+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: American Crime on ABC

Re: American Crime on ABC

Did anyone catch SEASON 2 of this last night? It sure looks to be off to a good start.

I already have some ideas about what might have really happened. I hope this season the TRUTH will be a little easier to decipher. Great cast!

American Crime Season 2 Premiere Date Announced | American Crime
    Punkin, mika06 and redsox girl like this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

We enjoyed it!! I liked the first one Debb, but this looks better...
    redsox girl likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

So have you formed any opinions yet? This is what my initial observations were. Sorry, I don't know the names yet. When the boy who, I'll call the victim for now, was sitting in the gym looking at photos on his phone, he seemed to be okay. Wasn't he looking at photos of the white guy with dark hair, basketball player? He seemed to be quite amused and happy. He doesn't seem to be upset until he sees that photo of himself. So, if one of the guys on the basket ball team had assaulted him, why would he be in the gym acting all carefree, seemingly enjoying looking at photos of them on his phone?

On my radar for an attacker I'm looking of course at the two top basket ball players. The African American player seems wound pretty tight, but so does the white one. I'm more concerned with the basket ball coach. Right now, he's my primary person of interests. He seems to have some secrets. But, if he was him, why would the victim go into the gym, knowing he would run into this guy. Of course, maybe the victim really has no idea who assaulted him. He must know someone did it. If he was raped, he would have had ample evidence of it when he woke up. He would certainly have been in pain. Did he mention this? I missed one part when the victim was talking to his mom, so I'm not sure if she asked him about this.

I was disappointed the school didn't call the police or social services. Aren't they Mandated reporter of child abuse?

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

I think the boy was raped. For now, that's all I think..he seemed uncomfortable at the game, not happy( jmho)
    mika06 and redsox girl like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I think the mom said he was drugged and can't remember what happened but she is guessing he was raped because of how he's acting. That's how I read it.
    mika06 and redsox girl like this.
    Lynda

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Wow, these people can write!
    The victim is poor. He's not part of the in-crowd.
    He was invited to the captains party (for adults that would send up red flags because why are they inviting a kid they think is a loser unless it
    's to do something bad). The kid is so excited the cool kids are inviting him to a party he isn't thinking at all(normal adolescent behavior).
    He asks his friend, who is a girl, to come along.
    They are separated at the party.
    This happens when the jocks invite the unpopular kid into another room.
    They ply him with booze.
    And unbeknownst to him, the booze is spiked with a drug.
    Players(or one player ) take photos of him (they undress him, pose him simulating sex acts)
    He does not know this happened (much like female rape victims have no recollection when they are drugged)
    He leave with his female friend
    She remarks to the kids Mom she was stuck with snobby cheerleaders who made no secret of how much they despise her for being poor and possibly because she is a minority. They make fun of her phone(the screen is cracked). It's socio/economic snobbery.
    The kid has some sort of fuzzy recollection of the night
    But he can't be sure so he is anxious
    like any teenager he is addicted to the social media feed on his phone.
    Proof! one of(or more than one) basketball player sent out the cell photos of him drunk and posed in sexually explicit positions, to the entre school.
    The mother of the boy, who works a night shift (and probably another job)in order to afford her sons tuition to the school is angry at him becaue the principal tell her the photos show her son drunk and he refuses to talk about/acknowledge his bad behavior.
    The kid knows he's been raped(now that he sees the photos it strengthens his fuzzy memories into reality-but being a boy, it's more traumatizing. So he shuts up about it.
    Until he breaks down and tentatively tells his mom he was assaulted at the party. In his gut he knows it's true, but the fuzzy memories and the fact the powerful popular basketball team are involved make him second guess himself.
    He's living in emotional hell.
    HIs mom believes him.
    She goes to the school principal. Asks her to look into it.
    Probably because he views the principal as someone `good' because she is in a position of power. Because the school `accepted' her `poor' son into their rarified air.
    The principal feigns concern. She plays her cards while the Mom is in a place of emotional trauma and weakness.
    The "oh by the way, just sign these papers so we have a record of the meeting' the implication being she's creating a paper trail to help the mom and boy. Which is the opposite of why she's doing it.
    The Principal and the coach are powerful within the school hierchy. That basketball team is the centerpiece. It raises tons of money for the school. As is shown at a fundraiser where there is a short tribute film about the coach-testimonials from his players. The Principal lauds him and the teams years long championship record (which came to be on their combined watch). The wallets come out.
    The principals message to the coach is "contain this."
    When the Mom has another meeting with the mother the mother realizes the rape is being covered up and the powerful kids who are involved, are being protected over the welfare of her son.
    The principal repeatedly reminds the mom in their initial meeting the mother never mentioned rape...she pulls out the paperwork to show her the Mom signed paperwork acknowledging such
    The mother rightfully protests that's not what or why she signed.
    The Principal reiterates hurling around claims of rape destroy innocent lives.
    She says the moms son is lying (though not using that word) to the mom in order to excuse his bad behavior. Because he never mentioned being violated or sexually assaulted until now.
    The mother explains her son was drugged, his memory fuzzy, but he's sure it happened and shame/fear/feeling powerless kept him from saying anything until now.
    The mom, is thrown out on her backside.
    she makes a call to the police.
    "I want to report a rape."

