+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Outlander (Starz)

Re: Outlander (Starz)

As a reader, I love hearing from the diehard literature group in here. (It's a rare movie that does credit to the book.)
    As a viewer, sometimes understanding the 'thick' Scottish accents gets a tad foggy, but I really enjoy this story.
    As a person, I am fascinated by the history that fills my genealogy pockets.

Just to say: I really am enjoying this series, right along with the rest of you.
    PWS and Kiz like this.

Maybe a mod can provide some insight on this but are we supposed to be putting references to the books in spoilers? I recall elsewhere there was some discussion on the best way to handle it so those who haven't read the books won't be spoiled on upcoming plotlines. Should we discuss differences between the books and the show in the book thread?

Eh, not so much. Tolkien is sacred; Charlaine Harris, isn't.
    Seriously Lol'd at this. I guess you're right. Or it just depends on the level of fanaticism in who you're talking to.
    PWS likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

FORT Fogey

Unfortunately it won't be January 1. Just announced on the Outlander Facebook page, the second half will begin airing April 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    Maybe a mod can provide some insight on this but are we supposed to be putting references to the books in spoilers? I recall elsewhere there was some discussion on the best way to handle it so those who haven't read the books won't be spoiled on upcoming plotlines. Should we discuss differences between the books and the show in the book thread?

Seriously Lol'd at this. I guess you're right. Or it just depends on the level of fanaticism in who you're talking to.
    We'll use the same rules as we do with the GOT thread: If it hasn't happened on the show, it's a spoiler. You can discuss the differences outside spoiler tags, but only if it's not spoiling future episodes. Anything that hasn't aired on the show should be in spoiler tags. For instance, I read someone discussing an episode and saying something like, "Just wait until [something] happens next season!" Not cool.

I think we've done pretty well in the GOT thread in keeping everything in spoiler tags to keep the TV-only people unspoiled. Of course, some people would like the TV thread to ONLY have discussion of the show, but that's just not realistic.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by JORY'sMom View Post
    Unfortunately it won't be January 1. Just announced on the Outlander Facebook page, the second half will begin airing April 4th.
    I wish we had an UnLike button...not for you, Jory'sMom , but for your message .
    JORY'sMom likes this.
    Each evening, I think, "Boy, things can't get any dumber." The next morning I wake up and think, "Things were so much smarter last night." - Ben Shapiro

April 4th!? That's a separate season, not the second part of the same season. Over six months between episodes in one season is absolutely ridiculous. Not happy.
    PWS likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

I know it doesn't return until April 4th, but....April 4th!? Really, after that ending tonight??? The folks over at Starz are clearly well-versed in torture.

My order of the first seven books in the series arrived today. It's all I can do to not just blow off everything I have to do (including finish a book for my book club) and just dive in!

I don't think I've seen ONE positive response online to the 7 month break between episodes nonsense. We're not alone!
    PWS and SpringMaiden27 like this.

Wait - was this the last episode until the spring? Aggghhh!!

I do have to say it was extremely well done. Though I, personally, am done with Frank. I strongly the commend the actor for playing these dual roles where the audience is supposed to feel/empathize for one and despise the other. He's doing a good job. BUT - back to Claire and Jamie please.

Critical - When I first read Outlander, it took me a few days to read it and it was to the point where I was literally distracted at my job because I was thinking about being able to get home and back to that story. It is the first and only book where upon reading the last word on the last page, I immediately flipped back to the first page and began it again. If we don't see you around too much, we'll know why LOL!
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Kiz

LOL MiaT2. I had a similar reaction to reading Outlander except that it was before I had a Kindle, and I lugged two big hard back copies of books 2 and 3 to Aruba with me. I couldn't stand the thought of even going a day without being able to get to the next book. When I came back home, I broke down and bought a Kindle and have been loving it, and the Outlander series, ever since.

On the other hand, I can't get enough of Frank/BJR. I adore Tobias regardless of the role. I never saw him in anything before, but I'm loving him. I'm so pleased with the cast from top down.

My memory is so bad and I tried to go back and check to make sure I didn't mention this before, but I absolutely love the podcasts Ronald Moore and often times his wife, Terry Dresbach, are recording for each episode. You can find them on the Starz Outlander site on Extras then Downloads at the bottom of the page. Terry's blog that is easy to find if you search her name is also extremely interesting. Oh, and I have to mention the music. Oh my gosh, what a wonderful score. Bear McCreary is a genius. The music alone, when Claire and Frank are at the stones together, brings tears to my eyes.
    Each evening, I think, "Boy, things can't get any dumber." The next morning I wake up and think, "Things were so much smarter last night." - Ben Shapiro

+ Reply to Thread