+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The Last Man on Earth

The Last Man on Earth

Did anyone watch this show? I decided to check it out based on the almost unanimous rave reviews it got. All I can say is that my sense of humor must be wholly unsophisticated or warped because I thought it was terrible. The premise is interesting, especially the lawfulness vs. lawlessness scenes, and there were a couple of moments of mild amusement. Other than that, it was a struggle for me to not change the channel.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

FORT Fogey

Re: The Last Man on Earth

I did not watch it last night, but I plan on watching it at some point. Everything I heard indicated that it is the kind of show that people will either love or hate, with very little in between. If you had a definite and strong response to it, it sounds like you're normal! I think that in general, that's Will Forte's humor for you. He has a very defined style, and it's not for everyone. I read one review that talked about how people are often lamenting that there is so little that is original and unique on TV anymore - this show is both of those things and will either show networks they should do more of it, or confirm for audiences why there is so little of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I did not watch it last night, but I plan on watching it at some point. Everything I heard indicated that it is the kind of show that people will either love or hate, with very little in between. If you had a definite and strong response to it, it sounds like you're normal! I think that in general, that's Will Forte's humor for you. He has a very defined style, and it's not for everyone. I read one review that talked about how people are often lamenting that there is so little that is original and unique on TV anymore - this show is both of those things and will either show networks they should do more of it, or confirm for audiences why there is so little of it.
    I think people embrace original and unique programming when that programming does not resort to crafting the characters as caricatures. There are great possibilities for comedy/pathos to be mined from the interaction of people who seem to be polar opposites as they try to get along after finding themselves in abnormal and trying situations. This show missed the mark for me because it went for laughs using a machete when a scalpel would have done.

Please post after you watch it and let me know what you think!
    Misty8723 likes this.
    "Everything you do matters. Every moment, every decision you make it affects the people around you it changes the world in a million imperceptible ways. No matter what your reality, you can make it better." -- Richard Castle

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I watched but ended up wishing I had watched one of the other shows on at the same time. I just thought it was stupid. I could write out a lengthy post, nit-picking all the things that bothered me about the premiere episode, but honestly, it wouldn't be worth the time.

If he truly was the last man on Earth then it would be better for mankind if our species just died off rather than repopulating the world with his genes. Ugh!
    AmyKay, Uncle David and mushybrain like this.
    Current Pools: DWTS 20, Face Off 8, Survivor 30, The Amazing Race 26, The Voice 8
    Yearbook Title, Spring 2015: The FORT's Amazing Spreadsheet Wizard & Avatar Artist

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I watched but ended up wishing I had watched one of the other shows on at the same time. I just thought it was stupid. I could write out a lengthy post, nit-picking all the things that bothered me about the premiere episode, but honestly, it wouldn't be worth the time.

If he truly was the last man on Earth then it would be better for mankind if our species just died off rather than repopulating the world with his genes. Ugh!

Hahahahahaha! So true!

FORT Fogey

I couldn't figure out where the show would go.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I couldn't figure out where the show would go.
    Well, apparently in the pool. (Sorry!)

I have to laugh at the critics talking so seriously about how original and creative this show is. I am clearly missing something because there is really nothing original or creative about using a slovenly, ill-mannered, gross, slob of a guy doing stupid and destructive things for laughs. We have seen all that in the actually funny Animal House and the far grosser and more stupid Jackass movies/TV shows. And there is nothing original and creative about using an uptight, follow-the-rules, plain-Jane woman who insists upon marriage before having sex to scoff at and make fun of. (Oh, excuse me - at which to scoff and of whom to make fun.)
    AmyKay likes this.

I watched because I liked the premise but as the hour went on I found myself disappointed. Where are the animals? They all died from the virus too? And do they not realize that to repopulate mankind they would have to subsequently use their own children to do that? Sorry but there's no way I'd do that! Ever. That idea alone takes away any fun I might hope to get from this show.
    AmyKay likes this.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

FORT Fogey

I finally got around to watching the first episode, and I was amused. The show is definitely not for everyone but I give it high marks for creativity, and i give Will Forte a lot of credit for being able to hold an audience essentially on his own for the entire show. The show definitely requires a suspension of disbelief. They are going more for the fantasy question of "if you were alone what would you do?" Than really exploring the end of the population. I can't imagine watching every single episode, but when it's on and I'm not watching anything else, I will watch.

We tried out of curiosity. Mind numblingly stupid to us. But then, we don't watch any sit-coms for the same reason.
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast