+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Outlander (Starz)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Outlander (Starz)

This was on at 9pm Sat. EST according to my tv guide. I can't watch as don't have Starz, but would love to read comments. I really liked the Outlander series books (8 major and several minor ones so far)--if you've been under a rock and missing the ads and write ups, it's about a just post WWII English nurse, newly reunited with her husband, going on holiday in Scotland. She touches a local Stonehenge type rock and is transported back in time to the 1700's. She shortly sees some guys she thinks are some kind of "re-enactors" dressing in garb from the 1700's, who mistake her, in her flimsy summer dress for a hooker in her shift. She gets picked up by them, manhandled, and eventually meets up with and is forced into marriage with the handsome redheaded Jamie....let the adventures begin. Luckily her medical skills make her valued. One of the fun things in the books is her trying to recreate penicillin, ether, and other modern techniques with early 1700's technology. The books are romantic, dramatic, teach you a lot of Scottish (and later American) history of the era along the way, good science fiction, yet, if you accept the basic premise, of a modern woman in the 1700's, very enjoyable for even non SF fans.

So if anyone watched, do tell how it struck you. Thanks!

PS Early reports, posted under Books by fans of the books, are positive!
    Last edited by PWS; 08-09-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Re: The Outlander Starz

The discussion of the show should probably stay in this thread vs. the books forum. We'll treat it like we do GOT. If the series is following a book series, posters should be considerate of the non-book readers and use spoiler tags for anything that hasn't happened on the TV series yet

I don't have Starz, but I'm going to look for this one online. I'm curious.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I got the first episode through DirecTV On Demand - I think it's available from other sources (as are some other Starz Originals, the first episode of each). I thought they did a good job of setting the premise of the whole thing in one, slightly over 1-hour episode. I had a bit of a feeling that Claire was just too accepting too soon, that she'd jumped back in time but I think that's partly the tv format/time allotted. It's been quite a long time since I read the series (well, the first few books, I think I've got one or two still to go, plus all the novellas), so I may have to start the series again, to track how the show lives up. All in all, it left me wanting to see more!

Kiz

I had anticipated a wonderful show, and the premiere far exceeded my expectations in every way...cast, music, costuming, scenery (Scottish Highlands), dialogue. I felt as if I were along for the ride with Claire as she is thrust into a unimaginable situation, rather than just being a spectator.
    inthegarden likes this.
    You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. ~Humbert

FORT Newbie

I was very pleased with it. I read the first book years ago, and re-read not too long ago in anticipation of the series. I'm now in the middle of the second book. I'm so excited to see the remaining episodes.
    I think, in general, Starz does a good mini series/book adaptations (the White Queen last year was excellent also)
    wannasee likes this.

I finally watched the pilot and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and authenticity that appears to be in the production values so far. I think the actress playing Claire is about as perfect as anyone I could have imagined in that role. She looks, sounds and so far acts as I imagined her. I've liked what I've seen so far of Jamie but he has big shoes to fill. The rest of the cast all seem well chosen.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

FORT Fogey

The opening score is lovely! I'm am very interested in this show based on the first episode.

Kiz

So far, Episode 1 of Outlander has had over 5 million views! And the best news is that it has been picked up for a second season!!

Adding to Lindsay22's post: I agree, "The White Queen" on Starz was very well done and is available on OnDemand (I have Comcast).

Also, there's a new episode of Outlander tonight at 9:00 (est), and the first episode is a repeat at 8:00, so everyone can catch up.
    Last edited by Kiz; 08-16-2014 at 09:00 AM.

Kiz

Re: Outlander (Starz)

As a multiple times reader of this series, I've been blown away by the cast, costuming, music, scenery, set, and story adaptation. Ron Moore and crew have not looked over even the smallest of details to make this series as true to the time period and the book as is possible. The scene with Black Jack Russell, Jamie and Jenny in episode 2 was extremely hard to watch, but I could feel their anguish. I'm going to stop gushing, but I hope anyone whose on the fence about Outlander, will give it a try.
    wannasee likes this.

Re: Outlander (Starz)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
    As a multiple times reader of this series, I've been blown away by the cast, costuming, music, scenery, set, and story adaptation. Ron Moore and crew have not looked over even the smallest of details to make this series as true to the time period and the book as is possible. The scene with Black Jack Russell, Jamie and Jenny in episode 2 was extremely hard to watch, but I could feel their anguish. I'm going to stop gushing, but I hope anyone whose on the fence about Outlander, will give it a try.
    I agree. I can't wait until I can watch. Every so often I get a free Starz preview. The first episode was so good and like I posted in the books thread, I wasn't disappointed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast