+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Extant (CBS)

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Extant (CBS)

Surprised there's no thread yet for this, unless I missed it. So far only one episode, repeated on a 2nd night, so you haven't missed much. As I'm sure you know from the ads, Halle Berry is an astronaut, Molly, who goes off to space alone for 13 months (yeah, that happens, but let's not quibble) and comes back pregnant. A little backstory you gather through the first episode, which has been widely leaked through ads, is that she is supposedly infertile (at least with her husband, the hunk who replaced George Clooney on ER, Goren something I can't spell), and the two have a robot child (the dad runs a company that makes robots that he hopes have feelings, at least if they are brought up as a child would be--not clear if they get a new model each year or it if grows). Dad and robot child think Molly seems different. Molly seems not nearly as fond of robot child as dad.
    Molly also has a dead husband...a black guy...and apparently an earlier astronaut she knew committed suicide... and for the moment her NASA doc seems to be keeping her pregnancy secret from TPTB. So who's the dad? An alien? Is Molly even the mom, or is this more like Alien the movie? Stay tuned....
    Did anyone else watch?
    Punkin likes this.

Re: Extant

I haven't watched it yet...I was waiting to see what everyone thought about it :-)

Flummoxed Wonderputt Champion Fo'Realz?'s Avatar

I did watch the first episode and found it intriguing.
    Good casting, I think, and they started right off by setting up a lot of possibilities for interesting plot twists. I definitely had more questions than answers by the end of the hour, and I hope that the writers will strike a satisfying balance of mystery creation/resolution so that the whole thing doesn't become too confusing to enjoy.

Planning to watch again next week. Optimistic.
    Punkin likes this.
    Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

I taped the replay last evening even though I had watched the first episode already. It was so confusing and I couldn't make out key dialogue so thank you, PWS, for explaining about the dead husband and the suicide astronaut who shows up as the shadow man on her road and tells her to trust no one and says, I think, that we are extinct. The child is getting creepy and does beg the argument, if he becomes psychotically homicidal, will his Dad hit a kill switch? Lots of morality questions at the dawn of the helpful robot world.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Re: Extant (CBS)

It's mentioned under the Summer thread. I commented there that I liked it. I think it looks promising.

Thanks for explaining who the guy in the spaceship was. I didn't get that.

I did wonder why they said the deleted video couldn't be accessed. Certainly NASA could view the footage. Deleted doesn't mean it's completely gone, even now.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I was unimpressed, but I'll give it another episode before deciding.
    Punkin, Florimel and Miss Scarlet like this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Enjoyed it very much! Sure there were some "yeah, uh huh, right" moments but overall was good enough that I'm looking forward to more.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Did you notice how spaceship guy only repeats what she says? Um, there's a clue right there, Molly, that something is off! At least she had the presence of mind to set the recording....before she deleted it I mean--so that she would have a record of what happened.
    And note robot kid says he found the bird like that, but we heard a lot of cawing....

Going to look at my kids' Roombas a bit more nervously now!

That little boy reminded me of a movie about a child like him. The child actually becomes a real child. He travels the universe from people trying to kill him. Great movie. I can't recall the name though.

Flummoxed Wonderputt Champion Fo'Realz?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    That little boy reminded me of a movie about a child like him. The child actually becomes a real child. He travels the universe from people trying to kill him.
    Great movie. I can't recall the name though.
    Was it this one?
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    Debb70 likes this.
    Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast