+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: American Horror Story - FX

Re: American Horror Story - Hotel on FX

I think you meant to say William Powell. Bill Holden was way too masculine sounding, far from the james March character, which btw is my favorite in the show this season.
    Hurting you is the last thing I want to do... but it's still on the list

Yep - I meant Powell. Stupid autocorrect on phone changed it. (Don't ask - I don't know why).

But thanks for getting what I meant to say. I really wish Peters and O'Hare got nominations for sure.

OK, it's the next to last episode of the season and it was quite good.

It was nice to see Donavan and his mom make peace before he died. Matt Bomer did well this season and I hope he returns for a regular part again next year. I do however wonder if this part would've gone to Finn Wittrock if he wasn't as busy doing movies or other projects, but still - Bomer did well. Kathy Bates' Iris also had a lot of good bits too - from mourning her son to standing on top of the hotel realizing she was truly free. It was a bittersweet moment.

Loved the irony with the Countess and her demise. They did well on the fooling bit this time - her being saved from the girls' shootout (wounded but not killed) get fixed up and then meets her end as the last piece of the 10 commandments killer's collection. Lady Gaga's acting here was at its best honestly, with I think the Countess' reaction to her children giving up their lives to save hers being the best (though why only two when there were at least four children including Scarlett's brother). You could definitely see heartbreak there.

Disappointed they chose Queenie of all people to be Ramona's next dinner. This scene was the ONLY time I didn't like Mr. March - not because it was badly played, just because Evan Peters showed that carefree heartless cold-blooded killer intellect (i.e. "You can't harm someone who is already dead" as Ramona kept getting injured from Queenie's voodoo powers.)

Someone had mentioned that they thought she took over for Emma Roberts as the character in the role (who couldn't do it due to Scream Queens) but that wouldn't make sense as Madison died. That said - for the brief time that she was in this show, Queenie was delightful, funny and sharp-witted. You could tell that both Gabourey Sibide and Angela Bassett enjoy working with each other. It was a fun scene and helped solve the issue as far as getting rid of the measles. (BTW Ramona - thanks for eating the appetizers - the kids were far too annoying).

Speaking of Ramona - they did leave one thing in the air: Did she and the Countess actually walk away from each other or did the Countess kill her? I'm not sure about the latter as that would mean if she fed on Ramona's blood to be 100 percent healthy, it would mean that - theoretically when she was shot, John would also be riddled with bullets. (Glad this didn't happen - would've just been an easy way to cop out giving Sally what she wanted - him dead and a hotel ghost).

Speaking of Sally - OUCH in that flashback and a pretty good explanation where the addiction demon came from. I had to watch the flashback twice just to understand where she was sewed together with the other two bodies (it was her choice). I've felt a lot of this season that Sally was the most extraneous character out there, but Paulson has played her well.

Mr. March and the Housekeeper - I didn't expect to see that coming as far as who tipped the officers off. The scene between Peters and Mare Winningham was well played with him banishing her from his presence and her feeling "free." No, she didn't disappear or anything, as she still has purpose washing bedsheets and the like (and has friends such as Iris and Liz Taylor) but I think it's nice for her to finally realize that March was never going to love her. The Countess' reaction to the scene was quite interesting, you could tell she was thinking about her life then and now in the exchange.

The "Grocery shopping" tidbit with John and his family too was funny.

And I don't have enough space to mention how great Liz Taylor is in this episode as well.

Well, actually I do - Golden Globe nominees cheated Dennis O'Hare - and Evan Peters - out of rightful nominations in addition to Lady Gagas.

Probably more later, but it was a good part one to the season's conclusion.
    beerbelly likes this.

I have been catching up on the whole season over the last couple of weeks. I'm enjoying it, but Murder House is still my favorite season. The whole "erotic murder" theme of this season is off-putting to me. I suppose I just don't find rolling around naked in blood sexy! I do think Lady Gaga has been doing a very nice job. Her demeanor is very good for this role.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    The abortion doctor is a tie-in to the very first season - Murder House. The Countess went there to get an abortion. From what little I got to see of that season (it was before I got FX, and they showed this during a "free viewing" week), that doctor had a rather creepy interest in the dead and trying to bring back the dead.
    Thanks for this comment!! I totally missed the connection!

Am not surprised that the Detective is the Ten Commandments killer, but HOW he came to be made it interesting. Add to it Evan Peter's Mr. March adding the dark humor to the situation it made for an enjoyable episode.
    I was surprised because I can't completely make sense of it. Who was it that took his wife to that house to toy with him? Did he do it to himself? And I didn't think he started to lose his mind until he went to Hotel Cortez, but he was investigating the murders before he moved into the hotel. Are we supposed to believe he went there previously and met March? I'm lost on this story line.

Loved the irony with the Countess and her demise. They did well on the fooling bit this time - her being saved from the girls' shootout (wounded but not killed) get fixed up and then meets her end as the last piece of the 10 commandments killer's collection. Lady Gaga's acting here was at its best honestly, with I think the Countess' reaction to her children giving up their lives to save hers being the best (though why only two when there were at least four children including Scarlett's brother). You could definitely see heartbreak there.
    I recall that there were four coffins originally in the empty swimming pool. Holden was taken out of the hotel by his parents, and one other child was killed when he (she?) walked in front of the bus after being sprung out of jail by the detective. That leaves the two with the Countess at the end.

I need to go back and re-watch the last half of this most recent episode because I was too tired and started dozing off at some point.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-13-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I was surprised because I can't completely make sense of it. Who was it that took his wife to that house to toy with him? Did he do it to himself? And I didn't think he started to lose his mind until he went to Hotel Cortez, but he was investigating the murders before he moved into the hotel. Are we supposed to believe he went there previously and met March? I'm lost on this story line.
    Not sure about the toying with his wife part - I may have slept during that part some episode ago.

My honest opinion is that he had been there long before that feast with the murderers and had forgotten. How? - either he was enchanted due to whatever keeps the ghosts at the place when they die or he had too much absinthe.

The absinthe makes a bit more sense because of the rumors it is a dangerously addictive psychoactive drug and hallucinogen. Even though reality this has been disproven (though many still dilute the alcohol with water due to its high alcohol content) it WOULD still be feasible to use this as an excuse as to why he keeps forgetting the earlier murders and such.

I guess too it's possible to forget you've been to a place several times too. Been to the Peabody myself three times in the past three years and I still forget where certain things are or that they have some more unusual features in the hotel not seen elsewhere, such as phone booths with actual pay phones. Took a photo of them last year and then forgot until this year they were there on the second floor.

Watching the finale again as I missed part of it. Bit sappy in parts, but I think it was very well done and worth the weirdness of the season. Loved Sarah Paulson doing dual roles in this episode and seeing Billie Dean Howard taken down a few notches.

Overall, they did well closing the door for every character... EXCEPT I can't figure out whatever happened to Benjamin. Seriously, the baby just disappeared.

Loved the updated version of the Cortez and the costuming was stunning. The runway bit was also awesome and fun to see.

I don't think this was a horrible season - none of them have been bad IMHO, but it was definitely different. It was a fun watch and I look forward to the next season.
    waywyrd and beerbelly like this.

I loved it! Yup, I cried in the middle and was happy to see everyone get a happy ending. Plus it was funny with the 'stop murdering our guests' and the couple of hipsters walking around complaining that there wasn't any kale.

I really don't think Lady GaGa should have gotten the Golden Globe- But Liz Taylor sure did deserve it. What an amazing performance.

You are right, what happened to the baby?
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

I'm not sure if I saw the very end! My recording ended at a commercial break after the countess met a guy at the bar. Was that really the end??

I see what you did there Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar

I wasn't impressed. There are so many things that are still up in the air for me. Not to mention, the ending, FOR ME anyway...was lackluster.

The only part I enjoyed (sorta) was Liz allowing them to kill her. But even then, I thought..
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Liz Taylor was the best part of the show. I found the finale to be lackluster... meh.
    Maveno likes this.
    Boob Wrinkles - it is not a myth

+ Reply to Thread