The coach's daughter is a cheerleader who is lauded for that, but when she displays that same sexuality outside of a routine she is filmed by her Dad, the coach, so he can show his wife how crudely she behaves.
    Mixed message much?
    Was the daughter one of the awful cheer leaders at the party? Does she and other cheerleaders know something about that night? Are they actively covering it up or dismissing it as a prank on a` loser'?
    The two basketball players:
    The black kid is portrayed as hyper sexual and easily frustrated when he can't get sex.
    He is rich.
    The victim poor.
    The basketball players Mom is a suffocating, cold woman. A snob. She overcompensates -her son can't be no.2-he has to be the best-success in all areas at all costs. HIs girlfriend is `tramp' to her because she isn't well off. She's even angry at her son because he lets another player take a shot(her son does it so the kid can get some glory) a shot "that belonged to you. Don't do that again.'
    The other player-not much info. I think he was uncomfortable when one of his team mates showed him a cellphone photo(they didn't show us the photo). It might be a sext photo of a girl. Or of the boy.

The victim friend.
    Her Dad is working/taking care of her ill mom.
    It's clear the daughter cares/worries about both of them as she massages her Dads shoulders (we don't see his face) and asks him how he's holding up.
    She sits with her mom. Who is hooked up to an oxygen machine, in the apartment bedroom.They are close. We know this through tender smiles and the way the daughter gives her a sip of water.

The coach' wife photographs the games.
    She strikes me as cold right now.

There is a dance repeatedly shown, rehearsed by two teenager in front of their teacher and another woman(I think)
    It is a mix of passive/violent/graceful sexuality.
    Interesting to note the teacher tells one of the dancers not to look like he/she is uncomfortable with the way the other dancer is aggressively pushing his hand into her mouth/neck/face. She tells her, instead , to accept it, lean into it.

I think the father of the poor girl is played by the actor who was nominated for an Emmy for his role in last years American Crime.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 01-07-2016 at 06:45 PM.
    Punkin likes this.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

Yes, exactly! That's what I meant to say!
    redsox girl likes this.
    Lynda

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    Yes, exactly! That's what I meant to say!
    Oh no, no- I wasn't responding to your post like you know "here's' what happened' lol Sorry. I was keeping notes because I remember from last years version, it lasts for a billion weeks and I needed notes by the time it was over. It's my cheat sheet.

Although, truth be told my Dad summed the premiere up this way: "How come she didn't call the cops to begin with?"
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

Damn! You keep good notes. Many of the things you noted I had forgotten already! Some series like this one I will watch twice just to be sure I'm getting it all.
    Lynda

I guess the mother thought the school officials would handle it appropriately and go through the right channels. Who would think that a school would sweep it under the rug. Maybe, a college, but not a school that has minors as students. I think that is illegal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast