+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 478788899091929394959697
Like Tree1309Likes

Thread: Downton Abbey (ITV/PBS)

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Re: Downton Abbey (ITV/PBS)

And let's not forget the mother of them all --- Upstairs Downstairs!!! Both the 1971 series and the 2010 series.

Both fabulous and definitely binge worthy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    And let's not forget the mother of them all --- Upstairs Downstairs!!! Both the 1971 series and the 2010 series.

My FAV of ALLLLL TIMEEEE!!!! (the 1971 series)

It was sooooooo many years ago but I never missed an EPI!!!

I loved ROSE!!! Jean Marsh

Upstairs, Downstairs (TV Series 1971
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post

When Downton began, I heard people comparing it to UD. I was too young to see the latter when it originally aired, so I went and found it on DVD at the library. Wow. I loved it! I was glued to the whole thing. I think they did an especially great job with Seasons 3 and 4 (?) where they showed the effects of WWI and its aftermath. That was some of the best television I've ever seen.*

Now I think of DA and UD as my two children--I love them both, but in different ways. I love how UD was so realistic in showing life back then, and that it wasn't afraid to leave things without a happy ending. And I loved how they really developed the servants' characters. I cried in the final episode when they all had to go their separate ways.

OTOH, I love that DA was able to move out on location. I could look at those gorgeous sets all day. And don't even get me started on the costumes. I purchased a couple of DA books just so I could look at those costumes whenever I wanted. And sometimes it's good to escape into TV fluff and enjoy a happy ending.

Speaking of binge, did anybody else's PBS channel show a bunch of DA episodes recently? I've got them stacked on my DVR, and I was going to watch them over Spring Break.

*PBS nearly passed on airing DA. At that time, the BBC was about to reboot UD, and so PBS was going to air that (just like they aired the original). They thought that DA wouldn't survive the competition, so why not go with a proven hit? Fortunately, they were open to changing their minds. I believe the 2010 UD only lasted a season. (I watched the pilot, but since at that time I had never heard of the show, it didn't really grab me and I passed.)
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread