+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 963
Like Tree1309Likes

Thread: Downton Abbey (ITV/PBS)

  1. #31
    FORT Fogey momrek06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, California
    Posts
    12,099

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    If you can, or get the chance, there is a movie on HBO called The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel that is starring a couple of our DA friends and is quite good: Maggie Smith, Penelope Wilton. Judi Dench is also in it. I really enjoyed it.
    AWESOME movie, yes I loved it as well!!!
    KAREN

  2. #32
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    49
    Posts
    21,644

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    If you guys want to continue the discussion, we've got a thread in the Movies forum for Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  3. #33
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    25,031

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Downton toughs it out against the Super Bowl!

    ‘Downton’ Celebrates Third Super Bowl Runner-Up Finish

    By LISA DE MORAES, TV Columnist | Monday February 3, 2014 @ 12:48pm PST

    While an estimated 111.5 million viewers watched the Seattle Seahawks pulverize the Denver Broncos on Fox on Sunday (up from last year’s 109 million Super Bowl viewers) , 6.8 million viewers opted instead to watch PBS’s Downton Abbey – celebrating its third consecutive year as The Show That Did Best Against The Super Bowl.

    According to Nielsen early stats, Downton’s 6.8 million viewers is a 3% climb compared to last year’s 6.6 million opposite the Super Bowl – no surprise, given the washout-ed-ness of yesterday’s football game and the been-there-done-that-ed-ness of the Super Bowl ads.

    To put Downton’s 6.8 million viewers in some perspective, this season — Downton’s fourth — ,opened on January 5 with 10.2 million tuned in – up 22% compared to the Season 3 debut of 7.9 million.

    PBS and MASTERPIECE kicked off the #DramaBowlPBS rivalry with the Big Game on Wednesday, January 29, with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and posts on other social media platforms asking fans “which team are you on?” The campaign posts and images saw tens of thousands of user interactions, generating 31.5 million potential impressions on Twitter and nearly 1.2 million post views, PBS said, citing Topsy and Facebook.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

  4. #34
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17,936

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Have you heard what Time Warner Cable is doing with PBS? They are moving it to a high channel, so you have to have a box or mini box in order to get it. That means more money for them. Those people are so greedy. I'm praying for the day I can switch from that company.

    We have a DVR box on one tv and I have a mini box on one, but the mini box is defective and they can't fix it, so I haven't them on the other tvs. They will start charging for the mini boxes in 2015. That's when I'm turning all of ours in.

  5. #35
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    25,031

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Have you heard what Time Warner Cable is doing with PBS? They are moving it to a high channel, so you have to have a box or mini box in order to get it. That means more money for them. Those people are so greedy. I'm praying for the day I can switch from that company.

    We have a DVR box on one tv and I have a mini box on one, but the mini box is defective and they can't fix it, so I haven't them on the other tvs. They will start charging for the mini boxes in 2015. That's when I'm turning all of ours in.
    Are you sure it's public (PBS) channels, or public ACCESS channels that they are talking about? The public/leased access channels on my grid are moving to the bottom of the heap around the 1900's, but my PBS channels are staying put (13, 21, etc.)
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

  6. #36
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17,936

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Are you sure it's public (PBS) channels, or public ACCESS channels that they are talking about? The public/leased access channels on my grid are moving to the bottom of the heap around the 1900's, but my PBS channels are staying put (13, 21, etc.)
    Last night they ran a message at the bottom of the screen for over an hour that said ALL Time Warner areas would have this change. (I hope they are wrong.) UNC- which is our PBS, is moving to a high channel somewhere in the 2000 range. If yours are not moving, that's great.

  7. #37
    Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,636

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    RE: Downton Abbey

    Uh-oh. Mr. Green talking about having gone downstairs to miss the opera singer's screeching . . . where Anna was raped. And the look on John Bates' face showed that he added up one and one and got . . . "Watch out, Green!"

  8. #38
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    17,936

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    The downstairs romantic comedy involving Daisy and Ivy is just so annoying. I'm so over that. I thought the guy was going to London to chef school and that would be it. Why do they keep dragging this out. It's just too much. This is one storyline I want resolved. It's like they are out of ideas.

  9. #39
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    7,145

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    The downstairs romantic comedy involving Daisy and Ivy is just so annoying. I'm so over that. I thought the guy was going to London to chef school and that would be it. Why do they keep dragging this out. It's just too much. This is one storyline I want resolved. It's like they are out of ideas.
    I agree. The downstairs story lines with Carson/Mrs. Hughes and Anna/Bates are much more interesting and entertaining. I loved Violet and Isobel this episode and I'm looking forward to what's going to happen with Paul Giamatti's character.

    I did read that Julian Fellowes is doing a new period show set in the U.S. called The Gilded Age. I'm eager to see that one develop though I think it means that Downton will have only one or two more seasons at most. I keep thinking that the fantastic Upstairs/Downstairs went on for many seasons, but I looked it up and it was only five.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  10. #40
    Magical Elf MFWalkoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    25,031

    Re: Masterpiece Theater shows (PBS)

    Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I did read that Julian Fellowes is doing a new period show set in the U.S. called The Gilded Age. I'm eager to see that one develop though I think it means that Downton will have only one or two more seasons at most. I keep thinking that the fantastic Upstairs/Downstairs went on for many seasons, but I looked it up and it was only five.
    Fellowes has said that Downton could continue for up to 7 seasons or so (as long as it keeps getting renewed), and if his new American show takes off, he will let other writers take over the Downton scripts, and he would only supervise them.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.