+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: American Crime on ABC

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: American Crime on ABC

I am giving it another week, we liked it, we didnt love it.
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I was hooked by this show right away. I love when a drama is written to show the appealing and not so appealing parts of characters so that rather than good guys and bad guys you have real people. I thought they did that very effectively with just about every character here. It seems like they are going to put a lot of effort into challenging perceptions, and I'm intrigued to see where things go.
    Maveno, Florimel and redsox girl like this.

I completely agree, AcookerTV. The actors really convent the feeling of these characters. I'm eager to see what's coming.
    redsox girl likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I'm catching up with this on Hulu, so not sure where it stands in real time. It IS completely depressing, in many ways, but I am hooked, four episodes in. As AcookerTV said, it's refreshing to me to see characters that aren't all good or all bad...that's how it is in real life. I think what struck me most, episode 3, was the sister of the Latino teen put in juvenile for "renting" the car, confronted by the Police, "asking" for her ID. As a cop for over 25 years, unless loitering was breaking a city ordinance, there didn't seem to be any indication of a crime. So, "asking" for ID is just that...asking. It's called a consensual encounter, and she seemed to be within her rights, not to give her ID. But that's what happens...the tone, the changing from "asking" to "telling"...I felt really bad for her but it may have been important, so she could see how her father felt, in letting the brother talk to the detectives.

Very dark, for sure, but I'm really liking all the actors' performances. It's very real.

We are watching, its something different .It is dark, but very well done.
    -Andy Rooney-

Is IS dark, too dark for me. Even with Felicity Huffman and Tim Hutton, two of my favorite actors, I just can't get past that. Hutton has done some light stuff, Nero Wolf and Leverage, and some other really dark stuff, Ordinary People and Taps, to name a few, but they were all riveting. This is wonderfully done, but I just can't get into the characters.
    Punkin and sparklete like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I like these characters, for me they are very true to life. The gangs the drugs etc., its all very real.
    wannasee likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm all caught up, now, and I agree with you, Fanny Mare. The sad truth from my experience as a Police Officer is that a LOT of people are hiding different things. This definitely dramatizes that, but the victims who were also criminals, the grieving father who can't keep a job because he's a convicted felon, the grieving mother who's somewhat racist and completely unwilling to accept that her son's lifestyle may have contributed to his death. Mostly law-abiding people who unwittingly abet a crime. The criminals with human sides, knowing what they did, what they should accept in the court system but influenced by those close to them...it's more real than I can even say. And that's why it's probably too much for some to take. I'm anxious to see where it all goes, and wondering if it can go more than a season? Or is it one of those that is a one season only deal?
    Punkin and Fanny Mare like this.

We said the same thing, we really hope this isn't just on for one season
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Based on the way they promoted this, I believe it is intended to be a single season. If it continues for a second season, my guess is it would take the American Horror Story format where you'd have a lot of the same people, same writer, but tackling a totally different story.
    dreamonia and wannasee like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast