• 1 Post By Critical
  • 1 Post By Critical
  • 1 Post By ClosetRTWatcher

Thread: The KNICK on Cinemax

The KNICK on Cinemax

The Knick (TV Series 2014

Starring Clive Owen.

Premiered Friday August 8th.

A look at the professional and personal lives of the staff at New York's Knickerbocker Hospital during the early part of the twentieth century.

'The Knick' Season Premiere Recap: Doctor's Orders | Rolling Stone
    KAREN

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Re: The KNICK on Cinemax

I watched it and surprisingly enough found it quite interesting!
    momrek06 likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Good first episode. I'm in!
    momrek06 likes this.
    Lynda

I guess I'm going to have to track down episodes of this one online. An hour of Clive Owen every week is never a bad idea!
    momrek06 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm watching this week's episode and having a really hard time. I know this level is racist hatred was common for the time, but it's really hard to watch.
    Punkin likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Did anyone stick with this show?? I just finished the first two seasons On Demand and I am really hoping for a third season because I have SO MANY questions!!!

- I want to see Barrow's downfall!! Was he developing cancer from playing around with the x-ray machine too much? Is his mistress dumb, or is she really REALLY sneaky?? I kind of hope for sneaky, because he deserves it so much!

- I have grown to adore the dynamic between Harriet and Cleary, and then they totally threw a wrench into the story with Cleary's confession! I cannot recall the last time I was that thrown for a loop by a plot twist!!

- Is Dr. Edward's embarking into a career in psychology? If Thackery is really gone, who takes over? It seems like the only surgeon left will be Chickering. Will we ever get to see the horrid Dr. Gallanger get his due?

- What was up with Opal? I felt like there was some additional hidden agenda with her, but then Dr. Edward's seemed to just naturally fall back in with her. There could be an interesting twist there that we haven't seen yet.

- Where was Cornelia going?? Wasn't her husband going to Ohio? I wouldn't expect her to board a ship for the trip to Ohio...

I was also entirely uncomfortable with the level of racism in this show, but I do believe they were trying to be authentic. I cringed during the scene where they had the actors in black face and people of all races seemed to find it hilarious. On the other hand, I loved how they tied in bits of historic threads into the show like the Typhoid Mary case. I also find this period in medicine fascinating. There was so much innovation occurring!

I also loved that so many of the characters are layered. One minute you respect Dr. Gallanger for caring about his wife, and then he turns around to be a racist jerk. And Nurse Elkins earns your sympathy for being treated badly by Thackery, but then becomes ambitious almost to a fault. Just when I was getting tired of Thackery being a jerky addict, then they bring in his relationship with Abigail and I start to respect him again. I would really enjoy watching them develop these characters even further.
    redsox girl likes this.

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

I was trying to find something to binge watch-your awesome post made me remember how much I loved season 1 of this show-never got to season two. So now, I'm off to watch season 2! Thanks, ClosetRTwatcher!
    The thing about empathy is…it doesn't have a price tag; However, it will certainly cost you other things. it will cost you time to sit with someone you disagree with. It will cause you to swallow your pride... and it will cost you the “victory” of always being right.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl View Post
    I was trying to find something to binge watch-your awesome post made me remember how much I loved season 1 of this show-never got to season two. So now, I'm off to watch season 2! Thanks, ClosetRTwatcher!
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Be sure to come back and share your thoughts. I have been DYING to hear from someone else. I don't know anyone in "real life" who has watched!!!

+ Reply to Thread