+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 248
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Downton Abbey (ITV/PBS)

  1. #71
    FORT Fogey nanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,395

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    In a question and answer session of an interview someone asked Jullian Fellowes about a lady's maid for Edith. He replied that she did have one and gave her name - but explained that she wasn't seen on camera. There are, supposedly, many more servants besides the ones we see on camera and who are given lines. As JF said, if they had lines, "Then you have to pay them more!"

    The single daughters did share a maid (Anna,) and Mary, as a married woman became entitled to her own. However, Edith as she is the only single daughter left, couldn't be expected to dress herself now could she?!

    Just as one more note, the cast said in an interview that once Sybil (Jessica) tried to dress herself and came down with her dress on backwards!

  2. #72
    FORT Fogey CantGetNuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,405

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I do wonder about the dialogue between Anna and Mary after Mary told Anna of the man's sudden death. Anna looked surprised, asked how it happened, and said she was relieved. Mary asked her, "Why do you say that?" Well, I think it's obvious that she would be relieved that the man who raped and beat her is dead and no longer a threat to her or other women. I don't find that odd at all and I wouldn't ask someone why they were relieved as Mary did. It didn't fit, IMO. I'll chalk it up to poor scripting.
    Mary and Anna both were thinking Bates killed the guy. When Anna said she was relieved I think she was referring to there being witnesses to the "accident". I think Mary asked why because she too was thinking Bates did it and wanted Anna to confirm that Bates was innocent.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

  3. #73
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,236

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    Mary and Anna both were thinking Bates killed the guy. When Anna said she was relieved I think she was referring to there being witnesses to the "accident". I think Mary asked why because she too was thinking Bates did it and wanted Anna to confirm that Bates was innocent.
    I don't think Bates did kill him, he didn't have much to go on..jmho of course
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  4. #74
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,205

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    I wonder if they ever let us know. I guess I'm hoping that something comes up that gives a perfectly logical explanation of what Bates was doing. Like did he go somewhere to make a purchase for a special gift for Anna or to arrange a trip or something that would explain why he went and why he was mysterious about it. I haven't read any spoilers on it. I'm just speculating.

  5. #75
    FORT Fogey tinderbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,315

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I don't think Bates did kill him, he didn't have much to go on..jmho of course
    I'm hoping Bates didn't kill him because that's what's expected.

    As much as I LOVE Downton Abbey, and I sincerely do love it, I think it's becoming a bit too "soapy". It's not that I'm above soap operas. Heck, I've watched and enjoyed them for years. However, I'm beginning to be able to predict Downton storylines, like I can with soaps, and that's not something I want to do.

  6. #76
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,236

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by tinderbox View Post
    I'm hoping Bates didn't kill him because that's what's expected.

    As much as I LOVE Downton Abbey, and I sincerely do love it, I think it's becoming a bit too "soapy". It's not that I'm above soap operas. Heck, I've watched and enjoyed them for years. However, I'm beginning to be able to predict Downton storylines, like I can with soaps, and that's not something I want to do.
    I am just guessing, mainly because I think Bates is a fair man..I don't find it soapy, but that's just me.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  7. #77
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11,205

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    What struck me is that Bates seemed so nonchalant about the thing. As he walked down the hallway, he could tell that Anna was very worried over this death and if he were involved. He knows she must wonder about his actions and this man's death, yet he acts so calm and almost like the cat who ate the canary. How is that being sensitive to your wife? He's supposed to care for her feelings, yet he acts cavalier and gives her some vague response........I didn't like it. An innocent man would have held her in his arms, looked her in the eyes and told her intently that he was no where near that man and explained in detail what he was doing. That would make Anna feel better and give her peace. Letting her stew about it is just plain cruel to me.

    Of course, if did do it, then he could have just lied to Anna about it. That would still have made her feel better. Either way he was causing her undue distress.

  8. #78
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,811

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Would telling her about it make her an accessory to his action? If so, he'd never want to do that to his Anna. I can see him avenging her honor, though.

    Debb, you are so mushy!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  9. #79
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,440

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    I did not find him insensitive to Anna. He stood by her through it all even when she was pushing him aside and he had no idea what was wrong. He just kept at it until he found out what had happened to her and then was completely supportive, something men of that time often were not. I doubt she'd even care if he did kill Green except for her worry that he'd be imprisoned again. That she couldn't stand especially if she thought she caused it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  10. #80
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    25,236

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I did not find him insensitive to Anna. He stood by her through it all even when she was pushing him aside and he had no idea what was wrong. He just kept at it until he found out what had happened to her and then was completely supportive, something men of that time often were not. I doubt she'd even care if he did kill Green except for her worry that he'd be imprisoned again. That she couldn't stand especially if she thought she caused it.
    ICAM.. I think Bates is very loving toward his Anna
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.