+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Black-ish

FORT Fogey

Black-ish

The pilot worked for me! Nice setup, good characters, great casting, several possible story lines.
    Moontat likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Black-ish

Adorable!

Multiple times, I laughed out loud.
    alizarules and Moontat like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. Anthony Anderson was a little too over-the-top for me. I like Tracee Ross and Laurence Fishburne, so I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide if I'm in or not.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watched a little of it. I'm not impressed by the angle. Okay, there's a Black family in the suburbs? And...? The schtick has already been done to death.

I give it an eyeroll so far.
    Florimel and Imperfect1 like this.
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I wanted to like it much more than I actually did. Tracey Ellis Ross's crazy-eye look really bugs me and I found it very distracting throughout the show.

This one does not feel fresh whatsoever. The Bernie Mac Show (also involving Al Wilmore) did this "vein" a whole lot better IMO. RIP Bernie Mac.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I wanted to like it much more than I actually did. Tracey Ellis Ross's crazy-eye look really bugs me and I found it very distracting throughout the show.

This one does not feel fresh whatsoever. The Bernie Mac Show (also involving Al Wilmore) did this "vein" a whole lot better IMO. RIP Bernie Mac.
    I agree!

I like Tracey when she was in Girlfriends (boy do I miss that show!) and hoped to see her again. This just isn't the show I'm afraid.
    biggbaddgirl likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I disagree. I think Black-ish takes it one step further.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I think that this is a show that will need a few episodes to really settle in to what it can be. The first episode was based entirely on setting up a premise, but I think that as it goes on we'll get to know the characters better, and storylines will grow from there. As it evolves from "oh look, black family in the suburbs, isn't that funny" to a family sitcom where each character has a unique personality and reacts to situations in a unique way, it will be great.
    alizarules likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think that this is a show that will need a few episodes to really settle in to what it can be. The first episode was based entirely on setting up a premise, but I think that as it goes on we'll get to know the characters better, and storylines will grow from there. As it evolves from "oh look, black family in the suburbs, isn't that funny" to a family sitcom where each character has a unique personality and reacts to situations in a unique way, it will be great.
    I dunno... maybe you're right...

I'll give it another shot.

I didn’t like it as much as I wanted to.

I’m kinda wondering where the creators/writers have been for the past several decades. Black family in the suburbs is not unusual at all, and it’s not funny.

Successful black man who has money and a chip on his shoulder about his own race – that was done before on a show called “The Jeffersons”.

I saw an interview asking if this show will be the new “Cosby” show. Well, no. That show didn’t play race for laughs.

Having said all that, I’ll give it another chance.
    Kocky_Kamikaze likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast