+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: Empire

FORT Fogey

Empire

Wow, wow, wow! The pilot for Empire premiered on Fox Wednesday at 9p.

The Lyon family heads a very successful record company. There are three sons vying for control of the company when their father steps down/passes on. Each son is very distinct and interesting: 1) Andre-driven, all-business, conniving wife, 2) Jamal-quiet, talented musician, gay, 3) Hakeem-flashy, impulsive , rapper, all about the ladies. Throw in mom who was just released early from prison "for good behavior" who wants to claim her stake, and you have a very powerful story! Not to mention the shady beginnings of the company, and a leader not afraid to get his hands dirty.

Now that was a pilot that grabbed me from the first minute. Can't wait to see how this story unfolds!
    Punkin, mika06 and Coco46 like this.

Re: Empire

I'm hoping it can keep up the energy of the pilot. Taraji is one of my favorite actresses. I could use a little less of the musical interludes but whatever I can deal with it.

Yay, someone started a Thread. I absolutely loved the pilot It gave me evening soap vibes but very current. I never doubt Ms. Henson for a minute because I seen where her range can be. I still can't POI without missing Carter. I loved how restrained Terrence Howard was because he is usually over the top in these roles. This styling is usually regulated to cable. I think that is the best thing about Lee Daniels though.
    Coco46 likes this.

The actor who plays Jamal on the series (Jussie Smollett) lost his real life father to cancer just last Wednesday, the same day the series premiered. I don't know much about him, but I just watched the first episode of Empire, and set my DVR to record the rest. This show has potential. And Terrance Howard can play anything, IMO. The first two times I remember seeing Howard in a movie were in Hustle & Flow and Crash. Such a contradiction in characters, and he played them both so convincing.

This little white boy isn't typically a fan of rap or hip hop, but I'm giving the series a chance just the same. The three sons all have vastly different personalities, so the writers should have no problem keeping us guessing what will happen next, and who will ultimately take over the business.
    Last edited by JosephD; 01-11-2015 at 01:47 AM.
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

I like most of the cast, but my near revulsion over Terrance Howard means I'm going to have to skip this one. I just can't separate his acting roles from him as a person.
    waywyrd likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I like most of the cast, but my near revulsion over Terrance Howard means I'm going to have to skip this one. I just can't separate his acting roles from him as a person.
    I'm sure there are very few celebrities (and only one I can think of at the moment) whose personal lives I know enough about that it tarnishes my opinion of them so much that I will avoid watching a project they are involved in. Terrance Howard is not that one celebrity. All I know of Terrance Howard is that he convincingly played a drug dealing pimp in Hustle & Flow and was as equally convincing in Crash when he played a successful and intelligent African-American in a predominately white society. I think he's a skilled actor, but he's not what drew me to the show. Jamal is. I have to admit, I love when a series incorporates positive gay characters that are not some ridiculous stereotype prancing around with limp wrists and ending all of their sentences with, "Giiiirrrrlll, oh no she dint!"

For now, Empire gets my attention. Time will tell if it has what it takes to keep it.
    Punkin, Coco46 and sparklete like this.

He's openly admitted to stalking his ex-wife; he even wrote a song about it. There have also been numerous reports of domestic violence (The Six Times Terrence Howard Has Been Accused of Beating Up a Woman). That, plus the whole baby wipes thing:
    ELLE: What one item could you find in a woman's house that would prove that you weren't compatible?

TH: Toilet paper—and no baby wipes—in her bathroom.

ELLE: Wait. I don't think I understand.

TH: If they're using dry paper, they aren't washing all of themselves. It's just unclean. So if I go inside a woman's house and see the toilet paper there, I'll explain this. And if she doesn't make the adjustment to baby wipes, I'll know she's not completely clean.
    Howard's Den

It all adds up to a no-go for me. He makes my skin crawl. I was SO happy when Don Cheedle replaced him in the Iron Man franchise. 'Cause, if you can get Don Cheedle, you get Don Cheedle! It's a shame, because this show looks like it might be good, but I just can't watch him. For Taraji's sake, I hope the show does well, but I won't be watching.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have the same issue you do with Terrance Howard and every time I see him I think of that baby wipe interview he did. But I like Taraji too much to blow off the series altogether.

Just saw the premiere episode and episode 2 tonight. This show is THE BOMB. It really kept my attention, lots of drama, emotional scenes and great acting. I heard at first they were just gonna make a movie out of it but Im glad they decided to do a tv series instead.
    MsDiva2007 and sparklete like this.
    “Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.”- Albert Camus

The show is getting SO good. Wish it was a marathon. Scenes from next week were making me salivate. I can't wait to see what happens. Keep up the energy. Love the cast. Love the show.
    MReid likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast