almost didn't recognize Brett Butler!)? And what's with all the goats in this town?

I'm with most of you, this show is irritating but I can't stop watching.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Well I'm glad they explained the birds in the box and the goat thing, but why the hell did Nora throw a rock through the neighbor's window?
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Its funny how it's easy to forget but, John treated her brother like crap and didnt want to help him get a new wristband once he found out that the wife is pregnant and assumed that he raped her. I dont like John. I don't like that he feels entitled to go around being an ass because his daughter is missing. And quite frankly, I think she ran away.

Eta: And thats why she threw the rock. Lol
    Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    waywyrd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    Its funny how it's easy to forget but, John treated her brother like crap......And thats why she threw the rock.
    When they were going to the fundraiser and Kevin brought up the same subject, didn't Nora say something like her brother brought it upon himself ?

I think Nora was just upset with her neighbor's disappearance because it brought back her own experience when her family departed.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner View Post
    When they were going to the fundraiser and Kevin brought up the same subject, didn't Nora say something like her brother brought it upon himself ?

I think Nora was just upset with her neighbor's disappearance because it brought back her own experience when her family departed.
    That is one of the themes in “Lens,” the first episode since episode 2, “A Matter of Geography,” co-scripted by author Tom Perrotta, who’s clearly invested in Nora’s story in season 2. She’s impulsive, as we know from her spontaneous purchase of the house in Miracle, and she holds a grudge, too. Early one morning, before the neighborhood is awake, she calmly walks next door and chucks a rock through the Murphys’ window. Oh, did we forget that John Murphy banished her brother, Matt, to carny-degenerate tent-city?
    The Leftovers recap: Lens | EW.com

Nora may have said that but after she had a blowout with Matt in Tent City.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast