+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The Last Ship - TNT

The Last Ship - TNT

Based on the novel The Last Ship written in 1988 by William Brinkley.

The Last Ship (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Main article: The Last Ship (TV series)

In July 2012, the American cable television network TNT ordered a pilot episode of a series based on the novel. The series is produced by Platinum Dunes Partners with Michael Bay, Hank Steinberg, and Steven Kane serving as executive producers. Steinberg and Kane wrote the pilot script, and Jonathan Mostow directed the pilot. The adaptation varies significantly from the original novel. In addition to being set in the early part of the first half of the 21st century, the world wide devastation of mankind is the result of a pandemic for which the crew must find a cure and not the result of nuclear warfare between superpowers.[11]

The pilot was filmed at a number of locations across San Diego including aboard the USS Halsey (DDG-97), which is standing in for the show's fictional USS Nathan James (DDG-151).[12] The former Atlantic liner RMS Queen Mary, now berthed at Long Beach, was also to be used extensively.[not in citation given][13][14] The show stars Adam Baldwin, Rhona Mitra, Michaela McManus, Charles Parnell, Sam Spruell, Travis Van Winkle and Christina Elmore. Eric Dane plays the commanding officer of the USS Nathan James, Commander Tom Chandler.[15][16][17]

In May 2013, TNT ordered 10 episodes of The Last Ship, set to air in June 2014.[17] So far, the show has been filmed at a number of locations across San Diego including aboard the USS Halsey (DDG-97) and the USS Dewey (DDG-105), which stands in for the show's fictional USS Nathan James (DDG-151).

The USS Iowa museum ship was used in filming to represent a Russian ship.[18]
    The Last Ship (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In May 2013, the cable network TNT placed a 10-episode order for the series.[1] The series premiered on June 22, 2014, at 9:00 pm EDT.[2][3]

On July 18, 2014, The Last Ship was renewed for a 13-episode second season.[4]
    I just finished watching the first thee episodes:

Season 1 episode 1: Pilot - Phase Six - June 22, 2014

Season 1 episode 2: Welcome to Gitmo - June 29, 2014

Season 1 episode 3: Dead Reckoning - July 6, 2014

I waited for a couple of episodes to air so I could binge watch a bit as a reviewer had said the show was a bit slow and plodding until episode 3. Really? The started off well and with a sense of urgency and seemed to be quite intense and you don't have to wait until episode 3 to feel any excitement. It is interesting to note that the novel and TV series are quite different. Still any type of show like this shows how fragile the economy is as any type of global issues do impact everyone. The show does take a poke as some common stereotypes especially of the terrorists held at Gitmo. The world has fallen apart and still they can't get past their fanaticism. Some of the writing and commercials do feel as if it is a big ad for the US Navy. Then episode 3 adds the crazy mouse eating scientist. I did find it a bit odd that world governments where so paranoid that they were telling their scientists not to share research in the search of a cure. Considering viruses don't care about borders or politics this seemed incredibly dumb and short sighted. But considering current events in the Ukraine and how Putin is helping to create chaos in that region of the world maybe we shouldn't be surprised at some of the stupidity of the characters in the series. Then to learn that someone genetically altered the original virus to use as a biological weapon? Is that really possible considering the time frame of the CDC doctor taking samples in Egypt and then next we see her in the Arctic?
    momrek06 likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: The Last Ship - TNT

Oh one of my gf's was telling me about this show.

Her DH loves it.

I think my DH would love it but I need to find it as we are way behind.

Maybe NetFlix.

Thanks, Bearcata, for your great post.
    KAREN

TNT does marathon its shows and does repeat broadcasts probably check out their website for tv schedules that or use the On Demand feature if you have it or watch online.
    momrek06 likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    TNT does marathon its shows and does repeat broadcasts probably check out their website for tv schedules that or use the On Demand feature if you have it or watch online.
    Oh awesome, ON DEMAND!!!
    KAREN

I do like this show and am glad it has been given a second season. It stars two of my favorite actors and both are doing a great job. I think they have shown governments, all governments, as they truly behave. I'm definitely eager to see how the story develops.

Can;t really say I'm overly fond of the doctor. I'm not really sure if she cares more about saving people or getting the credit for doing so. She may be changing for better or worse as the plot goes on. Only time will tell, but I figure I'll still be watching.
    Coco46 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

The addition of Tex, and his interest in the doctor, seems to be softening her up.
    I've only seen John Pyper-Ferguson in roles where he plays some type of psycho or evil person. I like him as Tex. I just hope he stays normal.

I thought the team was going to find and save the girl who was sent across the river.
    I wish they would leave out experimenting on the monkeys. I'm not too happy about that new development.

My first glimpse of John Pyper Ferguson was as Pete Hutter in The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. Yes, he played a bad guy but he played it for comedy and he was fantastic. The character had a fetish for his gun, he called it "Pete's piece." He made me laugh out loud and I've looked for him ever since.

He's one of those actors who just draws you in. An excellent addition to the cast.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

this show is boring but i been watching anyways

it looks pretty expensive to film given the locations, ships and water shots and all that

i normally cant/dont watch 44 minutes dramas where there is no comedy/humor injected into it...

i just popped in here to say that the el toro episode (prev weeks) fooled me. for a split second i thought that after suffering through several loooong humorless episodes that the show was "evolving" into something else. for some reason when they were in nicaragua the thought came into my mind that some supernatural stuff was gonna happen and then there was something about rhone mitra's character waking up asking "did something happen" was on some psychic stuff ... boy was a stupid, i must be really jonesing for something of that genre bad.

btw, ot. but man that black guy (who's the chess partner) look just like that actor from The Practice that played Eugene Young. is that him or his relative? that side profile, same nose, lips, same scoul

It is a pretty decent show, not the greatest, but not bad either. I was hesitant to watch it since I tend to hate anything Michael Bay churns out. I was pleasantly surprised and am eager to see what they can do with a second season. I like John Pyper Ferguson in this though I don't trust him since I have never seen him play a good guy.

i googled the guy couldnt put a face with the name... yeah he does seem shady to me

he also just seems a lil too happy-go-lucky given the circumstances

he's on course to hook up with doctor scott though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast