+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Outlander (Starz)

Kiz

Re: Outlander (Starz)

I'm a certified Outlander nutter, but in case anyone else is as far gone as me and wants to learn more about what it takes to produce this kind of quality show, the Ron Moore podcasts are a treasure trove of information. It's best if you can watch the episode connected to the podcast on mute as he, and often times Terry Dresbach (his wife and costume designer), describe in great detail the behind the scenes work that goes into each show. With the hiatus coming up, it could be a good way to pass the time.

The link is from Starz Outlander extras: http://www.starz.com/_ajax/originals.../extras/extras

Also, Terry Dresbach has a terrific blog where she describes in great detail the costuming: Terry Dresbach | AN 18th CENTURY LIFE

Fan is derived from the word fanatic for nothing..lol
    inthegarden likes this.
    Each evening, I think, "Boy, things can't get any dumber." The next morning I wake up and think, "Things were so much smarter last night." - Ben Shapiro

OMG I can't believe i'm going to say this but...... I was disappointed.
    I didn't like the flashback view of the wedding. I didn't like hearing Claire referred to as a Fraser before hearing Jamie reveal his true name, I didn't like the addition of the thing with Dougal, I was sad that they downplayed Claire's hangover and skipped her passing out afterward, and I didn't like the addition of the ring. All of this I could have overlooked. What really bothered me was that I hated that they changed who said the line about the sun coming out. For me, that is one of, if not the, pivotal moment where Claire sees Jamie as a woman sees a man. He's not a friend, not a patient, not an enemy but a strong, virile man.

Suddenly the inn door opened, and the sun came out, in the person of James. If I was a radiant bride, the groom was positively resplendent. My mouth fell open and stayed that way.
    The show has been so faithful to the book so far, that I was truly disappointed that they changed this in that way. The line from Jamie's perspective doesn't quite have the same oomph.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    OMG I can't believe i'm going to say this but...... I was disappointed.
    I didn't like the flashback view of the wedding. I didn't like hearing Claire referred to as a Fraser before hearing Jamie reveal his true name, I didn't like the addition of the thing with Dougal, I was sad that they downplayed Claire's hangover and skipped her passing out afterward, and I didn't like the addition of the ring. All of this I could have overlooked. What really bothered me was that I hated that they changed who said the line about the sun coming out. For me, that is one of, if not the, pivotal moment where Claire sees Jamie as a woman sees a man. He's not a friend, not a patient, not an enemy but a strong, virile man.

The show has been so faithful to the book so far, that I was truly disappointed that they changed this in that way. The line from Jamie's perspective doesn't quite have the same oomph.
    Welcome to how this Tolkien fan felt about the LOTR trilogy and (even more so) the Hobbit movies.

ETA: What's with this mid-season finale nonsense? Anyone know when in 2015 we're going to see the last half of the season?
    Last edited by Critical; 09-23-2014 at 03:47 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Kiz

ack, critical, my memory is so bad, but I think Ron Moore, or maybe it was Diana Gabaldon, said that the break was to give cast and crew time off from a very grueling and fast paced schedule. I can believe that, although I'm sure market forces play a hand. I never read how long it took to film the first half, but that would be interesting. Since they started filming in the fall, they might have taken the winter holidays off. The only mention I've seen to when it will pick back up is that it will be early 2015. My hope is that means Jan 1, 12:01 am. LOL

Season 2 is supposed to be 13 episodes rather than 16. I can't imagine that they'll break that up into two parts.
    Each evening, I think, "Boy, things can't get any dumber." The next morning I wake up and think, "Things were so much smarter last night." - Ben Shapiro

Welcome to how this Tolkien fan felt about the LOTR trilogy and (even more so) the Hobbit movies.
    I am sure. Also I believe the True Blood fans also felt similarly. Truly, some things I can understand changing. I didn't expect word for word from the book (although, in referencing this chapter, they did use quite a few lines verbatim). I think I have just been lulled in to a false sense of security given how its been so far. And given that that one line has always felt like such a crux of things for me, I was anticipating it/the part more than others. :p I should caveat that I did think the chemistry was really good and that the love scenes were well done. Again, I can't commend the casting staff enough for choosing the actors for this cast.

