+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Extant (CBS)

FORT Fogey

Re: Extant (CBS)

I DVR'd it and finally just watched it. I will definitely give it another episode or two to see where it's going, but apparently we aren't going to find out what's really going on for a while. Reminds me of Resurrection in that sense, and I find it a bit frustrating. It seems the part she deleted from the spaceship recording was when she "saw" her former husband, but it looked like he wasn't seen on the recording, so I'm not sure why she felt she had to delete it, unless she was afraid of losing her job for being thought crazy. However, it seems her superiors would be more understanding of hallucinations from being alone for so long in a confined space than it would be to "accidentally" delete part of a recording she was required to make.

The robot kid is creepy. I hate creepy robot kids! Or any creepy kids in movies or TV shows.

ETA: Another of Meryl Streep's daughters has a part in this show. We've seen Mamie Gummer in a couple of other shows. This is Grace Gummer, who plays the young woman who called to the kid before the father's presentation and had her arms around him on stage.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

She did remind me of Mamie! She seemed very warm to the child---he certainly seemed happier to see her than his mom.

Just watched the first two episodes, Re-entry and Extinct. Production values are high and while the first episode seemed a bit off, when son Ethan "found" the dead bird and said he found it like that, that entire scene came across chilly, demon spawn and more supernatural vibe then the alien encounter conspiracy syfy vibe that they are going for and it seemed a bit of a disconnect. I think I might enjoy this show more just waiting and watching 2 episodes at a time. Liked them doing the sonogram at a boarding kennel. What threw me off a bit was watching Hiroyuki Sanada as Kinji Matsumo who I just watched play a similar character on Syfy's miniseries Helix.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Just watched the first two episodes, Re-entry and Extinct. Production values are high and while the first episode seemed a bit off, when son Ethan "found" the dead bird and said he found it like that, that entire scene came across chilly, demon spawn and more supernatural vibe then the alien encounter conspiracy syfy vibe that they are going for and it seemed a bit of a disconnect. I think I might enjoy this show more just waiting and watching 2 episodes at a time. Liked them doing the sonogram at a boarding kennel. What threw me off a bit was watching Hiroyuki Sanada as Kinji Matsumo who I just watched play a similar character on Syfy's miniseries Helix.
    Forgot to mention it but I got the distinct impression he might be a clone.

The show is going for an interesting mix of supernatural ( I see dead people) and syfy vibe.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

It is getting weirder and weirder. What is with the brain anomalies both solitary astronauts experienced? Did that happen during their hallucinations that may not be hallucinations? What is really behind the agency's relationship with the corporate giant? What is with the lifespan meter?

I'm loving all the psychological as well as philosophical twists and turns. At first, I thought that machines were on the verge of replacing humans, making humans extinct while they were then extant; but in the second episode that theory is tested by her pregnancy. A pregnancy in a woman who presumably cannot become pregnant.

There is some sort of evolution involved, but of what kind?

ETA: Oh, the hands. When she fainted, hands the size of a two year old pushed out from her belly then subsided when the boy approached. The ultrasound disclosed an appropriate weeks old fetus. Were the hands enlarged for the sake of drama or part of the story?
    Last edited by Arielflies; 07-19-2014 at 05:20 PM.
    Alexxxx likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    It is getting weirder and weirder. What is with the brain anomalies both solitary astronauts experienced? Did that happen during their hallucinations that may not be hallucinations? What is really behind the agency's relationship with the corporate giant? What is with the lifespan meter?

I'm loving all the psychological as well as philosophical twists and turns. At first, I thought that machines were on the verge of replacing humans, making humans extinct while they were then extant; but in the second episode that theory is tested by her pregnancy. A pregnancy in a woman who presumably cannot become pregnant.

There is some sort of evolution involved, but of what kind?

ETA: Oh, the hands. When she fainted, hands the size of a two year old pushed out from her belly then subsided when the boy approached. The ultrasound disclosed an appropriate weeks old fetus. Were the hands enlarged for the sake of drama or part of the story?
    I got the distinct impression that space travel had gone over to the private sector in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I got the impression that the hands were an important part of what's going on inside her. That contrary to the ultrasound, this is not a normal pregnancy, nor is it a normal baby.
    Somehow whatever is going on inside her can mask itself & look normal.

The show improved from the Premier episode. At least I understood more of what was going on. But I'm still undecided as to whether I'll stick with it or not.
    There just aren't all that many Summer series to pick from for me.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I got the impression that the hands were an important part of what's going on inside her. That contrary to the ultrasound, this is not a normal pregnancy, nor is it a normal baby.
    Somehow whatever is going on inside her can mask itself & look normal.

The show improved from the Premier episode. At least I understood more of what was going on. But I'm still undecided as to whether I'll stick with it or not.
    There just aren't all that many Summer series to pick from for me.
    Wow, you figured out that those were impressions of hands, they just looked like circles to me similar to a symbol on a wall in the previews.
    Punkin likes this.

FORT Fogey

Wow, you figured out that those were impressions of hands, they just looked like circles to me similar to a symbol on a wall in the previews.
    Same here. I didn't see them as impressions of hands. When Sam took Molly to the kennel for the ultrasound and it came out "normal," I kept thinking of what that other astronaut warned her: Don't trust ANYONE! It would be nice if Molly had one real friend, but Sam just might not be that friend.

I can't take any credit for figuring out that those were impressions of hands. They just looked like "something" pressing out to me. I got the hands idea from Arielflies post up above. If that's what they were, all credit goes there.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread