+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Forever on ABC

Forever on ABC

I'm surprised no one has started a thread for this, and I hope it doesn't mean anyone's watching.

"Forever," a new ABC series, started this week. They had their premier Monday and then second episode last night at it's normal time.

The show features a man - Henry - who cannot die (he's 35 "forever"). He has lived now for more than 200 years, and whenever he dies, he disappears and is reborn in water - which leads to a bit of humor. He has a friend - played by Judd Hirsch, who he has taken care of since an infant (friend was a Holocaust survivor).

Because Henry cannot die - he records all his means of death to find out how he can someday finally be at rest. Doing several jobs throughout the centuries, he now works as an ME, and is teams up with an officer and helps solve cases in is unusual and "sixth sense" way - mostly because he's died some of the deaths he's viewed.

It's actually a nice mix of humor, seriousness, and mystery. The ONLY aspect I don't like is this "Adam" fellow who supposedly is experiencing what Henry is experiencing. I am hoping this is not a continuing thread throughout its run, because that will get old pretty fast. You can have people find out what is really going on in his life without constantly leaving cliffhangers around.

I think it can last a long time, but it will need viewer support. Putting it on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. (Central) will help it out some though - it's not up against a ton of challengers.
    inthegarden and kmkittygrl65 like this.

Re: Forever on ABC

My husband and I enjoyed the pilot (still have last night's episode on our dvr). I think this show has potential. Time will tell.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm definitely planning to watch this On Demand---just from the ads the star is extremely appealing!
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

I have recorded both episodes, but keep falling asleep while watching it! I really do like it, but I guess I start to watch too late at night and I just can't stay awake! I'll keep trying, because I really do think it's going to be good.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I am smiling at PWS's post because our newspaper review of this show mentioned how good looking the lead was. I had wanted to watch, but it is up against Chicago Fire.

I enjoyed it. I was thinking that Adam could have been in the first episode until he said he was older than Henry. I'm still going to watch the premiere again to see if maybe there could be clues to his identity.
    So many possibilities for this show.
    Glad to see Judd Hirsch. His connection to Henry is an interesting concept.

I'm watching. I also recorded episodes 1 and 2 and watched them both last night. I think the casting is excellent and I love everything Judd Hirsch is in.

I will put the next in spoiler tags even though I'm just speculating.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Does anyone else think that Judd Hirsch's character is Henry's son? I sensed several clues pointing in that direction.

This show is a keeper for me.
    Coco46 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Flummoxed Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, Add It Up Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Wonderputt Champion Fo'Realz?'s Avatar

Pretty optimistic about this one, based on these first 2 episodes. Hubby liked it well enough to choose it over Person of Interest, which he usually watches.
    The stars are charismatic and the characters are likable, and it feels (to me) Sherlock Holmes-ish, with some fresh twists.

I don't have any problem with the looming Adam character - so far, I am seeing him as the Moriarty figure.
    Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I'm watching. I also recorded episodes 1 and 2 and watched them both last night. I think the casting is excellent and I love everything Judd Hirsch is in.

I will put the next in spoiler tags even though I'm just speculating.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Does anyone else think that Judd Hirsch's character is Henry's son? I sensed several clues pointing in that direction.

This show is a keeper for me.
    I don't think there is a need for spoilers - it's pretty clear that in essence Henry adopted him as his son during WWII. The pilot itself had a scene with the baby - then the number, which faded to present day and we see Hirsch's character have it, then Henry kisses him on the head. The nurse either married Henry and died of old age, or something happened during or afterward not long after and she died without realizing Henry's curse.

Now biologically? - that's an interesting concept, though I am doubtful because they are rather clear in showing that the baby had an identification number tattooed on him to signify he was either in a concentration camp or tagged simply because he was a Jew in Nazi Germany (Be it Germany, Poland, etc.)

The other thing I like about this is we're probably going to see Henry die at least once an episode to keep that continuity going. Still, they made the one in the second episode at least a surprise - I expected one way, then they went the other. Then again, they did it I'm sure to explain that Henry disappears after he dies so there's no multiple copies of him.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Well that or we're supposed to presume this and Adam isn't somehow or another a version of him

The other funny part was after being cut by an X-Acto knife near the carotid, and the officer says "It's a scratch, you'll live," he says "Thank God." People would think he was just happy to be alive, but his case he's happy he didn't die and show that he's immortal.

I agree, Jadewarlock. I used the spoiler tags mostly because I waited a couple of days to watch both episodes and I thought perhaps other did so I wanted to be careful. I try hard to do that because I don't mind seeing spoilers at all so I try to not "spoil" it for others.

Good point about the tattoo. One of the things I admire most about Judd Hirsch is that he likes to portray Jewish characters without either stressing or hiding it. I'm eager to see where this will go. I'm getting a little bit of a scifi "Castle" vibe.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast