+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Critical
  • 1 Post By Critical

Thread: Flesh and Bone, Starz 11/8/15

Flesh and Bone, Starz 11/8/15

"Black Swan's" Sarah Hay leads a cast of world-renowned dancers in the drama from "Breaking Bad's" Moira Walley-Beckett.

Starz is adding a female-skewing drama to its roster.

The premium cable network has cast Black Swan's Sarah Hay to star in Flesh and Bone and picked up the ballet drama from Breaking Bad alum Moira Walley-Beckett to series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The drama centers on Claire (Hay), who has a distinctly troubled past, as she joins a prestigious ballet company in New York. The dark and gritty series will unflinchingly explore the dysfunction and glamour of the ballet world. Hay's Claire is further described as a beautiful, soulful and deeply emotionally wounded young woman who possesses an innate innocence and fragility while at the same time harboring self-destructive tendencies and a vaulting ambition. She is a transcendent ballerina, capable of reaching the sublime, but her inner torment and aspirations drive her in compelling, unforeseeable ways.
    more: Ballet Drama 'Flesh and Bone' Ordered to Series at Starz - Hollywood Reporter

This one seems made for you, Critical! I love to watch ballet, so I'm looking forward to it! This was cast not with an actress who can dance a little, but with a dancer who can act!
    “It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” — Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Re: Flesh and Bone, Starz 11/8/15

Ha! Guilty! Totally going to be watching this one, even though the advance notice is not great. Starz already switched it from a regular series to a limited run thing and I'm pretty sure they indicated that it would not be renewed. Apparently, it's been very expensive and (from what I've read) is kind of a train wreck. Still, it's ballet, so I'll be watching, at least for the dancing! There are several dancers in the cast that I'm looking forward to seeing. Plus, the fabulous Tovah Feldshuh!
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Tomorrow, Critical!!
    “It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.” — Joseph Heller, Catch-22

I just watched this (DVR last night). I enjoyed it, but "dark" doesn't begin to describe it (and that's just after one episode). The final scene is ______________ (fill in the blank depending on each individual's reaction). The casting is wonderful and the actress/dancer is perfect for the role. If this even remotely resembles a true ballet company with the amount of competitive nastiness portrayed, I am glad my lovely little granddaughter decided to pursue gymnastics instead of ballet when she had to make a choice.

I've watched a few episodes and, yeah, it's kind of awful. Full of ridiculous stereotypes. I grew up in the dance world, I have many friends and acquaintances who became professional ballet dancers. IMHO, this show bears very little resemblance to the real ballet world. It just doesn't. There's not really one sympathetic or non-predatory person on the show. Even ones that seemed like they might be nice have turned out to be not so nice. UGH. I'm watching for the dancing, but there's sadly very little of it. I'm sure there are occurrences of drug use, thinly-veiled prostitution (what else can you call it when a dancer is served up like that to a donor?) and back-stabbing IRL, but it's not the norm. I'm disappointed that the showrunners wasted a great opportunity to show viewers what the ballet world is really like. You're better off watching old episodes of Breaking Pointe.

Lovely that they continue the myth that ballet dancers don't eat. These are ELITE athletes. No, they don't gorge themselves, but if they didn't eat, they wouldn't be able to dance at the level that's required of them. Years ago, I knew a girl who was in NYBT (I think she was a demi-soloist) and she was a recovering anorexic - it was more common back then, I think - and she had to take time off because she wasn't performing at the level expected of her. Smoked like a chimney too. That was shocking, as I was a teen when I knew her.

I did wince at the toenail stuff. I've lost toenails, although it wasn't nearly as gruesome (I thought) as depicted on the show. I did have little "sense memory" moments there though. My big toes started tingling during those scenes. It took me years to feel comfortable wearing sandals in public because my toes were so gnarly looking. They're (mostly) better now.

I haven't given up on the show, but d@mn, they're making it hard to like. No wonder the advance buzz was so terrible and they changed it from a series to a "limited series" and released the whole thing OnDemand at once. I'm hoping the next episodes have more dancing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Thanks for that, Critical. For someone who knows nothing about professional ballet, it is disturbing. Glad to know it is not the norm!

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Thanks for that, Critical. For someone who knows nothing about professional ballet, it is disturbing. Glad to know it is not the norm!
    Oh, it's definitely not.....unless things have changed dramatically since I was a dancer.

I'm happy to see Sascha Radetsky and Alex Wong (in the background, at least), but they may not be enough to keep me watching. I need more ballet in a show about ballet!
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread