+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: The Slap

The Slap

So, who watched it? Did it live up to all the hype?

I was looking forward to the first episode of this show for weeks and wasn't disappointed. I understood the premise, before watching, but didn't expect the way the story would be told/unfolded. Interesting that they will reveal the entire story from each character's perspective as we move from week to week. It's way too early for me to know if I like this sort of storytelling during a one hour television drama. Time will tell. (I'm still trying to figure out if the guy is or isn't having an affair with the young office worker. I thought we were all made to believe this dalliance was only in his mind BUT then we see him taking her hand and his sister-in-law sees what is happening. I'm confused.)

I absolutely do not think anybody has the right to strike another person's child....ever. That said, that child's parents (can't think of the kid's name) have their work cut out for them. (Although, it seems they have had their had in creating this little "monster".) Wow! I can certainly understand how/why he got on so many people's nerves during that party.

The producers are going to have to tie this all up in eight weeks. Interesting.

Looking forward to the next episode.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 02-13-2015 at 10:59 AM.
    Punkin likes this.

Re: The Slap

This show's commercial which just continually showed the viewing audience the scene with the little boy getting slapped was a turn off for me.

I realize that there is ALWAYS ALWAYS a back story to everyone's actions but an adult hitting a child like that ... just not my thing.

There are sooooooooo many other ways to handle a bratty kid. But hitting certainly is not one.

Even my hubby who rarely pays any attention to commericals saw this the other day and said "did you see that guy slap that kid" ...
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

I watched. Not sure if I'll watch every week, but I was curious enough to take in the first week. I like the premise of the whole thing and find it intriguing. I thought the production made it fall short in a lot of ways. The narrator was distracting. A lot of the drama seemed over the top and forced. For example, the debates between the slapper and the slappee's dad were very unnatural. I think they could have done a better job writing it to illustrate that the two were very different, without it being so forced. That took away from it for me.

I have watched 3 episodes of the original Australian version on Netflix, so I'm anxious to see how this one is. I recorded it, so will watch later. I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. It pulled me in from the first episode, and I like they do a different character each episode.
    Punkin and Katydyd like this.

... For example, the debates between the slapper and the slappee's dad were very unnatural. I think they could have done a better job writing it to illustrate that the two were very different, without it being so forced. That took away from it for me.
    I think their "differences" will be revealed when each of their character's specific back story episode is front and center.

I watched it and could NOT stand it. That kid was so awful I wanted to slap him. And beat the crap out of his loser parents for acting like ridiculous overly-self-aware hippies. As a parent, I have a real problem with other parents who don't parent - especially when their child is being a nuisance or worse, a danger to others.

The silly dramatic "tension" about the guy and his babysitter? AWFUL! And gross. How stupid are all these people? That is the question I was asking myself constantly. I also couldn't figure out how milquetoast 40-yearold guy and shrewish Thandie ended up together as a couple. I could not get over her self-centeredness when railing on and on and on about how she couldn't possibly go on a trip to Greece because she was sooooo important and work and things would just fall apart without her special self being there. And RUDE to the parents!!! OMG. Yeah - it's alllll about you. And then when Quinto's wife was crying and apologizing to the slappee's parents? Sheesh - grow some cojones and support your husband. Good lord, the hubris of all of them.

Seriously, the only possibly likable characters may be Uma Thurman and the Greek parents. They're the only ones who seemed slightly grounded in reality instead of some fabricated self-absorbed reality.

They are going to talk about this situation for 8 weeks? Talk about beating a dead horse and taking things to extremes with the arresting and all that. Plus the dumb affair with the babysitter? Ugh. I'd rather watch a nonstop marathon of the Twilight movies followed by 50 Shades of Grey than see any more of these simpering, idiotic people.

My husband and I thought it was terrible and won't be watching any subsequent episodes.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I think I heard someone say, perhaps in the previews, that the "slapper" had already been in big trouble in the past for slapping a child on an airplane. I like a 6 episode series that does not have an ambition to come back with another season so many months later that I've forgotten much about it. Just tell the story and get it done. With such long hiatuses between seasons (House of Cards, Justified, etc.) I find I need to go back and re-watch the last few episodes of the last season just to remember how things left off. But we are enjoying this one so far. I like the narration letting us know what's going on in the mind of the subject. And we, too, were confused about whether there really was a relationship with the young girl, or if it was in his imagination. Then there's the BBQ and she seems to be more the aggressor.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

I enjoyed it! I think the cast is fabulous, and I just love Zachary Quinto I don't agree with slapping (or striking in any way) your own child, let alone someone else's child.....but boy I could see where ZQ was coming from. What a brat! Not to mention the way he was swinging that bat around was plain dangerous! I guarantee you had he hit one of the other kids it would have been quite another story! I'm interested to see how the story unfolds, and learn more about the backgrounds of these people (esp ZQ and his wife). The previews for the coming episodes look really good. I knew this was based on an Australian novel, but I didn't realize there was a series available on Netflix. I'll be looking for it - thanks crzndeb
    Eastcoastmom likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I just cant get past the title The Slap... really I dont think I can even give this show a chance
    “Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”- Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    I think I heard someone say, perhaps in the previews, that the "slapper" had already been in big trouble in the past for slapping a child on an airplane. .............
    No.

He referred to a case that actually happened IRL a few years ago where a man was prosecuted and sent to prison for hitting a child on a plane. (IIRC there was also a racial factor). You can google it.

Anyway, one thing I thought was kind of obvious was the attention given to the guy going around randomly taking pictures. You can be sure those photos will come into play later.
    Last edited by oceanus; 02-13-2015 at 05:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast