+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: American Horror Story - FX

Re: American Horror Story - Hotel on FX

Quote Originally Posted by Fo'Realz? View Post
    Yeah ... No ... Pretty sure I'm out on this one.
    I watched the full episode, and over-all I was left feeling miserable rather than intrigued, interested or even frightened.

I don't need TV for "miserable" ... that crap is EVERYwhere, and I try to avoid it whenever I can.
    I would've preferred even the "What the Hello Kitty" (to bowdlerize it) as I did the first episode of "Roanoke" over this slice of life idea they did.

This one left me with nothing except "I'll go watch an hour of (insert whatever news station) and get the same feelings and emotions."

For most shows - that can very easily be the kiss of death. None of the other seasons I've seen (Murder House our cable didn't have FX, so it's the only one I haven't viewed) left me feeling nothing but ennui.

Evan Peters may be its one saving grace this season if he doesn't go over the top all the time. If he's as good of an actor as I think he is, he will study all the presidential candidates of 2016 (yes, including Johnson and Steen) and take the good and bad out of all to create an unstable character. It is nice though for him to get a fairly consistent amount of good - or at least memorable in the case of Roanoke - characters. (The last series I think he had scheduling conflicts which lead to the decreased roles. Still, I remember the episodes with Mott and Rory more than I do most of the other ones).

I'm out too...haven't watched a full season of AHS since Freak Show. Too much gratuitous violence and the plot revolving around the election seems like a rush job and not well constructed. I think I already know the big reveal in this plot...Sarah Paulson's wife in this story is a member of the cult and has been giving them all the info on Paulson's character's neurotic phobias. Her motive? Full custody of the boy and full ownership of their business and home. This is just a guess, I could be wrong but it just seems like the Paulson character is being gaslighted by someone who knows everything about her mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kicksave1052 View Post
    I'm out too...haven't watched a full season of AHS since Freak Show. Too much gratuitous violence and the plot revolving around the election seems like a rush job and not well constructed. I think I already know the big reveal in this plot...Sarah Paulson's wife in this story is a member of the cult and has been giving them all the info on Paulson's character's neurotic phobias. Her motive? Full custody of the boy and full ownership of their business and home. This is just a guess, I could be wrong but it just seems like the Paulson character is being gaslighted by someone who knows everything about her mental illness.
    (Please note this is an analysis of what I'm seeing in this show this season).

Well I tried to give it a second chance - but guess what? I saw the ending coming for this particular chapter from a MILE away.

Seriously - this one I'm done with it. Even Twisty can't save it, and that's sad because he's actually become more of a saving grace of this season. Peters is good, but he's an expy of their view of Trump, plain and simple.

Honestly, they made a HUGE mistake not going literal cult this season. We see this behavior every day on both sides and IMHO, in the director's dislike (to be nice) about the election results he's created a plodding, easy to predict season as you've mentioned.

I will tell you that "Hotel" is actually pretty good, if nothing else for Evan Peters as Mr. March, Dennis O'Hare as Liz Taylor and Finn Wittrock as Rudolph Valentino (not so much his rocker character - played well though).

Don't worry about Roanoke - it isn't as good. It's honestly gone downhill after the poor choices of how to handle Roanoke (too confusing) and of course the weak choices this season.

So disappointed. I was enjoying the creepy neighbor thing they had going, the clowns...and then we went xenophobic and political again in an ending Stevie Wonder could have seen. They should have went with a literal cult theme, something Charles Manson-ish. It would have been so much better than this crap.

Big thumbs down.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    So disappointed. I was enjoying the creepy neighbor thing they had going, the clowns...and then we went xenophobic and political again in an ending Stevie Wonder could have seen. They should have went with a literal cult theme, something Charles Manson-ish. It would have been so much better than this crap.

Big thumbs down.
    I agree - their hatred toward Trump has affected the quality of this season. Doing a generic cult story similar to other seasons - a generic freak show, generic hotel hauntings, etc. would've worked better.

Even Roanoke was a masterpiece compared to what I've seen, and honestly it was the worst one to me of all of them. That one at least would've been far superior if they had just done it more "Big Brother" style and had the original couple tell things in flashbacks, and the others contestants.

The show will likely still survive to another season, but it's going to take a massive hit I think with this one. Sure there are plenty of those who disagreed (to put it nicely) with the election results, but I don't think it'll bring in enough viewers to make this one a high ranking one.

Though I know she can lean politically in her views, it's no wonder Kathy Bates didn't appear this season. I wouldn't blame her: any politics aside, this would've harmed her renaissance as an actress.

+ Reply to Thread