My hope is that means Jan 1, 12:01 am. LOL
    Agree!!!
    We can't figure out how they are going to get the rest of the first book in to the remaining 9 episodes either.
    Season 2 is supposed to be 13 episodes rather than 16. I can't imagine that they'll break that up into two parts.
    If S2 is based on Book 2, I don't even know how they are going to do that in an even shorter time frame. Hope they don't rush it.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

That is a bummer (that they changed that line)....I mean basically Jamie is a hmmm sexually frustrated kid, Claire is going to look attractive to him no matter what, but Claire is older, with a husband, in the wrong century--she's got a million things going on that would distract her from really SEEING Jamie....
    As you can tell, I don't have STARZ, but am really enjoying reading what you all say here...

I'm also wondering how they age the actors enough for the later books... there's a 20+ year leap in there.... I guess they can just have some seasons focus on what went on in the 20 years for Jamie and what went on for Claire...

Kiz

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post

I'm also wondering how they age the actors enough for the later books... there's a 20+ year leap in there.... I guess they can just have some seasons focus on what went on in the 20 years for Jamie and what went on for Claire...
    The actors who play Jamie and Claire are actually in their mid thirties, and Claire, especially, has been noted as looking younger than her years in comparison to other women in the 18th century. I don't think it will be too much of a stretch to add a few years to their actual age. It's surprising how young Sam Heughan (Jamie) looks in the series though. He has the puppy dog eyes look down pat. Of course, several other actors will have to be shown as 20 years older too. It'll be interesting to see how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I am sure. Also I believe the True Blood fans also felt similarly. Truly, some things I can understand changing. I didn't expect word for word from the book (although, in referencing this chapter, they did use quite a few lines verbatim). I think I have just been lulled in to a false sense of security given how its been so far. And given that that one line has always felt like such a crux of things for me, I was anticipating it/the part more than others. :p I should caveat that I did think the chemistry was really good and that the love scenes were well done. Again, I can't commend the casting staff enough for choosing the actors for this cast.

Agree!!!
    We can't figure out how they are going to get the rest of the first book in to the remaining 9 episodes either.
    If S2 is based on Book 2, I don't even know how they are going to do that in an even shorter time frame. Hope they don't rush it.
    Eh, not so much. Tolkien is sacred; Charlaine Harris, isn't. The LOTR movies gave one character's lines to another in a number of cases and it changed the meaning a bit. It was still annoying, but I just had to get over it in order to enjoy the movies for what they are. I definitely get prickly when things change from the books on Game of Thrones. I get when they change things for brevity or clarity or financial reasons, but there have been a few decisions on that show that don't fall under those three reasons, so I get irritated.

Re: the big break in the season....BOOOOO!!!!! I can't imagine that this show is any more complicated or more grueling to shoot than Game of Thrones. Actually, I'm pretty much positive that it isn't. GOT has a much bigger cast, more locations and a lot more work done in post production. I wonder if Starz is doing it to stir up enthusiasm and interest/anticipation. Whatever the reason, I'm not happy. If you're taking that big of a break, I consider it a new season. Mad Men is doing the same thing with their finale season - the last new episode aired in May and the show doesn't return until January. Sorry, but that's two seasons. Calling it a midseason finale is just b.s. TV PR semantics.

I hope the new episodes of 2015 are on January 1st too! I guess the break will give me time to read all of the books!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

PWS
    FORT Fogey

You better get started on the books, Critical--they are about 8, plus the ones that focus on Lord John, some shorter story type ones, etc. And while they aren't Game of Thrones length they aren't short either! Enjoy!

Well, really I only have to stay ahead of the show, so I think I'll be fine! I finished all five GOT books in probably a combined 4 weeks, so I should be able to finish the Gabaldon series by next year...or at least the first few.
    PWS likes this.

+ Reply to Thread