+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: State of Affairs

State of Affairs

After all the hoopla of the last few weeks, regarding the premiere of this show, I sat down to watch it live.

It took a good 40 minutes for my interest to begin to peak and my guess is they lost viewers during that time. The final 20 minutes were the best part of the show and I will consider DVRing next week's episode because of the twists.

That said, this show is very much like sooooo many others on television (and in the movie theaters) right now. Wash - Rinse - Repeat

I don't think holding back on the premiere date helped this show's ratings at all. Time will tell.

What did you think?

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: State of Affairs

I did like it, yes parts dragged, but it wasn't as bad as some shows like this. There was a decent bit of action and people you already like to hate and the ones you will end up hating I think holding off will work since so much will be ending this coming month for the winter break. But I have been wrong before.. case in point Drive, lol.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Terrible. The acting was surprisingly bad. KH isn't good enough to carry the role. Of course she is an executive producer along with her mother. I wont watch this again, I will be surprised if it lasts. Some of the storylines, her drinking then having stranger sex, but she has to be at work at 2.00am. Oy vey.

It stinks! I give it a minus 4
    bee stung lips and Cornholio like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Terrible. The acting was surprisingly bad. KH isn't good enough to carry the role. Of course she is an executive producer along with her mother. I wont watch this again, I will be surprised if it lasts. Some of the storylines, her drinking then having stranger sex, but she has to be at work at 2.00am. Oy vey.

It stinks! I give it a minus 4
    I agree. I watched a good portion of the show and surmised that was trying too hard to have a "Shonda Rhimes-ish" vibe.
    Cornholio likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I agree. I watched a good portion of the show and surmised that was trying too hard to have a "Shonda Rhimes-ish" vibe.
    That's exactly what DH said . She just isn't a good actress, and her phone going none stop and her running all these departments was laughable
    I really must post what I think.
    bee stung lips and Cornholio like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I was having flashbacks to Grey's anatomy when Heigel's man Denny died as well as during the bar scenes.

Was the same actor used to play Heigel's fiancée and the Doctor? It really seemed like it!

I agree above, that the last quarter of the show was the best part.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I was having flashbacks to Grey's anatomy when Heigel's man Denny died as well as during the bar scenes.

Was the same actor used to play Heigel's fiancée and the Doctor? It really seemed like it!

I liked the credits..
    SpringMaiden27 and Cornholio like this.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I liked it, but parts did drag. I turned it off about 10:40, so I have the last 20 minutes on DVR
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post

Different actor - there's just a resemblance, which is, I'm sure, intentional (and ham-fisted).

KH's momager is notoriously horrible. I'm not surprised she's involved with this show. I'm only half way through and I've rolled my eyes at least ten times. Someone with her job description does NOT dress like that, especially the sweater/collared shirt/pants combo. That ponytail belongs on a cheerleader, not on a CIA briefer for the President of the United States. When you look like that, you have to dress and style yourself to look more serious and professional.

I agree that KH doesn't have the acting chops to pull off this role. She's built for light romantic comedy. She did fine on GA because Shonda gave her really good material. She's not talented enough to rise above bad material.

I'm like 25 minutes in and we're just now seeing Alfre Woodard. Not happy. She (and Adam Kaufman) are the only reasons I tuned in.

ETA: Oh, and the way they're handling the graphics for texts is stupid. Other shows - Jane the Virgin and Sherlock come to mind - are MUCH better at it. No smart phone has a read out like that.
    Last edited by Critical; 11-18-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I agree Crit, as far as the texting. I was like... what is this.. encryption?? I too simply wanted to watch for Kaufman and Woodard. I feel that as good as she is Alfre was wasted in her role. I liked the idea of the show.. and felt with KH it would be balanced. She was the worst part of it for me.

The end was much better than the beginning so who knows. Like I said before the fact that there is nothing on to watch for 2 months may help it build a small following. My interest is in what will happen with Kaufman's character, and it is nice to see James Remar too. I want to think of him in something other than Sex in the City (I was never a Dexter fan). Nestor Carbonell. sigh I can look at him all night long

Also, what is with all the CIA Females that wear such high heals.. that are also well above their pay grade.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast