+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Gotham

Gotham

Is there a thread for this show? If not, is anybody else watching it?

I felt kind of meh about the pilot. Gordon seemed too self-righteous for me. I actually Bullock more. However, I am so glad I stuck with the show, because now I love it.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Re: Gotham

Same with me. Every episode is getting better. Still not 100% on board and I am not sure what is missing, but I am sticking with it for now...

Thanks for the thread. I really like this show. I assume we know many specific characters have to survive because this is supposed to be backstory. I think that makes it a little easier for me. For instance, my main reference point is the campy Adam West series, so I'm going to assume that Gordon works through his problems or he wouldn't later be the affable police commish. But maybe in other Batman renditions he isn't.

I watched the first episode and thought it was okay. I figured I would watch a couple more to give it a chance. However, then I heard there were going to be TWENTY-TWO EPISODES in season one! I threw in the towel immediately. I cannot see myself committing that many hours to this show!

When I saw the pilot, I was a little afraid that it would turn into "vilian-of-the-week." IOW, what Batman villain can we introduce this week? That's why I really like how they've focused on The Penguin. They've done a good job of showing why he is the way he is, and the actor portraying him is terrific. That scene from the last episode where he told the thug "I know your passion so I can use it to kill you" was really good. It could have come from one of the Batman movies.

Of course, the only major villain they haven't showed yet is the Joker. I wonder if he made a cameo in the pilot, though, like Poison Ivy? If you remember, Fish Mooney was auditioning a comedian at her club. He made some tasteless joke about an airline crash. I remember thinking, "That sounds like something the Joker might say." Mooney got distracted, though, and dismissed him.

Regardless, I have loved watching all the layers being added. The other night I tried to explain it to my husband and gave up.

Brooks

For instance, my main reference point is the campy Adam West series, so I'm going to assume that Gordon works through his problems or he wouldn't later be the affable police commish. But maybe in other Batman renditions he isn't.

The Adam West series was before my time, but growing up, I watched it in re-runs. I loved it! However, it should in no way be used as a source for the characters. It was a reflection of the "everything is absurd" 60's, not the true comics. I'm not a huge comics fan, but I know a little about it. I also heard that the popular Batman cartoon series from the 90's reflected the comics well. Gordon also shows up in the Nolan-directed Batman movies. In all these sources, Gordon is much the same as he is here in Gotham, only with gray hair.

Batman Begins, the first movie in Nolan's trilogy, shows this well. Falcone is a major character, and you see how he basically runs Gotham City. He even boasts to an angry Bruce Wayne (pre-Batman) that he's got all the important people in his pocket. There's a great scene in the movie where Gordon discovers that Bullock is on the take. Bullock gives him the same spiel that he does in Gotham, i.e. everybody does it. When Bullock asks if Gordon will squeal on him, Gordon says no and then adds wearily, "Besides, who could I tell?"
    Brooks likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I have always been a comic book geek.. read all the old ones because my dad had them.. I am loving this back story. I simply take it as Jim's story. I do find my self saying, that will become so and so, or they do this, etc.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Next episode is the fall finale. I'll bet that means nothing to watch on Monday night tv until after New Year's. Poop!

Love selena. That actress is so darn cute.
    FireWoman likes this.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

She is very well cast. I enjoy her scenes very much.
    Brooks and Coco46 like this.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I loved her scenes with Bruce. "You'll be in good shape if somebody mugs you with a diving board." Great! I like how they're using her character to show that Bruce is a real boy, not just Batman-in-waiting. I teared up when they were chasing each other around the living room. Also nice to see how Alfred's attitude towards her changed.

For the most part I like Cobblepot and his plotline, but it does feel like he's getting too big for his britches. I almost wish something bad would happen to him again. I must say, however, that I can definitely see how he becomes the Penguin. I never thought much about Penguin before. In fact, he was my leave favorite Batman villain because I thought he was really silly. If he had been presented like Gotham's Cobblepot, however, I definitely would have liked him more.

Speaking of which, I love Mrs. Cobblepot. That was such a good scene with her and her son last week, when she talked about her childhood bully. Did she fight back? "No, I just turned her father in to the government." Talk about your hair standing up on end. Up til then she had been presented as rather frivolous. Now, though, you know where Oswald gets it from!

The only thing I don't like about the show is the storyline with Barbara. Honestly, I never warmed to her and just find her annoying.
    Brooks and Coco46 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast