+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tyrant (FX Series)

Tyrant (FX Series)

Thought I'd go ahead and start a thread to see if there are any others on the board that will be watching. The series premiere was on the 24th. My husband and I finally watched this off our DVR and really enjoyed it. I know there were a few others on another thread that said they planned on watching.

What did you think?

Re: Tyrant (FX Series)

Sorry, but I won't be watching. The subject matter doesn't interest me so I'll make other viewing choices. It's gone from my DVR.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

We watched it and wondered in what Middle Eastern country it could have been filmed. So I Wiki'ed it and found it's filmed in Israel.

Punkin - did you like the first episode? We found it shocking, yet a good plot line so far. Made us realize that sadly, the stuff in that show happens on a daily basis in other parts of the world and reminded us just how lucky we and our children are.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I definitely plan to check this one out. Looks good.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Yes. And it was shocking. The subject was controversial enough that I couldn't imagine it being filmed in an Islamic state. Hence, the filming in Israel.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    We watched it and wondered in what Middle Eastern country it could have been filmed. So I Wiki'ed it and found it's filmed in Israel.
    The pilot was filmed in Morocco... the rest of the episodes in Israel (according to Entertainment Weekly's Alan Sepinwall who stated "The pilot episode was filmed in Morocco, which didn't have the proper infrastructure to support ongoing production, so the show now films in Israel, with a fair amount of controversy, given its fictional setting and subject.")

I've been looking forward to this one and my DVR has the pilot just sitting there waiting for me to find time

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I read a really bad review of it and its treatment of women and violence against women as a narrative tool. I just don't want to see more brutalization of women. The review didn't like the show for other reasons as well - not great acting, plot, etc. I wasn't interested before I'd read the review, but I guess if it had been a rave, I would have checked it out.
    Florimel likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'll watch for a while to see how the plot shapes up. So far, I thought there were too many stereotypes-- although I suppose the crazy older brother (son, uncle, other close male relative in line to become supreme ruler) seems to be a common occurrence, so maybe it's a valid choice-- and less about the middle east and more about the descendents of the Old King who have a tendency not to be required to conform to reasonable behavior.

I just thought the central character was played by an actor who radiated uncertainty and a down-in the mouth passivity-- which wasn't really what seemed called for. And his wife seemed either hopelessly naive or just plain dopey. If their characters don't take a left turn toward stronger presence and readiness to engage, I can't see myself watching for long. But then it seems as if they have to-- or what plot could this somewhat limp thing have.

I wasn't much for the whole sexualizing motif-- do we have to have this sort of thing pushed at us gratuitously in every "serious" show?

The situation in the middle east could be such a fascinating one for a show to explore-- but I can't say so far this one inspired confidence. But still I wasn't convinced that it had no potential either, so I"ll definitely stick with it for a while.

I love this show! From the music to the turn in plot.

I can't help but wonder how things will turn out in the future what with Barry's plans to overthrow Jamal!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast