+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief HBO

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief HBO

Sunday March 29th, 8pm on HBO, Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief

A religion founded by a science-fiction writer with a fondness for yachting caps, Scientology may be recognized as a legitimate religion by our government, but by anyone else who watches HBO’s documentary Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, it seems more like a cartoon of mendacity.

Former members tell stories of forced labor, removing children from their parents, compelling adherents to part with large sums of money only to be repaid with the revelation that our Earth is a “prison planet” overseen by the all-powerful galatic overlord Xenu, who sounds like a foe Jack Kirby might have dreamed up to battle the Fantastic Four. None of this makes Scientology sound like the most welcoming of religions, does it?

Yet this frequently jaw-dropping documentary by director Alex Gibney, drawn largely from the book of the same name by Lawrence Wright, demonstrates vividly how a cult can spread among people searching for something greater in their lives, some advantage over others, some grand answer.
    The rest of the review: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/going-clear...747708150.html

Scientology, a pseudo-religion (cult) created by a con man, bringing in billions of tax free dollars. How do people actually fall for this "Xenu, the Galactic Overlord" nonsense?
    momrek06 likes this.
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

Re: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief HBO

I am looking forward to watching this. My mother told me a story once when she was in her early 20's her friend invited her to a seminar back in the early 80's. It ended up being a Scientology meeting. She didn't know anything about it and after hearing about "auditing" and aliens, she stood up to leave and they wouldn't let her leave. They had locked the doors and she was stuck there for 6-7 hours trying to be convinced that she needed to be audited to become "clear". She ended up finally being able to leave. Very crazy.
    Punkin likes this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Thanks, Punkin, I have it set to record. It looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    I am looking forward to watching this. My mother told me a story once when she was in her early 20's her friend invited her to a seminar back in the early 80's. It ended up being a Scientology meeting. She didn't know anything about it and after hearing about "auditing" and aliens, she stood up to leave and they wouldn't let her leave. They had locked the doors and she was stuck there for 6-7 hours trying to be convinced that she needed to be audited to become "clear". She ended up finally being able to leave. Very crazy.
    Rc, OMG.
    KAREN

Geez, that is terrible! Thankfully she didn't fall for it and was able to leave.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I want to see this, but don't have HBO. I think it's a very dangerous belief system that knows how to get a strong hold on people. I grew up in a small town and there was a Scientologist presence there. I never went to any of the meetings but I thought it was very strange. I've seen other documentaries on it and read books. I think any sort of religion can be dangerous if it's "too religious" or controlling but I do think Scientology is in it's own special kind of crazy.

Been there, done that! Without the 'not being able to leave' part. Early 80's, Scientology was big in SF, looking to hook the leftover flower children and spiritual seekers. I can't remember how my girlfriend and I were recruited to take a "test" followed by counseling (recruitment") and a push to read Dianetics, the Scientology bible sort of. Or, maybe the first chapter in the science fiction "bible" of LRH, the very big time con man who invented a "religion". Tax exempt! I did try to read Dianetics, but I was used to reading a lot of science fiction at the time and it just read like so much baloney to me. Back then you really had to have your 'baloney meter' running all the time. There was EST, Transcendental Meditation (OK, yeah, I did that one for a short bit), and all kinds of other New Age distractions. Patchouli was heavy in the air. But of all those things, the one group to endure and thrive has been Scientology. Go figure. It was the stupidest one of them all!
    Realitychick, libgirl2 and JosephD like this.
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

I'm skeptical of any religion that tries to character assassinate a member who chooses to leave their church. (Katie Holmes and Leah Remini come to mind when speaking of Scientology). To me, if your religion is pure of heart and not some mind-controlling cult, then yes, you would be sad to see anyone leave, but you would wish them luck nevertheless, and let them know they're more than welcome to return should they have a change of heart.
    Punkin, dagwood, candor and 4 others like this.
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Actually, with all the negative media that Scientology gets over and over again its a wonder anyone is even interested in joining.

And mentioning Leah and Katie......not only does this religion make it so very hard to leave IF YOU DO you are mocked and shunned by all the members.

Jexter likes this.
    KAREN

I'd like to see it too, but I don't get HBO right now. I did some research a few years ago about it and it was shocking. There are several odd cases involving the deaths of members that are questionable. Please post if they cover those stories. One involves a young woman in Florida who was allegedly kept in a hotel room against her will.

There are other groups who call themselves religious who also mistreat people too. I witnessed it growing up. I'd like to produce a documentary about them.

I started reading the book, but got sidetracked reading others. I don't have HBO, but have a way of watching HBO GO, so hopefully it will be on there.

Personally, I will never call this a religion. I consider it an alternate lifestyle. I'm sure the organization has a lot of dirt on it's more big name members, namely Tom Cruise and John Travolta. If you know anybody in the acting community, it's not really a big secret, but things they choose to not discuss. I think it's sad that people can be so brain washed, but it happens all the time.

When my daughter was 19 and going to performing arts school in NYC, she was approached by members. Luckily she told me before doing anything, and I told her to stay away. I think this is a very scary organization, regardless of who is a member.
    Punkin likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast