• 1 Post By Arielflies
  • 1 Post By Arielflies
  • 1 Post By annemik
  • 1 Post By jadewarlock

Thread: Dark Matter - SyFy Fridays 10 PM

Summertime Living Easy Arielflies's Avatar

Dark Matter - SyFy Fridays 10 PM

Dark Matter

For those looking for the next Space Opera, this may be the series for you. Below is a description of the first episode.

Dark Matter Volume 1: Rebirth TPB

The six-person crew of a derelict spaceship awakens from stasis in the farthest reaches of space. Their memories wiped clean, they haveno recollection of who they are or how they go on board. The only clue to their identities is a cargo bay full of weaponry and a destination—a remote mining colony that is about to become a war zone! With no idea whose side theyare on, they face a deadly decision. Will these amnesiacs turn their backs onhistory, or will their pasts catch up with them?

* Sci-fi action from the writers of Stargate SG-1!
    Florimel likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: Dark Matter - SyFy Fridays 10 PM

I will definitely take a look. I know it runs several time durung the week.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Summertime Living Easy Arielflies's Avatar

It is also On Demand which is where I have been catching up. I didn't realize it was on until Episode 4 and I still have to watch Episode 3.
    Florimel likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm going to check it out. I love SciFi but a lot on the SciFi channel is kind of hokey.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

I have caught up and am now up to date on this show. I do like it. It had a definite Firefly vibe to it though it's not quite as good. What could be? It does hold my interest and I want to see more.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I like it and the premise, but really the only character I can engage in watching is the android/avatar. Haven't seen it in a couple of weeks due to work conflicts, but I'll give it another go to see if it's improved.

I watched parts of a couple of shows, but the acting seemed awfully stiff and, the characters were cyphers-- I'm hoping it will improve with time, but so far, I haven't felt intrigued enough to watch a whole episode. I actually don't like the android--

and what happened to Dominion? it's gotten so violent-- yuck. I'm awfully disappointed in the latest offerings on the sci-fi channel. I really love good sci-fi-- I hope another channel will fill the void. I've gone through every watchable sci-fi show on netflix-- streaming video-- and wonder if that's going to be it for the foreseeable future. So many great shows get cancelled after one or two seasons, with so many possibilities to explore-- and having characters slinging around swords and the cutting off people's heads seems to be what they offer instead

Killjoy is actually pretty good.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by cavendish View Post
    I watched parts of a couple of shows, but the acting seemed awfully stiff and, the characters were cyphers-- I'm hoping it will improve with time, but so far, I haven't felt intrigued enough to watch a whole episode. I actually don't like the android--
    I will just say I have a soft spot for androids/avatars in these shows. They are the ones who have to keep a straight face, monotone, little inflection. None of these are easy to do.

And admittedly Caravaggio from "Starhunter" was fascinating in a creepy way - he was a hologram, but because the liner he was on was retrofitted and some of his programming was affected, he looked like he was a male version of the Borg Queen when she was moved to her body (head with a spine and a few other gears loose). But he also had a dry wit that was fun to listen to.

and what happened to Dominion? it's gotten so violent-- yuck. I'm awfully disappointed in the latest offerings on the sci-fi channel. I really love good sci-fi-- I hope another channel will fill the void. I've gone through every watchable sci-fi show on netflix-- streaming video-- and wonder if that's going to be it for the foreseeable future. So many great shows get cancelled after one or two seasons, with so many possibilities to explore-- and having characters slinging around swords and the cutting off people's heads seems to be what they offer instead
    Dominion - and Defiance - really have started to get overly gory. It's really unnecessary honestly. One of my favorite horror movies of all time - House (and even House 4) WORKED because they were more shadows and tension than actual blood and gore. That way when you did see the monsters (or hear sounds), they really were scary.

I think they need more sci-fi like "Starhunter" which is doing a third season now and could be on TV. Ascension last year was good but they painted themselves into a corner far too soon and that caused problems. It could've done with another season.
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread