+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Escaping Polygamy on LMN

Escaping Polygamy on LMN

Escaping Polygamy - myLifetime.com

Tuesday, December 30th, on LMN @9pm

ABOUT
    This 2-hour special focuses on the dramatic work of three sisters who escaped from the polygamous cult known as the Kingston clan as young women and now help other young men, women and children to escape, preferring to face hell than spend another day inside.
    Punkin likes this.
    KAREN

Re: Escaping Polygamy on LMN

There was another series not long ago about some young 20's men and women escaping the Jeffs cult. Very interesting just how deeply brain washed these folks are. I'm looking forward to this new series.
    momrek06 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    There was another series not long ago about some young 20's men and women escaping the Jeffs cult. Very interesting just how deeply brain washed these folks are. I'm looking forward to this new series.
    I swear I saw some of that series. Didn't a couple of those kids end up going back?
    momrek06 likes this.

I think at least one did. The thing that really stuck with me was that these young women were in their twenties and unmarried. That would have never happened if Jeffs had not been sent to prison. He was the only one who would determine which male polygamist/cultist the very young girls would be married off to, and he's refused to allow any marriages since he's been incarcerated.
    momrek06 likes this.
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

Jax

Thanks for the heads up on this! I try to catch all of these types of shows and would not have known it was on without your post.
    momrek06 likes this.

Wow, I really like this one! Soooooo different from the one about the escapees from the Jeffs cult. These young women who got out early and are now helping others to escape are not nearly so indoctrinated and paranoid as those from the Jeffs. They dress and make-up normally and, as was disclosed, many live life and work among Utah society without others knowing they live as polygamists. So surprising that these young ladies were related to the leaders of this sect. It was a good idea that LMN network had a two hour premiere so we could get to know the main characters.

I don't watch Sister Wives or My 5 Wives, although I've started reading the threads here just because I am somewhat curious about them, though not curious enough to watch them. (I've seen the promos though and believe Meri's mother is moving in.) But I am very curious, curious enough to watch, how people escape from these secretive, cultish societies. What courage it must take! And what anguish must drive them to leave everything and everyone they know for their freedom. I really have to wonder if, given enough indoctrination and brainwashing from childhood, I would have the steel in my backbone to break out from the cult.

Sad to learn that the young woman, Leah, who they helped move out to protect her two girls was talked into returning to her polygamous life with her husband in the cult. A waste of time and resources for the rescuers, but a stunning lesson to us to see how deep those ties that bind are for even those who do get away. Puzzling.
    You can't have everything....where would you put it?

I thought it was done very well!

Oh Dear Lord, that 'place' that Shanell's mom, Shirley lives in is HORRIBLE. Disgusting. Gross. Nasty.
    But did you all get the feeling the mom was not the leat bit appreciative of the new home she COULD be living in?
    Maybe she was just really scared to leave her husband who appears to have no time for her. ugh.
    Yes, very sad that Leah went back. ugh. Her husband is going to know she was trying to leave .... she took all her belongings. I bet things are not going well for her due to her 'attempt' to escape that life. :/
    I was glad that Shanell gave her ex FIL a piece of her mind. I think that will help bring closure to how nasty her ex-husband and ex FIL were to her and put it out of her mind once and for all!
    KAREN

Jax

I do not think the name of the girl that went back was Leah. Leah was the one cleaning houses and learning to drive. I am pretty sure it was Hannah that went back home.

I was actually shocked that the brides father showed up. I thought after someone left they were totally shunned and did not have a relationship with anyone in the family except on the down low.

Yeah, it was really obvious that Shanell's mom did not want to leave when she said she was wanting cathedral ceilings. OMG, that was such a nice house especially compared to that rat hole she is living in.

There seemed to be some contradictions (like the father at the wedding) but otherwise I totally enjoyed it. I had assumed is was about the Jeffs group, I had never heard of this Kingston group before.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytwo View Post
    I do not think the name of the girl that went back was Leah. Leah was the one cleaning houses and learning to drive. I am pretty sure it was Hannah that went back home.

I was actually shocked that the brides father showed up. I thought after someone left they were totally shunned and did not have a relationship with anyone in the family except on the down low.

Yeah, it was really obvious that Shanell's mom did not want to leave when she said she was wanting cathedral ceilings. OMG, that was such a nice house especially compared to that rat hole she is living in.

There seemed to be some contradictions (like the father at the wedding) but otherwise I totally enjoyed it. I had assumed is was about the Jeffs group, I had never heard of this Kingston group before.

YES, you are right, jay, it was Hannah!!
    KAREN

I caught this last night right before bed and in typical fashion I fell asleep with about 30 minutes left of the show. So the girl they helped leave ended up going back? Sad. I was thinking while watching this I wonder why there isn't some local non profit that helps those coming out of those families get established in "real world" (if there isn't already). I must say I am very proud of most these girls for being in a bad situation and using it to help others.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield
    FORT 2015 Yearbook Title:The FoRT's Best Little Sister And Social Media Mogul

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast